Commuting: The strange. The Odd. And the FUN

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure a statistician would agree with you.
  2. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But Captain, if she were wearing a bunch of gear, how would you know that she was pretty?

Sort of reminds me of a girl I helped in traffic about a year ago. She dropped her Fury chopper after a panic stop in traffic. She was wearing matching pink sweat pants and sweat shirt, with no gloves. She cut up her hands, knees and elbows.

I was thinking of how much more her recovery was going to be because she was more concerned about how she looked than how to protect herself.
    kendives and CaptCapsize like this.
  3. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember seeing a YouTube video of something similar! A girl all dressed up for Instagram crashed into the back of a car while splitting lanes on the HOV some place in California on her Sportster. She got all kinds of messed up in the video.
  4. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At work today, heard and then saw the rolling thunder of 35 Harleys passing by. Big group, cool sight. What was not so cool was that they all rolled thru the red light so as to not get separated. What, are they gonna get lost if they don't all stay together? :baby
    72 Yamaha RD350 and neanderthal like this.
  5. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are some lady riders up here in the frozen north.
    I have seen 5 of them riding together.
    They are on sport bikes, Ninja's and 1 Ducati.
    They are in full gear.
    One in pink leather.
    And darn they sure look nice.
  6. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bought a Road King from the local dealer, and kept getting emails and phone calls about planned group rides. I've asked them to stop, because I'm never going. Finally went in person and told the gal, nicely, that I have no intention of being associated with asshats group riding. Blowing stop signs/lights, blocking traffic, riding ten under the speed limit, wobbling through curves at 40mph in a 60mph zone.... Don't want to be anywhere near that shit.
    Why is it so many HD riders feel compelled to ride below the posted limit, heedless of the parade behind them? I've ridden for 50 years, owned a lot of motorcycles and loved them all. But I HATE Harley riders in groups.
    Bt10, TonyKZ1, Cactus67 and 2 others like this.
  7. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was out today in the car, and a Harley group grope coming the other way at 40 mph was wobbling around a fairly tight turn. Some of them damn near went across the center line in front of me. It's probably good that they don't go faster because they are so ignorant and incompetent.
  8. Mister D

Mister D Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was out riding scenic highway 7 a couple of years ago, with three friends on 1000cc bikes. I was on my SR400 and bringing up the rear. We didn't ride in a pack but rather stopped at turns, etc, so everyone could ride their own ride. So I was a little surprised when I caught up to them. They were stuck behind a line of cars, which were stuck behind a pack of Harleys. This went on for a while until the Harleys all pulled off at a wide shoulder in the road. As I passed them, I extended my hand and gave them a thumbs down gesture. I guess this enraged one of them because he quickly got rolling again and gave chase, leaving his pack behind. I was kinda worried for a few seconds. I watched him in my mirrors as we went through several curves and he kept fading back farther and farther until he finally disappeared. I found this to be pretty funny because the whole time he had been chasing me/us, we had still been stuck behind the pack of cars ahead, which may have been doing about 50mph. Maybe 50.
    SFC_Ren, Tool.Nerd and Motorius like this.
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could it be that none of his buddies joined in the chase and his bravado was thus lacking the reinforcement needed to deal with your "gang"?
    Tall Man, HuntWhenever and Mister D like this.
  10. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    The marque attracts new riders, who typically don't have the skillset of more experienced riders. They'll learn, or not. One thing about riding in groups is that you're stuck with the speed of the least experienced. I think they reinforce each other's lack of skills since 'everybody else does it too'.
    Can't tell you how many bikes I've owned, around three dozen? and this is my first Harley. I love it! Not enough to parade around in do-rags and fingerless gloves, but all-day comfortable, the batwing fairing directs wind nicely, the saddlebags don't leak in the rain, and there's plenty of torque.
    I just wish the DPO hadn't switched the exhaust for, of course, noisier ones.

EDIT: And I'm surprised how well it handles. I'm not anywhere near scraping pegs, but the published lean angles are in the mid-30's. I have this subconscious perception that it's a wallowing boat, but it's not. I'm working on being better at flogging it in corners. The huge torque makes in fun to early apex and then power out.
    Mister D likes this.