Comparing the BMW Navigator V and VI

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by davepen, Apr 25, 2020.

1. davepen

davepen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The BMW web site isn't much help; it looks as though most of the "features" touted for the Navigator VI are software-based and don't justify the upgrade cost for me.

The major hardware difference appears to be the screen.

Is there any real advantage of the VI over the V?

Thanks all.
  2. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bigger screen. Brighter. Higher res.

Way over priced.

Look at the XT.
    Disco Stu and AdamChandler like this.
  3. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think the screen is bigger ... its the exact same dimensions. But brighter, yes.

If you already have the V I'd not bother upgrading unless you get a deal on a VI. V's are going for $300-ish in the flea market so you can likely recoup that much if you sell yours.
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or, you could read over my reviews of both here... there are a few more differences and as @Patch noted, the screen is the real draw to the NAV6. But, the reliability and the cost are issues.

@scfrank I don't think I'd give up the bike integration with the 'wonder-wheel' for anything Garmin, like the zumo XT, when there is the option of using the WunderLINQ and a smartphone rather than the NAV5/6.
    scfrank likes this.
  5. davepen

davepen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the link; that's exactly what I was looking for.

It's difficult to search for a term like "VI" or "V" since the signal-to-noise ratio is impossibly low when searching for a few characters.
  6. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree. The wheel is useful. It’s easy to zoom, change screens, etc. I had the LINQ and it was cool, but honestly didn’t use it much. I sold the GS so sold the LINQ. Have the NavVI on my KTM 790 with a 4 button mount.

I load routes sometimes using PC, prefer tracks. Mostly used to tell where I am or where I’ve been. Honestly get phone out when stopped if I’m lost and use Guru Maps or pocket earth pro.
    DRTBYK likes this.
  7. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was looking at upgrading to the VI for the brighter screen and to be able to stream my music to the Nav and then to my helmet while being able to control the phone with the wonder wheel. There seems to be a lot of issues with the VI and there is a whole thread devoted to it which as me keeping my V. Great unit, screen could be a little brighter but I think getting a sun visor will make things even better. I have music loaded on the device itself and that works great, would just like to be able to listen to books on audible for those long days of interstate riding when on a trip.
  8. davepen

davepen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another interesting note about the Nav VI is that it supports the GLONASS system in addition to the GPS constellation.
  9. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 I didn't think the wonderwheel on my K1600GT was that big of a deal, until I used the same Nav5 on my other bikes on long trips.
  10. davepen

davepen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ended up buying a Nav VI from another inmate, and while the improved screen is nice it really wasn't worth the upgrade cost to me. I ended up reselling it to another inmate.

On a more superficial note, I also didn't like the way it looked on the bike. If you have a bike with the TFT, it will look great but it looked out-of-place on my 2013 with the analog gauges.