1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Commuting: The strange. The Odd. And the FUN

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    Giving them that sign is kind of like calling them a bunch of assholes. After they politely moved out of the way.

What were you trying to communicate?
  2. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    Ran across something odd, a few nights ago.

Came up on two cars completely stopped on the freeway, before an exit ramp. One was stopped in the lane to the ramp, and the other stopped about three or four car lengths back, in the next lane over. Traffic was reasonably light, and moving normally.

My first thought was one of them was likely to get hit from behind. My second thought was to wonder if they were road-raging. They were just stopped in such a strange way, not on the side, not talking to each other, but taking up two lanes.

Decided I didn’t want to be anywhere near when things started moving for them, as I passed.
  3. richrd

richrd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Snarling doodles don't pull over to be polite.

They just stop every ten miles to rest.
  4. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw something today, I did not think I would ever see on the freeway during rush hour.
    Freeway was moving about 70mph. I was working hard to stay out of blind spots, the SUV in front of me suddenly changed lanes to the right and cut off the car in his blind spot. He missed the other car by maybe 2 feet. The guy that was cut off had to brake hard. The offended car rolled his window down and gave a friendly wave, followed by a thumbs up and then an ok sign. Signaling he was not offended, as he dropped back to give some more room. I wouldn't have believe it, if I hadn't seen it ...politeness on the freeway at rush hour. Maybe there is hope after all.
    Tall Man and WDG like this.
  5. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was waiting to read that the SUV flipped off the car that he cut off. That is the usual scenario. :(
  6. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    DR Donk, exactly! That is why I was amazed. Both vehicles went their merry way... no unfriendly gestures or gunfire
  7. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
    I was riding behind a similar scenario when it devolved into NASCAR style "Rubbin is racing" at 60 MPH as bits of glass and plastic showered us and then a chase. Astonishing.
  8. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I pull up to a construction flagman behind a woman in a car, who stopped too deep into the single lane open. When the semi was approaching, the flagman kept signaling the semi where to go, with his hand behind the sign, not visible to the semi driver. He starts running up to the car that was too deep waving for her to back up, which she was happy to do with a semi bearing down on her. Well, without reverse, and this being Advrider, I simply wheeled the versys x300 with knobbies into the grass and continued to the end of the zone. Flagman didn’t appear impressed.:lol3 3rd time this year. :shog
    kendives likes this.