1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Commuting: The strange. The Odd. And the FUN

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    When I'm on the motorcycle and someone wants to wave me on (yielding their right of way), I need a signed and notarized waiver of Right-of-Way, witnessed by two attorneys, and the person yielding right of way must shut off their engine, exit the vehicle, and have wheel chocks in place before I'll proceed.
    squonker, Ibraz, Tor and 11 others like this.
  2. bmc5733946

bmc5733946 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just say no to wave throughs!

Brian
  3. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I go with the trucker signal of flashing lights OFF twice as a friendly signal. Occasionally, I try to mimic it on the bike by waving my clutch hand across the headlight twice and moving to the far side of the lane from them to say, "I see you trying to do something and I'm giving you room." I give a count of 5 for them to realize what I'm trying to say. Sometimes the other rider/car/truck will catch on, most of the time they don't. If I reach 5 and they haven't moved, I shrug and move along with alacrity.

edit: this is after dusk or dark. Daytime, I usually go with the painfully obvious of pointing directly at the vehicle in question and jerking my head or thumb the desired direction, followed with a 5-finger-open single wave. 5 second rule still applies.

edit edit: if I'm at ALL questioning if they're going to go after the 5 seconds, I use the wave to count down to one and go on with the expectation that they might just be slow on the uptake. It's worked out well for me thus far.
  4. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    I decided today on the way to work to post this observation/ question here goes.

I have been riding bikes on the road since my first moped at 16 in 1974.
    Not sure exactly when i first started to notice this aspect in a huge number of car drivers.
    THIS!. On the way through a village this morning, i was on my old triumph 900 triple . the road was patchy wet, i was flowing a line of 5 cars, two cars up from me i see it indicate to turn left(we drive on left in uk) car in front slows down the car turns left , and i am aware the folowing driver is seemingly transfixed on the car which as turned left and on its way up the side road. NOW! do we get back to the business in hand OH! no, he is busy craning his neck looking at this car travel up the side road. After what seems like too long a time. he gets going, at trafic lights he turns left, Thank heaven, he has gone. I am following a woman now in a Ford focus she is following three other cars, again one wants to turn left, manoeuvre done, but the woman yet again is observing the car going up the side road, only she is supper slow at moving away we are crawling along and to crown it all, she looks over her left shoulder yet again at the car that just turned off.
    What are they seeing? Why! What is the fascination.?
    the car has gone,, its not your problem any more.
    move away and consider the others following you.
    I have seen this day in day out for 45 years and its still so annoying.
    ok! SORRY IT IS A RANT, BUT COME ON, I HAVE WAITED OVER 4 DECADES TO SHARE IT WITH ANYONE, SO ITS NOT LIKE I HAVE NOT GIVEN THESE PEOPLE A CHANCE.
    Is it just me? Or do others here see this all the time.? And does it irritate you or am i just getting old and grumpy.?
    neanderthal likes this.
  5. palinka

palinka Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw a guy today, taking selfies.

While he was driving
    in the left lane
    going 20mph slower than the rest of traffic
    totally oblivious to all the middle fingers flying his way

I might be in the background of one of those photos :boid
    neanderthal and MATTY like this.
  6. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I used to sell a lot at the fea market. Just junk and whatnot. I might have a big box of old cloths or leather scraps or something and it would sit all day and get no attention. Then some woman ould start noodling through it. WHAM! 5 women pawing through the box in an instant. No joke. Saw this again and again.

Maybe this is what you are dealing with? One sees someone go that way and figures there is something good and interesting that way and has to look.
  7. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    A woman my wife knows apparently recognized me sitting at a light this morning and sent Mrs. ydarg this.

IMG_3954.jpg
    khager, DR Donk and JaySwear like this.
  8. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    You should have a blow up doll on pillion in case it happens again. :rofl
    khager and ydarg like this.
  9. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    That's a sweet commuter bike you have there ydarg, and the photo of you shows you not wearing proper riding pants or riding boots ? Sorry, but they may save you quite a bit of pain and suffering if the cagers do something crazy... ATGATT ... Good luck and be careful out there brother :-)
  10. Tor

Tor Imported Viking

Oddometer:
    Nice Alpinestars boots :D