Commuting: The strange. The Odd. And the FUN

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Where do you stand on lanesplitting? What can you tell us about the experience? (Outside of the anecdote.)
  2. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Seconded.

And put those cameras at the traffic lights to ticket everybody who uses the phone while driving. All in favor say "aye."
    250senuf, Turismo9999 and Bt10 like this.
  3. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    The camera should also have the bus speed recorded. I see school buses do well over the speed limit all the time.
  4. pjgoeman

pjgoeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I drive a school bus on rural mountain roads in CO. We have cameras inside the bus that record students and drivers but no external cameras because even if cars passing the bus were recorded there is no legal mechanism to do anything about it. State legislators need to put laws in place to take advantage of this technology to ticket drivers that pass a bus when the red lights are flashing. My school district would add the external cams in a heartbeat but they're not going to spend the money without the laws to back them up.

Our buses are also tracked by gps so speed info is available for supervisors to review although they only do that if someone calls in a complaint (and people do frequently call in with complaints about everything under the sun).
  5. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    That handles the a-holes who don't have time to stop for safety, as they're unlikely to drive when their licenses are taken.

Now, for the other population I'm not sure what kind of control is warranted: I've only been in a handful of accidents, none of which were deemed my fault due to clear idiocy of the other driver, typically when they argue with the cop and show a blatant misunderstanding of the rules of the road. However, not a single person who has made car-to-car contact with my vehicles has actually had a valid driver's license. That part worries me.
  6. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bad hot button for me, I watched a little girl get hit by a driver doing this. DOA at the hospital. The penalty should be severe, and include jail time.
  7. Tall Man

Tall Man I'm out in the club and I'm sippin' that bub

Oddometer:
    In that instance, I'd hope that the judge did what he [legitimately] could do to ensure incarceration for the negligent driver. Do you know how it ended?
  8. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope. I saw it happen, and a friend of mine was working in the ER when she came in. Don't recall anything from the news about it.
    It was a long time ago.
  9. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Undercover Mollusk

Oddometer:
    In general, hit and runs involving children don't seem to be deemed newsworthy. It's actually been a pretty big problem in Oakland and San Francisco, in part because there isn't much that the police can really do about it even when there's footage.
  10. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
    If memory serves, buses in Montgomery County, MD have cameras near the stop sign on the driver's side, specifically for this purpose. They have lots of speed cameras, red-light cameras, and laws on the books for school-bus-passers.
  11. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Must be different in Texas because my girlfriend’s mother got ticketed when she unknowingly continued without stopping (she had just moved to the country).
  12. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Equip the busses with a pair of 50 cal guns and shoot any fucker that passes the bus when the bus is stopped and lights are flashing.
    squonker, 1911fan and 250senuf like this.
  13. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    I remember an advertisement in the praries about snow ploughs
    It went something like....
    We have big reflective strips on our ploughs
    We have a bunch of big flashing yellow lights on our ploughs.
    We have flashing red lights on our ploughs.
    Every year our plows get hit by careless drivers.
    What more do we need.... a tail gunner.

It was in a cartoon format and at the end a tail gunner would pop out of the plough.
  14. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    Around here, we have snow PLOWS.
  15. oldgrizz

Oddometer:
    Good for you.
  16. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Around here we also have snow plows.
    Just the other day the city got them all out for a practice run. The plows drove all their normal routes. It made the local news! It was a beautiful sunny day in the low 70s .
    They need the practice because they only get to use them a couple time each year.
    mitchapalooza likes this.
  17. mjc506

mjc506 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last winter, one of our plow/gritter lorries was out clearing roads nearby, and was hit from behind by a marked police car... The police officer insisted that the lorry didn't leave until a police photographer had arrived to 'document' the scene. Unfortunately, this photographer would have had a 3 hour drive on a normal day, and as the plow had been stopped, many of the surrounding roads had to be closed due to snow.

Big yellow lorry, flashing lights, reflective markings, spraying grit everywhere, big plow on the front, travelling fairly slowly, hit by a "trained" police officer. He somehow survived that incident, but is no longer driving for the police following another incident where he overtook a line of traffic which was waiting behind a car turning off the road into a driveway, which he then ran into.
    Turismo9999, Bt10 and c_m_shooter like this.
  18. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    Truck crash on 1&9 in Jersey City, NJ - diesel on the road for a mile and more as vehicles driving through spread it even further. White knuckle commute - front wheel slid out a couple times on low speed breaking but I managed to keep it upright.
    I thought yesterday was bad with cold rain close to freezing both ways.
    Welcome to fall in NJ :-)
  19. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This morning I was following a slow moving car. We both made a right hand turn at the stop sign and with no traffic coming I passed him on a double yellow section of road. I pull into gas station, 2 miles away and who pulls up behind me? The same car I had passed.
    He was a combination of concern and chastisement. I didn't want this to turn into a confrontation, especially as I had done the illegal pass, so I messed with him, telling him that I didn't want to offend him by being behind him. :D He does this :scratch And then sounding like a parrot, kept repeating for me not to pass like that. I just smiled and nodded and told him to have a good day.
    I'm still perplexed why he would follow me just to tell me this? Let it go, amigo, let it go.
    He's probably one of these drivers who sits in the left lane on the highway enforcing the speed limit.
    mminob likes this.
  20. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    They're out there. Sounds like you found one.

M
    vasuvius likes this.