Commuting: The strange. The Odd. And the FUN

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    I've heard of that last one being enforced. It was a coworker from China who had trouble wrapping his mind around being required to get out of the way of faster traffic when he was going the speed limit. Lots of Americans have trouble with that as well. I blame a combination of poor driver's ed, and nearly useless DMV written exams.
  2. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Child of the Magenta Line

Oddometer:
    People get pretty upset with me for doing the speed limit in the right lane.

Based on actually talking to people (around here at least), they're just genuinely terrified of changing lanes. That's where a lot of your tailgating and lane camping comes from, I think.

Incidentally, it's illegal to exceed the speed limit to pass. So that might have something to do with what seems to be lax enforcement. :dunno
  3. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I blame spotty near non existent enforcement.

My aunt, when she had just attained her license, was doing 30mph on the freeway, in the slow lane (new driver!) got pulled over and got a harsh talking to. Literally the only case i've heard of. If more people were getting pulled over, and being ticketed, that shit would change real fast.

But lets not bring common sense into this.
    Rippin209 likes this.
  4. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a car in front of me toss a cigarette. It got sucked into my trucks fresh air intake. My truck smelled like an ashtray for a couple weeks. I wished bad karma on the offender.

Tossing anything out the window is littering and therefore illegal. It is only a momentary act, so observation and enforcement is statistically highly unlikely. In Colorado I believe the fine for tossing a lit cigarette butt out the window carries a much higher fine than just regular littering.

Since enforcement is more about generating revenue LEOs will concentrate on speeders. And there is no shortage of potential revenue sources.
  5. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    From this morning's commute on the Africa Twin. The Tesla on the left had just collided with the yellow barrels with a loud thump. Better than if it hit the concrete barrier they were protecting. My guess is this was a Tesla intelligent cruise control (or whatever they call the one drives for you on the road your on) error.

vlcsnap-2020-01-22-20h10m53s641.png
    Devo 1 and neanderthal like this.
  6. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Raining this morning, on my way to work. I see a car coming out of a shopping center, and I can see he is going to exit right in front of me. I start immediately flashing my headlight so he can see i'm there (it's raining, remember) and he stops. Then goes, basically cutting me off.
    I suspected this was going to happen and immediately slam on my brakes. Fuck. Wet surface. Abrupt inputs. Weight transfer. These things race through my mind as evidence of my impending low or high side. I manage to keep it under control and stop 3 feet off his rear bumper with my thumb on the horn the whole time. DCT for the win! (second time it's saved my ass by letting me just brake and not worry about clutch, downshift, rev match, any of that bullshit.)

I filter next to this cretin who looks straight ahead like he can't see me. I knock loudly on his window and he rolls it down. So i told him in no uncertain terms that he could have killed me with that stunt. He apologises. And I say "your being sorry doesn't teach my son how to play baseball when i'm dead, does it?" No answer. "Does it?" :jerko

No.

I filter to the front (i'm enraged but I can't let that be my over riding emotion.) I get to work in one piece, on time. Only to find i'm seventy five minutes early! :fpalm
    redneckK20 likes this.
  7. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    I had a similar experience last week. The guy started to pull out, stopped suddenly then gunned it and pulled in front of me. I could tell by his actions and look of recognition on his face that he saw me. And he must have known he was cutting me off because he accelerated quickly as he pulled out and away. The guy saw me, realized I was too close for him to proceed, stopped, then changed his mind and knowingly pulled out right in front of me. There must be some kind of quirk in the human thought process that causes this kind of dumb behavior because it's not uncommon. I've seen this before, like when a woman started to turn left in front of me and other times. I have deliberately sort of trained myself to not do this. I think riding a bicycle and motorcycle has made me aware of this behavior and I don't do it anymore. I think we could prevent a lot of wrecks if people were trained to stop and reassess things when they have a sudden inkling that something is amiss, rather than to just go for it, which seems to be our natural tendency.
    neanderthal likes this.
  8. neanderthal

Oddometer:

My philosophy is; if you merge, turn, make a lane change and the car behind you has to brake, you shouldn't have done that. The only exceptions are on heavily trafficked highways in peak traffic because there's no other way.
  9. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Occasionally people use the flashing headlight gesture as a "you can go ahead" sign. Maybe he misinterpreted your usage? This is one of the reasons I try to not use my flashing-brights much...bad protocol...too many uses (passing, danger ahead, go ahead, etc.).
    JustMikey, e30_325es, Rider2 and 3 others like this.
  10. Roads and Trails

Roads and Trails Just Ridin' Along Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in the 60's I was riding my black bike, wearing a black Belstaff suit, looking pretty bad-ass (in my own mind).

