Compact Aux lights for an airhead?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by jjwithers, May 22, 2020.

1. jjwithers

jjwithers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about to assemble a bike for somebody after years of decisions. After everything is powder coated, he dropped the idea of adding Aux lights on the build because of all the critters jumping out where he lives.
    Denali makes some really nice lights.
    I'm considering mounting them to the front turn signal stalks (Bike will have bar end turn signals).

Can anybody recommend any other small fog or auxiliary lights to increase brightness on a R75/5 or 70's era airhead? And where to mount them?
  2. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I bought my '72, it had additional lights mounted to the fork ears. Didn't like them, so I took them off. Some compact ones in the same spot might be kinda nice... bf7.jpg
    spo123 and 18415 like this.
  3. jjwithers

Oddometer:
    Yikes!! was that previous owner trying to make it look like a harley? haha Good suggestion on location though. thanks. But I'm going for as hidden and discreet as possible.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  4. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clearwater Darla lights are pretty compact. And bright as hell. image.jpg image.jpg
    Frank smith and jjwithers like this.
  5. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    you want high up, not low and with stock /5 electrics, very low amp draw.

not riding at night is the ideal solution. It takes a whole lot of light to throw far enough down the road to match crummy /5 braking distance to the jumpy critter. Doing the H4 conversion with an LED bulb would be my starting place.
    spo123, sdpc2 and jjwithers like this.
  6. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree regarding the headlight. My /5 already had the H4 conversion when I acquired it. I upgraded the alternator to the 280 watt /6 and then upgraded the headlight to LED. Previous to the LED upgrade night time riding was sketchy at best. Much better now.
    Frank smith and jjwithers like this.
  7. jjwithers

Oddometer:
    The Darla is expensive! wow! I planned on going with a LED H4 to start. And then add something like Denali that has a bit more "throw" for distance to turn on as necessary. And it only has a .75 Amp draw per light.
  8. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    ADVMONSTER H4 LED headlight

Crash bar mounted good set of LED driving (not fog) lights.

You now have a triangle profile so you get noticed day or night... and between the 3 lights, pretty good vision at night... Just don't out drive the lights
  9. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    I have the ADVMonster Native H4 in the /5. Been very happy with it. Literally night and day from the standard H4 that was in there. I haven’t mounted other lights on the /5 but have PIAA driving lights on my oilhead and ADVMonster mesh monster lights in all on that bike. Does just what Greg says.
    jjwithers likes this.
  10. orforester

orforester Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also have ADV monster Native headlight and small Denali lights mounted on the crash bars. Switch on dash pad so I can turn them off when no needed
    jjwithers likes this.
  11. airheadPete

airheadPete Wherever they send me. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve got the smallest, non-adjustable Clearwaters on my RS, and their slightly larger, dimmable ones on my K bike.
    Yeah, they’re sorta expensive, but they are very, very good lights.

3124A831-32FA-43AB-878C-502F25205A56.jpeg 89F3E04C-8B9C-4EBD-98FE-52E21A629614.jpeg

Along with brakes and suspension, I consider lighting a fundamental safety item, so I’m pretty insensitive to how much they cost.
    If they save my ass some day, it was money well spent.
    Uke, Frank smith, UnclePete and 2 others like this.
  12. jjwithers

Oddometer:
    EuromotoElectrics has an H4 LED headlight bulb with 16000 Lumens.
    That seems like A LOT! Has anybody used it?
    The AdvMonster is 6000 lumens in comparison.
  13. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
  14. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    One thing to be aware of with LED is the light will reflect back off of street signs. It can be disconcerting at first. I tend to direct my eyes to the center line to avoid the glare. 16k lumens may make it unbearable not to mention oncoming traffic.
    AlfromNH, ME 109 and 18415 like this.
  15. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    The vendors talk up lumens because only MORE will make your penis bigger. Beam pattern is more important. Bouncing a lot of light off the road close in ruins your night vision. cut the lumens in half for that. Then blast-o-matic lights reflect of road signs not only ruining vision but being real obnoxious. (BTDT)

Extremely tight pencil beam lights can be mounted high to keep the cone of light minimal on the road close in. Then turned outwards to sweep the shoulders for reflecting eyes way out. You see lots of crash bar mounts and fork slider mounts because those are quick and easy places to bolt up a kit, not because they are good locations. Turn signal stalks, head light ears or...gasp...drill the fairing, mo' bettah.

A tight beam requires a good reflector AND a good lens. Look at those LEDs and you see multiple LEDs with scatter reflectors and no lens. Blast-o-matics. Good daytime running lights, not good at night.
  16. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shit, I should be sitting good then!
    E17DD33D-F2AF-43DC-94B1-8AD23D868F84.jpeg
  17. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you could throw that off a cliff and find a way down yourself and ride away.

That's a big Clearwater! Good for the wide open back roads where big reflective signs tend to be almost non existent.
    18415 likes this.
  18. Frank smith

Frank smith R1200GSA, R80RT, 350 EXC-F Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Interesting that the 16000 lumens only uses 10watts.

Sorry folks, thats not possible with todays technology.

Typical luminous efficiency for the leds used is listed at 210lm/watt per the manufacturer Seoul.
  20. spo123

spo123 Man About Town

Oddometer:
    Hi PaulBarton....
    You stated you have the ADV Monster Native H4 light in your /5.
    How did it fit? Is your headlight bucket inside, stock?
    Just wondering, as it is a tight fit, in there. I have the Bosch H4 reflector and lens currently with an H4, that works well.
    I will look up the light in the vendor's section. My concern is a cooling fan OR the woven heat sink fitting within.

Thanks