Commuting: The strange. The Odd. And the FUN

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got adaptive cruise control on my VW. Yes, I can set the length of distance it'll follow a car. At it's closest follow distance for you to pull in front of me is a borderline dick move. In the metro area, if I use it, it's always set on that closest distance level.

It's a bit weird to get used to as you're not really sure it's gonna hit the brakes. I haven't used it enough to totally get to trust it...
  2. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had adaptive cruise on my last 3 cars and love it. With adaptive cruise, I can stay in my lane and keep a safe distance no matter the speed. If I don't like the speed the car in front has chosen, I just pass them and get back to whatever speed I set. I was in stop/go traffic on the New Jersey Turnpike the other day and it slowed me down to a complete stop when necessary.
  3. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Child of the Magenta Line

Oddometer:
    Are you doing arithmetic on the fly to figure out the proper (spacial) distance for the current conditions? Either way, there's empirical evidence these days that doing that makes traffic worse. It's really not that hard to just stay engaged, and you'll outperform whatever software they loaded up into your car if you do...

It's also not really a "borderline dick move" for somebody to wang their car into an uncomfortably tight space if everybody is insisting on only leaving gaps that tiny. Things are always going to be difficult and riddled with conflict if your relationship with the world defaults to adversarial.
  4. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    WSP? ISP?
  5. onebadscrambler

onebadscrambler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably Wisconsin and Idaho state police
    1911fan likes this.
  6. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s a borderline dick move to slam
    into a space where there basically isn’t room. Whether or not the person is using adaptive cruise is irrelevant.
  7. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    It kind of is. If everybody is using their adaptive cruise control to maintain a gap that small then those are the only gaps that people are going to merge into. Why not just pay attention to landmarks and just see whether you can count to three (more, obviously, if somebody decides to cop a shitty attitude and ride your rear bumper) before you pass which ever one the car right in front of you just passed? I do it all the time in profoundly shitty traffic, I don't really end up going slower than people in my lane (in terms of the average speed, not in terms of those millisecond long bursts of speed right into the ass end of another vehicle) and traffic flows smoothly around me. I make the same time as cars that I've seen weaving around miles back too and barely ever brake hard. It's not that hard to plan for a car to merge in front of you. You should already be ready for that to happen, to be totally honest, since that's just how traffic works. It's way more of a dick move to maneuver to prevent people from changing into your lane, to be totally honest.
    nwbobber likes this.
  8. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  9. boomhwr

boomhwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wouldn’t it be Washington State Police? Wisconsin and IDaho are a long ways apart, but troopers gotta troop!
    Motorius likes this.
  10. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably more like Wisconsin State Patrol and Illinois State Patrol. Probably I-90 or I-94
  11. onebadscrambler

onebadscrambler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably, I was just guessing. The original post was from 1911fan who is from Idaho. My geography is a little off as I do not get that far north.
  12. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t know if you were referring to me, but I meant he would race ahead in the open right lane in front of me, then come up behind a slow car and slow down, meanwhile I’m paying attention and just move over to the left lane and make my way past, while he finally is looking for me to get out of his way. Complete the pass and move to right, he races ahead. Repeat...
  13. Hopin

Hopin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    COWS! Yep, this morning it was cows in the road and lying on the shoulder of the road. I guess we all have our hazards, urban, suburban, and city. For me it's mostly deer and other smaller nocturnal animals, along with a greasy opossum smeared across the road in your curve! (That's why I don't out run my head lights on dark curves) I did awaken the farmer and notify him, as I grew up farming and know he's responsible if one is hit.

My belief is that all these so called driver aids are making worse drivers, not better! Drivers feel comfortable ignoring their piloting duties, while the machine drives for them. However, I do wish they would make a system that would make texters cars stop on red and go on green!
    CaptCapsize, MapleRoad and Rippin209 like this.
  14. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
    My new to me 2018 F150 has adaptive cruise and it has been a learning curve.

Set it at your max speed and just go. You can adjust distance from way to far away to way to close. For the most part it is fine. If you leave it to far away someone will shoot the gap to get to another lane....and the truck will brake hard since it is trying to maintain the following distance. You would ignore it as a human since you know they are just cutting across and won't be a factor.

You also realize quickly how badly people hold speed.

Full on stop and go is interesting. You shorten up the follow distance and never touch the gas or brake. Comes to a full stop and starts off on its own if it sits less than 5 seconds (if longer than 5 tap the gas and away it goes). Very freaky. You have to trust to not touch brake or the system shuts off. Those first couple of full stops in heavy traffic are heart in mouth as you foot hovers over the brake pedal....but then you realize it does actually work. I still don't trust it.

It seems to work best in light smoothly flowing traffic or heavy stop and go. The mixed traffic with lots of variable speed and cut and thrust driving it doesn't predict at all and over reacts.

I drove a new BMW x5 that has cruise that reads the speed signs and gps data and will only allow you to go at the speed limit. If you apply the gas the car does NOTHING until you have it nearly floored....it also reacts as you go up or down in speed based on the signs. So you leave town at 25, then it sees the sign and goes to 35...then 45. Also very freaky.
    neanderthal and Rippin209 like this.
  15. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMO it simply magnifies what we've all observed, both on our bikes and in our cages. You're coming up on someone at maybe 3-5 MPH faster than them, change lanes to glide on by and the distance stops closing because they speed up a little, too. You speed up a little more, they speed up a little more. Repeat. Finally get pissed and pin it to blast past them (now you're going 20+ MPH faster than you were at first). You get past them. You hold speed, they get slightly smaller in the mirror, slightly smaller,... then suddenly they're just a dot as they realize how fast they're going and slow down to the speed they were going in the first place.
    Completely agree.
    That's a setting you can turn on or off. Mine is off.
  16. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    I wonder how that would work in some of the small towns around here. There's not always a 55 MPH sign at the egde of town when leaving...so the system would still think it's in a 25 MPH zone when your 5 miles outside of town. :dunno
  17. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    I kind of get your point, but they're cars not airplanes. You're supposed to be able to make nitnoid adjustments to your speed without really having to think about it at all.
  18. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I drive the same areas as you at times, how often do people leave a proper gap of 3 or 4 sec?
    Is it even 1%?

I wouldn't encourage weaving in and out of traffic in any conditions with any vehicle, the odds of collisions goes up drastically with all that braking, gassing and lane changes, just pointing out in congested areas with aggressive drivers it requires adopting more aggressive defensive driving

With light traffic or at least flowing traffic I use my regular cruise control often, that's mostly due to the amount of miles I'm driving usually
  19. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    Most people have decided that it's un-possible. Most people just absentmindedly haul ass into the leading vehicle once they realize that it's moved away from them.

Bay Area drivers honestly make their own problems. Then they get upset because they don't know how to solve them. So they get pissed off and create even more problems.
  20. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fun ride today between Globe AZ and Hayden AZ.

had a guy come over the double yellow in a turn on me. Seriously, if you can’t keep your car in your lane slow the fuck down.
    neanderthal and HuntWhenever like this.