A Rambler station wagon pulled out in front of me on a two lane city street. Even with the pitiful brakes of the day I was able to slow enough to avoid a collision.

Furious, I pulled up next to the Rambler at the next intersection. All the wagons windows were down (summer in Kansas) so the whole family, Dad, Mom and two little kids got the full benefit of my anger.

Before I could get out a full sentence I saw the whole family was scared to death of me. I stopped yelling, speechless. I felt two feet tall.

The dad started to say he was sorry but I stopped him, saying how sorry I was to have frightened his family. I wished them a good day, tucked my tail between my legs, and slowly rode away.
    Kikemon likes this.
  11. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought the same.
  12. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Mostly I use it for "I see you, make your lane change". Tonight I gave a quick flash to a rider after he split past me with high beams on. I had also given him a palm pushing down sign which sometimes means slow down, but I hope he interpreted as dim your light.
  13. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple of years ago I nearly pulled out in front of another bike while on mine.
    Middle of the day, but a heavily shaded area of RT 50.
    It a short bike, Sportster I think.
    Black bike, rider wearing black, no headlight on.
    I rolled up, looked and just started to let the clutch out when something stopped me.
    Looking again I saw him. No way he would have not hit me.
    This is why I have added lightning on my bike.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  14. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lo
    Loud lights save lives.
    250senuf and HuntWhenever like this.
  15. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought headlight any time the bike is running was a federal requirement in the states? That's why the bikes that might have a headlight switch in Europe have that disabled or removed at the factory if they're destined for the US market...isn't it?
    "Ninja riding" is a pet peeve of mine. Replace your damned headlight when it burns out, people. :becca

"...When something stopped me." I know that feeling. I've tried to train my brain to look for something missing as much as for things I can see, if that makes sense. It saved my butt on my first cruiser. I was going down the Blue Ridge Parkway from Boone, NC to Asheville after dark and I noticed a yellow reflector blink out in the road ahead. It didn't really register past a feeling of "something's off and it wasn't before," so I slowed down and started really paying attention. I'm glad I did because it turned out to be a mama black bear and her cub that had been crossing the road, but paused when my headlight hit them. Several hundred pounds of maternal-protective matt-black fur straddling the double yellow between S-curves. Nooo thank you! You go right on ahead, ma'am! I'll just wait back here until you've decided to finish crossing!
    TonyKZ1 and HuntWhenever like this.
  16. ivantheterrible

ivantheterrible Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful commute this morning. Purple sky, 60 degrees, low traffic.
  17. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has been a mild winter so far here in western Michigan. Yesterday while driving in it was in the 20's with a forecast high in the 40's and I was thinking that if this was March I would be riding in. There are two bridges that I go over and yesterday I saw ahead that there was a police car with it's lights on sitting on the side of the road. As I got closer I noticed that even though it hadn't snowed or rained and the roads seemed clear and dry, there was a 100' section of ice on the second bridge. A truck has lost it on that section and was smashed up against a wall. :uhoh I'm glad I wasn't riding in! :yikes
  18. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My chain is shot so I ordered new sprockets and chain, after it shipped I realised I ordered the wrong size rear sprocket, luckily the customer support is the best I've ever worked with and I've got the correct set on its way, either way I think I would have taken the car this morning it was 28f° when I left my house, the day is looking beautiful now the sun's out though
  19. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    It wasn't a single flash; it was strobe like flashing. Many multiple flashes in a short time. The type of flashing that draws your eyes to it.
  20. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I just wish everyone else out there thought the same way. :nod

M

edited to add a few comments on posts after this:

The headlight flash to the moto with the high beam (to me) on is either ignored or misinterpreted to signify an asshole that was upset with something. By the time you're past, there's no seeing any gestures of 'slow down.'

I've had the misfortune of misinterpreting the 'flashing lights to let someone thru' before. Cost me a TR7 to learn that the lady that was 'flashing to let me thru' was aggravated at the guy in front of me that 'cut her off...' These days, unless someone's actually waving me thru, I'll wait thankyouverymuch. :nod
    neanderthal likes this.