Commuting: The strange. The Odd. And the FUN

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Laboratory Rat

Laboratory Rat böser meister geist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I nearly got rear ended a couple days ago. I typically favor the left side of a lane for an escape route when stopped at traffic lights, and watch my mirrors for the driver behind me to stop. No sooner do I check my mirror do I see what's about to happen. At the last moment the driver sees me and moves to their right. I wouldn't have been quick enough on the clutch to get out of the way, but the favoring the left side of the lane saved my ass.

Stay vigilant out there inmates!
    Motorius likes this.
  2. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you dodged the bullet, brother!
    Laboratory Rat likes this.
  3. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Every once in a while they pull their heads out of their asses. :nod

M
    neanderthal and pinocono like this.
  4. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Must have been looking at their cellphone and drifted into Lane #2.
  5. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    #2 son got hit in his work truck last Thursday.

Four lanes westbound SR-520 by I-405 Junction in Bellevue WA. Far right lane goes N on 405, 2nd to right goes under 405 and heads S. Other 2 lanes continue West.

Son slowing in 2nd lane. Car cuts right in front of him causing him to slow even faster and stop sooner. Watched vehicle in rear mirror to make sure they stop, and when they do he figured they’re fine.

Nope.

Car behind the one behind them is either phone addled or coming in too fast. Cant stop in time so swerves right to lane #1. Hits car in that lane and ping pongs into right rear of my son’s truck. Son said he thought truck was going to flip over as it got pushed sideways but he countersteered it and managed to avoid the car in front of him. Car that hit him continued on to hit a car in lane #3 no less, and that woman got quite a head gash as he described it.

Son got out, pulled first aid kit and rendered aid but also realized he was too beat up to drive so got a ride to the ER. Got the workup. Whiplash. Pretty much hurt for two days but doing better.

Had the one car not cut him off the whole accident would have avoided him. Had he been on a bike he’d have been seriously creamed. I didn’t share that 2nd thought with him or his mom.

This is a known choke point with bad traffic from (nowadays) 2pm onward. The driver that hit him and 2 other cars is one serious asshat. I hope their insurance drops them for wiping out 4 cars and injuring two other drivers. I could care less if they got hurt.

Thankfully he’s fine, it was on work time in a work truck so he won’t have to deal with any of this.

Everyone is in such a fucking hurry nowadays...
  6. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Folks act like if they miss thier exit / road that they'll fall off the edge of the earth. I've seen similar last-second (and beyond) exit lane merges. I'm always a like "Dude, you've had the past two miles to get in this lane, and you use the last two feet?" They either stay in the other lane to pass as many people as possible, or they just plain miss thier exit until the last second. But if you miss your exit, its not the end of the world. Go to the next exit, get on the other direction, come back to your exit, and don't miss it this time.
    You see the same crap at intersections. Had a lady almost hit me on the bike at an intersection. Me and the opposing lane both had green left arrows. This lady was in the opposing Strait lane, but she needed to turn left. So she moves into the intersection with the green left arrow and "merges" in with the left-bound traffic. Luckily I caught her maneuver early and dodged her front bumper. She could have just waited until the next intersection, turned around, and went the right way the second time. But once again, people act like the way they don't want to go leads to the edge of the earth or something.
    Davethestick and neanderthal like this.
  7. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    Here in the Metromess, one thing they do that I like is every exit has a U turn lane before you get to the crossroad. There is no reason to panic if you miss an exit, take the next one and come back to your road from the other side. Still people panic, lock up their brakes and make stupid lane changes to get to their exit. I don't understand their logic or the people who insist on trying to turn left out of unguarded crossings in heavy traffic. Just turn right and U turn at the next light.
    HuntWhenever and neanderthal like this.
  8. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Might have been OK if he'd gone around rather than stopped. I guess the decision for when to stop with traffic or go around is different in lane splitting areas vs the other kind, but it should be useful to have in mind. I have a rule to never stop with traffic on the freeway. Yeah it gets violated sometimes. But it helps avoid it most of the time.

FWIW I was rear ended in freeway traffic once when I did stop. Cop on the scene asked why I wasn't lane splitting.

Similar to your son's case it wasn't the vehicle behind me--it was the one behind that.
    mminob likes this.
  9. vfrpete

vfrpete Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saw this the other day while driving home from work. I can't decide if I want to give the driver credit for pulling this off, or give him a dope slap! 20190904_152510.jpg
  10. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks better secured than most contractor loads. I say Good Job.
    Ctscrambler and vfrpete like this.
  11. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in Lewiston, Idaho. The main highway up out of the valley is the Lewiston Grade. Several miles of curvy uphill with grades up to 7%. Loaded semis run the right lane at 20-30mph or less.
    EVERY DAY on the way to work, I would see at least one idiot who would get right up on one of the semis, hit the brakes and flip on the left turn signal. They seem to expect somebody in the left lane at 65-70mph to hit the brakes and let their 25mph selves in. WTF? You can see the semis for a couple of miles and have plenty of time to change lanes before you are riding their ass.
    But no....
  12. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    They are all around us, i swear.

Idiots. Idiots are all around us!
  13. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Undercover Mollusk

Oddometer:
    Yeah but, to be fair, people are constantly being told that they need to do more and that they need to do all of it more quickly. I was actually thinking about my own anger issues last night, and at some point I realized how much of my life has been spent being taught to constantly fight battles (mostly against some mode of failure).
  14. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A guy I knew said one day, just in passing, "I used to be a real sonofabitch but I gave it up. It took too much energy and nothing ever changed." That was a slap-upside-the-head moment for me. I started trying to calm down and just let go of things I couldn't do anything about. It's made a difference.
  15. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    Personally, I like to watch an episode of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood every now and then.

Pulled this one more or less at random, but it's definitely appropriate for this thread.

16. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Social media certainly adds to this.

I’m so glad I was a kid in the 60’s and not part of a younger generation. IMHO we were more free and people were not so angry.
    Undocumented and ThruTheDunes like this.
  17. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    I don't think that the neuroses are anything new, but there is a mind bogglingly gigantic industry that basically revolves around provoking and arousing them and it wasn't technically possible back when you were a kid.
    Motorius likes this.
  18. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see that here as well. It could be a semi or a Cat 950 loader with a snow plow and LOTS of yellow flashing lights but they are invisible to some idiots.
    No wonder they claim they can't see a motorcycle
    Undocumented likes this.
  19. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles are actually pretty well camoflauged, even if they're painted in conspicous day-glo colors. It's really easy to miss something with a tiny, broken up profile even if you're on top of your game.
  20. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So yesterday morning just after I get on the urban interstate near my house, the traffic grinds to a sudden halt. Oh, great. I see flashing lights about 100 yards ahead, and some police vehicles blocking the lanes. WTF!?

Being taught from an early age to question authority, I snake my way between the cars and rode up to the front of the line. Dismounted and walked up to see the problem. One of the officers walked back towards me, and I decided it would be good to "play nice."

"Good morning, officer, what's the problem?"

"Presidential motorcade comin' through. Should be a few more minutes."

Oh yeah, I did hear on the radio that The Donald was in New Mexico. By the time I got back to the bike the traffic was flowing.

First time I ever got sidelined by a Presidential Motorcade. Always somethin' new.

--Doc
    mitchapalooza and khager like this.