Compounding Mistakes in a Turn

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by foxtrapper, Oct 26, 2021.

1. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    If something goes wrong, or you screw up, it’s best to add more mistakes to it, to better enhance the whole experience. :lol3

I didn’t crash, no blood, no serious injuries. My leg hurt for a while and I was both embarrassed and a bit appalled at myself.

Happily riding around yesterday, and I washed out the front end on a turn. I brilliantly threw out my leg to catch it. You can do that, sometimes, with the likes of a light weight bike at low speeds, especially in the likes of dirt. With a heavy arsed Road King, at about 30 mph, well, I know better, and it didn’t work out well.

My leg instantly twisted backwards, my shin slammed into the evil touring Harley passenger footboard. Luckily there wasn’t enough traction or lean to drag my foot under it and break my leg. We recovered, with no real help from my dramatic “save”, and rode on. My leg hurt for several hours.

But wait, there’s a little more! I can’t claim innocence or surprise at the washout. As I came into the turn, I’m looking at the squished fruit, the walnuts, the damp leaves up ahead, and thinking to myself something like; “hit this like normal and you’ll slide”. I even thought; “stand the bike up a bit, and slow down a little.” Which, of course I did NOT do. So totally not to my surprise, the front end slid out.

Ah well. Perfection is definitely not one of my character traits!
    Dale402, RedEX, tominboise and 4 others like this.
  2. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recommend knobbies in the future for squished fruit and loose walnuts. Good you came out of it relatively unscathed.
  3. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Totally relatable

Nothing even close to your situation.
    Sunday clear road, clear weather....lost concentration or focus on a curve...
    Had to stand it up and slow down....for no real reason other than I blew the line .

Still a bit pissed over it....
    RedEX likes this.
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I had to dodge some black walnuts on the road recently, but there weren't too many of them. Another day, I stopped to ask directions from a guy who was picking them up near the roadway with rubber gloved hands for eating.
  5. SmithSwede

SmithSwede Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m suspicious that you say “fruit,” but won’t be more specific.

admit it. You crashed because of a banana peel, didn’t you? Oldest gag in the book.
    :lol3

I’m glad you are ok.
    strommonster likes this.
  6. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    by 'fruit' , I'm pretty sure he means Road Apples
  7. pilotspike

pilotspike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was out last week and the road plums were in full force. Slime everywhere. Though, to be honest, it was a beautiful day so I just backed off and said hi to the cows. Sometimes its more fun that way.

J
    DesertPilot likes this.
  8. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Owch! I guess it's a natural response to throw the downward leg out when things go sideways. But man do I try not to, for the reasons you described. Did it myself recently, but luckily I was on a 150 scooter on wet grass. Got a few scrapes as a reminder to fight the urge.
    RedEX likes this.
  9. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've low sided 3 or 4 times on paved roads. Every time, I kept my feet on the pegs and rode it all the way to shoulder impact.

On my first ride ever on a four wheeler just a few years ago, I got hung up momentarily - just long enough to dab my left foot. Yup. It caught under the back tire.
  10. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    What’s the saying … “no photos …. It never happened?? “ lol
    foxtrapper likes this.
  11. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess this is where my multitude of years riding dirt bikes paid off. Muscle memory and just instinct pays off. In that same situation I may have put a leg out, but I also would have rolled on the throttle, (When in doubt throttle out!) got the back end in line with the front and been on my way. It has happened to me several times on the street, the last time was a well worn oil and chip road, but it sure looked like asphalt to me. Felt things get cattywompus and reacted. Body english, rolled on the throttle went on my way.

This is why anyone that wants to start riding I recommend a dirt bike and lots of riding off road. The skills you develop playing at the end of traction are things which have to be experienced and can not really be taught.
    Chotu, concours and ExodusRider like this.
  12. Mr Pou

Mr Pou Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's nuts, man!
    Camcow likes this.
  13. raw2210

raw2210 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Gloves are a must for picking up walnuts in the fall. They will put a stain on your hands that won't wash off. It has to wear off. Same with the purple polk berries. That's a wear off stain also. Grew up on a farm and learned that the hard way. Stained hands on a date is not sexy.......
    RedEX likes this.
  14. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Bravo for 'fessing up to your mistakes; sharing something we can all learn from.
  15. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Thankfully the only times I've washed out on scree were when I was coming to park the bike.
  16. Cheshire

Cheshire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought the saying was, "if you're going to do something, really do it & make it look like you meant to because only doing it a little just looks like an accident."
    Wait...wrong saying from a different field. :D
    RedEX and ExodusRider like this.
  17. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    No, that can apply here too... dropped my Nighthawk in the office parking lot years ago while parking with a bunch of coworkers watching. Left it on its side, took the key out, and walked into the office.
    RedEX, Rockred, foxtrapper and 3 others like this.
  18. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Smoooooth operator / a boss that day for sho!
    Gone in 60 likes this.
  19. Gone in 60

Oddometer:
    Speaking of mistakes in turns... I've been catching myself exercising a bit of target fixation exiting the freeway on the way to work lately.
    I work off of the 405 in Orange County, which has been undergoing a perpetual widening construction project. My exit is a single lane fast sweeper that comes up on a traffic light after it straightens out. It reopened recently, but the inside portion of the shoulder is a dirt field that is being used as a staging area for dump trucks and construction equipment.

Every few days there is a trail of dirt coming on to the exit ramp midway through the turn, so I scan the turn as I enter to judge any needed changes in speed, particularly if I have a car behind me. I've been catching myself glancing too long and have been running a little wide a few times. I catch it and look up, through the turn, thinking "don't fixate, stupid!"
  20. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    This is true.. as long I have been riding.. I should know better ..

but I have found myself day dreaming while out riding and sometimes … I have caught myself plenty ..of fixating and realizing I’m fixating on the target abit long er than I should … old age creeping in maybe ?

Or getting way too comfortable on the bike …