Compact Tail Bag - Your Favorite?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by 9Dave, May 10, 2006.

1. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have an oversized luggage rack on my 950, and would like to find a small to medium sized tail bag to fit. While I do like the Touratech, I don't like the $121 price.

Anyone know of another that is about the same size? I'm just looking for something for around town to throw miscellaneous stuff into, not a touring pack.

Thanks,

Dave
  2. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMK knows his stuff regarding luggage.
  3. MotoMatt

MotoMatt Slacker Wannabe

Oddometer:
  4. Don Lemelin

Don Lemelin Scuderia West

Oddometer:
  5. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I have seen the Cortech, but I'm looking for something smaller. Maybe 10 X 10, instead of the 15" length or the Tourmaster.

Dave
  6. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Second that, mines never come off the bike. Works great!
    Not under $100 though.
  7. mountainGS

mountainGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, does that KTM Hard Equipment bag mount directly to the stock rack or does it need an adaptor? Maybe some part numbers? :ear
  9. Ignore Amos

Ignore Amos bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer:
    Is called the LC4 tail bag (KTM part # 58412078000) and it use three tie downs and will fit any of the stock KTM racks, My favorite too and can be bought for under $100 bones w/ the 15% discount ($119 retail) from the KTM talk site (which is Munn Racing) Has three separate compartments (Big center and two side) and include a rain cover.
  10. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I thought that was the bag from the catalog, but remembered seeing it as an LC4 item.

So, this will attach to the oem standard 950 rack? Don's pic looks like he has a Touratech rear rack adaptor or something. Or maybe I'm just not seeing it right?:huh
  11. Ignore Amos

Ignore Amos bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer:
    but as that very cool pic shows a TT rack, I too have the TT LC8 rack on my 950 which obviously does work, but I'm pretty sure it does...
  12. tommytiger

tommytiger just riding

Oddometer:
    I have the smaller one from TT on my 950

it fits very well and is big enough most of the time.
    if i need more space, i put my gobi-topcase on the rack

cost 42€ = ~50$ (in germany)

[​IMG]
  13. tommytiger

tommytiger just riding

Oddometer:
  14. Goldhelocks

Goldhelocks You had me at "2 wheels"

Oddometer:
    I just purchased an "Excursion pack" (VERY LARGE SEAT PACK for back of seat) for my 950 and I can't believe the quality of the pack! I use it with the same KTM tail bag shown in the pics above. But I know that Rev-pack makes two smaller sizes of "seat packs" (also used as tail packs) that would be perfect for what you are describing and they are cheaper than KTMs pack! Check them out, especially the Jr. version. The quality of their products is INCREDIBLE and they are very, VERY reasonably priced for what you get, tough as nails, and almost waterproof even without the rain cover.

http://www.revpack.com/motorcycle/products/SeatPack.html

Side note: I had been looking for an alternative to saddle bags for a tour this summer, but I didn't like the idea of having racks on my bike. Then I found Rev-pack's "Excursion" soft luggage seat pack. It is INCREDIBLELY HUGE, built like a tank, looks fantastic on the bike (everyone who has seen it asks where I got it) and very resonable without the cost of racks and hard luggage. I really struggled about this and can't be happier with my decision. You might want to check them out. The pack is basically an upside down "U" that just straddles the seat. It sits totally above the exhaust without bungies or brackets! Also: note that the "Tour Pack" is almost exactly the same pack for just $89! Not bad as an alternative.

http://www.revpack.com/motorcycle/products/TourPack.html

http://www.revpack.com/motorcycle/products/ExcursionPack.html

Good luck

Goldhelocks
  15. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. MrH

MrH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi TT where did you get the rack that's shown in the pic?
  17. AFekete

AFekete Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out the new Day bag. Dimensions are 10" front to back and 13" wide.

http://www.kaoko.com/gallery.html

"NEW!! NAMIB SERIES-- DESERT SAND colour SOFT LUGGAGE in High Strength Water Proof Fabric."

-A
  18. LAPTRAFFIC

LAPTRAFFIC RIP, Wes...

Oddometer:
  19. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave,
    Check out these plates that I make and are available with from AdventuresWorkshop.com

[​IMG]

These plates are designed to fit with the Kaoko Bags which are also available from Andrew at AdventurersWorkshop.com
    [​IMG]

The bag above is the Kaoko Day bag and is available in black from AdventurersWorkshop and is a beautiful fit for the Katoum small rear plate, the bag hold its shape nice with stiffners, is expandable, and comes with a rain cover. Check out picture below.

[​IMG]

The bike on the left is mine and the gentleman on the right has since this picture was taken has also replaced his stock rack for the same setup. The larger of the two plates you see was designed specifically for the Kaoko Weekender bag. The plate was designed to keep the weight central to the passenger area so it will not allow two up riding, but at a 54 litre capacity, will eliminate the need for saddle bags for a lot of trips, and can be completely removed in minutes. It also has stiffners and a rain cover, and a nice pillow pack and map storage compartment on the front, great for back support.
    By undoing the 4 mounting bolts you can switch back to the smaller plate. Hope this has been of help.
  20. Camo Jo

Camo Jo a lotta Mojo

Oddometer: