Completed: 2100mi Four Corners Tour

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by hingedthinker, Jun 26, 2020.

1. hingedthinker

hingedthinker Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just completed a 2,100 mile loop of sorts through AZ, NM, CO, and UT. Well...we intended to do Utah but everything is closed so we cut off the last part of the trip thru Moab, south to the North Rim GC.

I'm not much for extreme tour documentation like some of the other authors here. I live to carve and view and camp on a moto! Colorado is stunningly beautiful. SH209 in particular was my favorite. There are countless beautiful vistas and amazing roads. The TOTD is no match for the mountain west. Sorry, I got my survival badge 8 years in a row there. :-)

Enjoy the pics. I'm thinking of hitting UT to Yellowstone to ID then home next year. With a new seat.

BMW R1250 GSA to review points:

• the stock seat sucks. And by "sucks" I mean it is a deceptively mean and vindictive arse hole posing as a comfortable seat. At first it is super comfy, but then it settles your fat and bony derrière on what feels like soft but still painfully hard plastic.
    • the stock torture devices will slowly kill your feet without the proper riding boots. I'm a workaholic so I have my excuses. I bought the bike with a Klim textile jacket because that was all they had that fit. I didn't make it back to buy boots or pants. My leathers stopped fitting long ago due to extreme shrinkage. Who knew leather could shrink so much? Must have been the heat in the garage. Up until June 2020, I had only put 400 miles on the bike. Lame, huh?
    • Cruise control granted by God himself, installed by angels and performs like fairies are buttering it with every lick. I will never own another long ride moto without CC. Enough said. Brake turn-off is a bit rough. Use the clutch.
    • The engine. I always love twins. Loved my Ducati. Long live Ducati! Even though the boxer sounds like a healthy tractor, it is immaculate. Oh how I do miss the testastretta roar. Torque. Yes sir, how much would you like and at which RPM would you like it? We have vast quantities. The GS engine is a bottomless pit of joy. Shiftcam. Want to go fast? Twist the stick.
    • Non-BMW aftermarket panniers - YES! Money saved. Holds more stuff. Only one big problem. don't get them in black. They are like ovens. All my stuff was melted. And by stuff I mean the chocolate that I had in the starboard side pannier. I need an insulation solution.
    • Tranny. This is a non-PC post, but i'm talking about the transmission. I love the slipper clutch and quick shifter. It works. It is smooth. No complaints.
    • TFT and the computer. I'm an IT guy and a product development expert. I've worked in automotive on extremely large infotainment systems and products. Man they were so close. But really, for a $30,000 toy, the damn thing better work. Especially with the $1,000 GPS and the $700 helmet and the $300 Sena. It doesn't. Read carefully: This is a total fail by BMW and Sena and Garmin. Why do I need witchcraft to configure the freaking thing? Seriously, you better hope that Apple or Samsung never get into your business. You are fID10T'd if they do. Even following the popular youtube video on the subject does not harness the dark side enough to get this thing to a usable state. Massive disappointment for an otherwise beautiful screen and good effort.
    • Brakes. After 2,800 miles, some weird noises and rough feel coming from the front brakes. I have over 100,000 seat miles on motorcycles of my career and never had this problem. Owned mostly new bikes too. Otherwise they stop the thing well.
    • Mirrors - actually useful! Wow. It's a freaking miracle. Pinch me.
    • Riding lights (optioned on this bike) - completely useless little round turds. May as well stick two AA maglights on the crash bars. So, thats another $800...
    • The seat. Did I mention how much I hate the seat? I actually don't hate anything. Up until this week. I hate that seat. It is a cruel torture device.
    • Dynamic suspension. Wow! I love this! I have ridden in a Mustang with electronic suspension and it is quite the thing. In this implementation, BMW did a remarkable job. IMHO, this bike fully laden with gear for camping and riding for six days (read: heavy as f#$@) was a joy to ride. The center of gravity on this bike is very low which makes it feel light and is very "flickable" which is a very good feel for a corner carver. I had much more fun on this bike than I ever had on my 2007 R1. Maybe a tie with my Ducati Monster. Dynamic Pro mode is my goto for carving. Highway miles I flipped over to "road" which is akin to 'grandmas really soft couch.' I did some desert offroading the first week I had the bike in the enduro mode but this is not my preferred use case. I like the option, but don't plan on more than 10% offroad riding. But when I do, it will be hardcore.

