Compact Surf Casting Set Up

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by colloquialoatmeal, Nov 3, 2019.

1. colloquialoatmeal

colloquialoatmeal Thumpin'

Oddometer:
    As the title suggests, I'm looking for a compact surf casting set up. Going to Baja in Feb and want to hit some spots to surf fish. Doubtful I'll get any time on a boat, only looking to fish from the shore. I typically travel very light, usually just a pair of soft bags (~30L) and a bedroll for a 2wk trip. Something that could fit in my bed roll would be ideal.

What would you recommend? Typically I fly fish here in Ore. but I don't know jack about fly fishing in surf, I figured a spin set up would be best.

If anyone has any killer spots they wanna share, I'll be loading out from Bay LA and riding as far south as San Evaristo, maybe La Paz, zig-zagging across the peninsula.
  2. Big D

Big D Sunny SoCal

Oddometer:
    Used to fish the Baja surf a lot and I still remember having sore arms from hauling in yellow tail from the islands offshore in the Bay of LA. I did have a 8wt Cabalas Stow-a-way fly rod which was well suited for the surf. My 6wt. stow-a-way would have trouble in the wind with long weighted streamers. Always car camped and usually used 1 or 2 piece spinning/casting rods made for salt water. Using fresh water gear in the surf does work, just limited with size bait/lure the rod can handle. On the Baja side had a lot of fun using fresh water gear fishing the rock jetties for small surf perch. I have several travel/pack combo fly/spin rods but they are light weight rods, 4wt. 1/4oz lure. You will need a strong pack rod that can toss the larger baits. I can't say I have ever seen a travel/pact 5-7 piece rod for the surf? I have not been in the market for surf pack rods so can't help you there, hope they are not too pricey. Used to go to San Felipe every spring and always thought the Gulf was fish out. Any fishing is fun and plenty of place to see. enjoy 07 GSA Sunny SoCal
  3. 9mm

9mm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Often wondered if hand line or "yo-yo" reel would be worth messing with in the surf.
  4. DennisV

DennisV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Daiwa Ardito 5 piece 11 ft mh surf rod . Look on fleabay for this. Daiwa BG 5000 spinning reel loaded with 50lb braid. 3ft 50lb leader line.
    A few 3oz Roberts Rangers or gt ice cream lures in red and white. A few chrome Kastmaster 1.5 oz spoons
    Some circle hooks, swivels, lead 1 and 2 oz weights. Berkley Gulp synthetic shrimp.
    Pretty small kit that will fit in the Ardito rod case and perfect for what you want to do.
  5. colloquialoatmeal

colloquialoatmeal Thumpin'

Oddometer:
    Awesome! That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip!