Commuting: The strange. The Odd. And the FUN

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Undercover Mollusk

Oddometer:
    Saw at least two vehicles sweep over a traffic gore to get right off of the nose of a semi pulling a big tank. Fortunately for them the truck driver seems to have been more or less on top of his game that day. A lot of people seem like they were having serious issues with not going over the right-hand lane divider though. I saw an SUV spend a good while just following the fog-line like a taxiway. The road was fucking straight too. :fpalm
  2. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Both happen when people are looking at their phones. Target fixation is a coping trick for drunks too.
  3. palinka

palinka Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was heading to the office and lane splitting between the carpool and fast lanes. I caught up to a CHP motorcycle officer who was doing the same as they are usually looking for carpool violators.
    Anyways, he quickly catches up to a guy on a Ninja 250 who was lane splitting ever so slowly, and had ducked into the carpool lane when he saw the cop catching up to him. The cop starts gesticulating to him, looks like he was trying to tell the guy that it's cool to lane split, pointing at the back of his CHP cruiser, telling the guy to follow him. So Ninja guy follows the cop, and I follow them. It was nice getting a police lead as we lane split.
    Thought it was a cool experience to see a Chippy give some pointers to a fellow rider.
  4. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    No cellphones required. I've been in the offending vehicle before and people genuinely do just lack the ability to track in a lane. I've actually had to point out to the driver that they're on the wrong side of the DY before. And as for the traffic gore, people actually complain about how unfair it is that they aren't allowed to drive on it. People do it deliberately and consider doing it to be a sign of some sort of advanced skillset.
  5. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a truck driver I can tell you that no matter how many vehicles In a merge lane I yield to, 2 to 3 sometimes more will cut across the gore point to get ahead of me. The frosting on the cake is how often they will express displeasure I didn't give them more room to cut in from the gore point or even from the the shoulder past it.
    I believe if I just stopped on the freeway and yielded to 1000 vehicles, the moment I started moving again someone would jump in front of me and flip me off for not yielding to them.
  6. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    If you stopped on the freeway to let 1000 vehicles into your lane then they'd still pile up into a clump at the end of the merge lane and fight each other through it, just to enter the freeway. That' how I imagine the Bay Area at least. Not sure how things work up in Washington.
  7. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I've been living (and riding) in the DFW area for almost a year now. I'm convinced I'm going to get killed on the road here.
    People are maniacs. The fact that I get off work at 0500 and ride home in the dark certainly doesn't help the situation. I literally feel myself getting apprehensive as I don my ATGATT every morning.

So I'll say goodbye now, it was nice meeting you all! :imaposer
    mitchapalooza and Grestil like this.
  8. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, for sure same here. I was just being facetious in that no matter how many vehicles one yields to in a truck, someone is going to get bent out of shape because you didn't yield to THEM, because nobody wants to be behind one.....
    Even at risk to their life, and others.
  9. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    I'd rather be behind a semi than in front of one. Being crowded up by semis is pretty normal for me at this point. I suspect that a lot of the drivers are pretty new, considering that there's a shitload of vehicles that saw "SWIFT" or "Flexi-Van" and that none of them can turn without swinging out into another lane of the freeway. There's a guy who's been hauling mail around who has a bad habit of just changing lanes into other vehicles. Asshole almost hit me with his cab at the end of a zipper merge. I was merging traffic and he was changing lanes to the right (into the lane with which the zipper was zippering) at the end of the merge. I've seen the same vehicle do the same things to other cars since.

No fun having to commute over a busy trucking route, especially since Oakland doesn't maintain its roads.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  10. Woonjas

Woonjas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I definitely noticed the change in behavior around me on the road when I moved from my first car (a beat up Citroën AX which looked like it came from a demolition derby), to my first company car (a brand new Seat Cordoba).
    With the Citroën I only had to use my turn signal and there would be space in the lane next to me to move over, not so much when driving the nice new car.
    neanderthal and Motorius like this.
  11. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Yup. ...and I'm only in a Sprinter!

I'm constantly amazed that people have so little awareness of how little room they're leaving me.

M
  12. Grestil

Grestil 2+2=unicorn

Oddometer:

Ain't it the truth! I grew up in these parts and it has gotten much worse. People take enormous risks for a car length and take it very personal like if they don't get it. I don't ride in Dallas during the day anymore. Gearing up I would say to myself, This is how Max must have felt just before he entered the thunderdome!
    Vinz Klortho likes this.
  13. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday while waiting to turn left at a stoplight that doesn't have a turn arrow, you have to wait until it's clear. The oncoming traffic just keeps coming, doesn't matter if the light is turning yellow or has just turned red. They just keep on coming. So, maybe one car gets to actually turn left. As I'm was watching this take place yesterday, I'm thinking, where is a cop when you need one? :hmmmmm Wait! there's one right there!! Oh, he's one of the offenders running thru the yellow turning red light. :fpalm

A few months back I'm approaching an intersection when I see a car doing a rolling stop. I'm starting to slow down and assess my next move. The car did eventually stop but guess who was driving it? A cop. Mmm, I'm glad it wasn't me doing that to him as I would have undoubtedly gotten a little reward for that driving stunt. (In case you are thinking that maybe he was on the way to a call, no, he was on his way in to work. The police station is near where I work and he followed me in)

This isn't to dump on the police but more of a way of pointing out that the lax way most people now drive has infected them too.
    Even Madder Matt likes this.
  14. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I would avoid that intersection. Ride around it. I avoid dangerous roads and intersections. Its a drag but that is my decision to ride around where traffic is out of control or the road is so bad it is dangerous.
    Rippin209 and Turismo9999 like this.
  15. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my over-55 community I roll every stop. It’s not safe to stop as THEY roll every stop.
  16. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same with me! If I’m in my beat to hell 95 S-10, I don’t have a problem with people cutting me off or blocking me in because it looks like I don’t give one single fuck about my car. My 2014 Jeep though is shiny and new, and people merge right into me all the time.

Charles.
  17. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I rode all the way from Poughkeepsie to Watkins Glen this weekend. about 250 miles on beautiful rural back roads. Downtown Ithaca was a traffic zoo. Mixed in with the race fans and Cornell students were some very cool friendly locals and also some of the most abominable white trash on the planet. I was riding back from dinner in the dark and rain on a 4 lane city boulevard and I started using a 20 year old Chrysler Minivan as a traffic blocker on my right. I looked right and through their van at intersections. Full of ugly poor people but I wasn't looking at them. The 70 year old toothlless hag driving it started glaring back at me, hurling obscenities out the window. Bitch is staring at me like a blood hungry zombie - to prove how tough she is I suppose..????. and she almost crashes into a car exiting a parking lot. By this time I am already hard on the brakes. She swerves left into my lane, her Marlboro still blazing in her mouth and tries to overtake the car, screaming and waving her hands. Her " family" ( who else would ride with her???) giving me the finger out the back window as they roared away.

This is America.
    RTPete and Motorius like this.
  18. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went 7 years on the street with only minor accidents resulting in scrapes, moved to DFW and had 2 bikes totaled in the 2 years I lived there by inattentive drivers. Luckily I came out OK, but I nearly stopped riding altogether because of that area.
  19. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I was :jack reading your adventure!
  20. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's an argument to made that you have cause and effect mixed up...
    Sal Pairadice likes this.