Roadtrippers actual track

Planned original track

Packed and ready to ride:
    IMG_1350.jpeg

Took a water break in Flagstaff:
    IMG_1352.jpeg

Rides at Bandolier National Monument:
    IMG_1360.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg
  2. hingedthinker

Oddometer:
    We saw some folks really old house. Neat. Moving on. Needs Norm Abrams treatment.
    IMG_1379.jpeg
  3. hingedthinker

Oddometer:
    Now this was breathtaking. I nearly tore the front hub out when I first saw this valley hitting the brakes. Stunningly gorgeous.

That other guy still doesn't know how to find the kick stand.
    IMG_1386.jpeg
    IMG_1383.jpeg

Near Silverton, CO around 12,000 feet...
    IMG_1434.jpeg

IMG_1442.jpeg
    IMG_1447.jpeg

Two nights of this stuff will make you beg for a nasty burger from McDonalds. Just kidding, it wasn't so bad. See that 'harley' looking moto there? Don't ride with those guys. They are slow. The machines too.
    IMG_1451.jpeg

Ugly guy, pretty mountains. On the Independence hwy to Aspen. Two views. Look carefully.
    IMG_1467.jpeg
  4. hingedthinker

Oddometer:
    On the way to Aspen...
    IMG_1465.jpeg

CO SH209 Cottonwood Pass. One of the best in the United States.
    IMG_1462 2.jpeg
  5. hingedthinker

Oddometer:
    Stayed here one night. Really great people own and operate the Inn of the Rockies. Recommend you try it sometime.
    IMG_1399.jpeg

This is worth fighting for and honoring. Do not protest it by burning it. Do not kneel while pledging to it. Thank a Veteran.
    IMG_1351.jpeg

I really enjoyed my new hammock setup. It was in the high thirties this night and I was toasty warm and comfortable.
    IMG_1481.jpeg
  6. wellcraft

wellcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice write up I did a Colorado ride last July and had a blast even though we stuck to paved roads.
    hingedthinker likes this.
  7. JohnZ

JohnZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now you're ready for the other four corners tour, the Southern California Motorcycle Club four corners tour: San ysidro, Ca., Blaine, Wa., Madawaska Me., Key West, Fl. Must be completed within three weeks.
    I enjoyed your story!
    Fosters, mitchapalooza and docm26 like this.
  8. collin228

collin228 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brake turn-off is a bit rough. Use the clutch.

You know you can twist the throttle the opposite way and disengage cruise control. Oh and beautiful pictures and trip.
    NorthIdaho800gsa and handensco like this.
  9. docm26

docm26 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I LOVE my RDL sport seat. Being 5’ 7” I couldn’t have a seat higher than stock and the sport seat fit the bill. The regular RDL seat is amazingly comfortable but it raises seat height 1.5 - 2”.
  10. hingedthinker

Oddometer:
    I'm never doing that run! Doesn't sound appealing. :-)
  11. hingedthinker

Oddometer:
    I did not know that! Thank you, now I do!!
  12. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pictures, except the one of the guy with the nose-hair running out onto his lip. Not much you can do about the black panniers, but the exhaust extension from Excel will take a lot of the heat off of the right side. https://www.excelthrottlecontrol.com/cycle-werkes
    Longrider9 likes this.
  13. freedomtoroam

freedomtoroam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stunning pics, a great timeline, and looks like you thoroughly enjoyed a hell of an adventure, and left with some great stories. Cheers!
  14. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    X2 on this.

I also agree that the seat is horrible. I am finding it difficult to shell out money for a new one though. It's hard for me to replace things on my bike that are new. As far as the lights go, I just use them so oncoming can see me better. I pointed them a little high on purpose....lol.
    I also agree about the tft. for what you pay for the bike, it should work flawlessly. not to mention it isn't exactly cutting edge tech! My cardo works about 90% of the time. The other 10% it will tell me it is connected, then immediately disconnect. Then I have to turn the bike off then on again for it to work.
  15. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    Good pics and Story..as far as seat goes they have a rep to maintain for that and sidestands( noticed you had the enlarger) worst seats and sidestands in the industry...they typically hire the lowest 2 graduates in the engineering school .One designs seats the other sidestands !