Commuting: The strange. The Odd. And the FUN

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    In California a vehicle has to be clearly marked as a police vehicle to pull you over. It's the law.
    Also only CHP has jurisdiction on the freeways. If you run a stop sign on city streets then get on the freeway, the police officer can follow you and pull you over and ticket you or the Cali stop.

I only ever slowed down for actual CHP on the freeways. It infuriated me to see 4 lanes of traffic going 65 because some cop was in a marked car on his daily commute to work.
    On my bike i'd split right past to acres and acres of open freeway in front of me. In the car i'd just sit and seethe.
    khager likes this.
  2. millman84

millman84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The local news has made a point to say several times that an unmarked car will always have a uniformed officer at the wheel. I know that may not hold true everywhere.
  3. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not true.
    Also not true.
  4. Beemer Dood

Beemer Dood Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This assumes that you are not in an area where there are many smaller jurisdictions. If you were, there's no way for them to tell you if it's ANOTHER PD's unit that is following you. Keep going long enough and you might be pitted.
  5. Beemer Dood

Beemer Dood Been here awhile

Oddometer:

An unmarked vehicle CAN make a traffic stop, all he needs is a siren and a "steady‒burning red light." What you're referring to is a general guideline regarding the enforcement of traffic laws.

But any color car, marked or unmarked, can make a traffic stop.

Many if not most local jurisdictions have agreements with adjacent jurisdictions that they can enforce the law for a designated distance (sometimes 1/2 mile) outside their boundaries, and on any section of freeway that falls within the physical boundaries of that jurisdiction.

This is accurate.

If he drove over the speed limit, he'd get complaints for speeding.

I used to be one of those "cops" driving the speed limit on my "daily commute to work." I had many people pass me, some going well over the speed limit, if it was too far over the limit, they'd get tickets. I always left home early so I wouldn't have to use the "I was giving a speeder a ticket" excuse for being late for briefing.
    OV10 likes this.
  6. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I actually know that and i'm looking at my post thinking "dafuq were you thinking typing that crap?" I'll blame the meds ... :lol3
    Any police officer can pull you over, but if they're doing traffic enforcement it should be in a clearly marked car.
    davidji likes this.
  7. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my way into work this morning there was a car followed by a van in front of me approaching a 4 way stop intersection. The car proceeds to slow down and stop but the van slams on its brakes and swerves around the car and speeds thru the intersection. Fortunately, there were no other vehicles at the intersection. When I looked closer at the back of the van it all made sense. He had an extra large Batman sticker in his back window. It must have been the Batman in his backup car on the way to stop a crime! :lol3
    ThruTheDunes likes this.
  8. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    Wonder if there were any cases of the opposite happening? That is, a fake cop pulling someone over in an fake unmarked car and then getting assaulted/raped?
  9. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Britain police cars are clearly marked. The police want you to identify them and see them and ask them for help. Their job is to protect people.

In the USA, the police hide. They don’t want to be seen and identified, they want to catch and punish people.

It’s a huge difference. The police culture here is scary as fuck.

Charles.
    Snowbird, runpet, Rider2 and 4 others like this.
  10. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    :scratch Uh...I'm pretty sure Britain has unmarked police cruisers also.

:scratchUh...I'm pretty sure the vast majority of law enforcement vehicles are clearly marked and easy to find when needed.

:scratchUh... :scratch
    MannyUrrego likes this.
  11. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not just you.....
    MannyUrrego likes this.
  12. ThruTheDunes

ThruTheDunes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do recall a news story a while ago about a fake cop who pulled over a real cop on his way to work. It did not end well for the fake cop. Afraid I don't recall the details (where/jurisdiction, etc.), but I do recall appreciating the karma of the situation.
  13. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where I grew up, there was a guy who made up an unmarked car- lights under the grill and so on. Used it to pull over pretty young women late at night. Cops would find the car sitting there, often with driver's license on the seat, no trace of the driver.
    I was more into SAR then and spent a lot of time searching for the women. No trace ever found, despite a LOT of people and hours put in. IIRC, perp was never found.
  14. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    JaySwear and Woonjas like this.
  15. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    So in some municipalities, but not the entire USA as Charles would suggest.
  16. pjgoeman

pjgoeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I was stuck on a two lane road in a bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic jam, just what you want on a hot afternoon. Because I hate that clutch in and out wobble every time the traffic moves ten feet I usually just sit until there's at least 30 feet or more before I move. Apparently that was too much for the lady behind me so she pulled out onto the shoulder and went around so she could be stopped in front of me instead of behind me.

It's a good thing I don't have a get back whip on my BMW or she would have regretted that move for the rest of her life!
  17. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    I always think its funny when folks want to be doing the same thing...just 20 foot up the road. Like when some risks it all to pass you while your stuck behind slow traffic. Now they are still going the same speed as before the crazy maneuver...but they are 20' further up the road, so it was all worth it. :fpalm
    neanderthal, OV10 and Turismo9999 like this.
  18. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dunno bout that, but here's a fake cop who pulled over a van full of real cops.

Fake cop busted after pulling over van full of real detectives
    https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...fter-pulling-over-van-full-of-real-detectives
    Police in the New York City suburbs say they’ve arrested a fake cop who tried to pull over real detectives.

Nassau County police say Valiery Portlock sounded a horn and flashed emergency lights Friday morning as he an attempt to pull over a van in Hicksville, Long Island.

The unmarked van turned out to be occupied by detectives from the department’s electronics squad.

Police say that once the detectives identified themselves and approached his vehicle, the 25-year-old Portlock swerved his Nissan Sentra into oncoming traffic and sped to the Long Island Expressway.

Police say highway patrol officers eventually pulled Portlock over and arrested him without incident.

Dufus.

[​IMG]
  19. Nytebreed

Nytebreed Need more braaap

Oddometer:
    Behind a distracted driver on the commute this morning. This is not surprising, what was though was the distraction.
    Numbnuts was trying to untangle electrical cables of some type, a big messy knot of em.
    FFS.
  20. pinocono

pinocono Fucking Pirate

Oddometer:
    The oddest thing happened this morning on my commute. I rode up behind a Prius in the #1 lane, and they moved over to the #2. Must be the end of days.