Conchscooter Nearly Bites The Dust

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by conchscooter, Aug 31, 2018.

1. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s the point in a nutshell. Thing is I'm alive because of my helmet.
    kpinvt and CMS like this.
  2. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    You made my day! That smile alone! Wonderful.
    kpinvt and larryboy like this.
  3. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe see you on the road someday!
  4. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope so.
  5. RobG.

RobG. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's awesome Conch, I'm happy for ya'...:clap
  6. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your welcome. It's what I do! :) Sorry you couldn't see the tongue in cheek.
  7. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    AGATT may protect you from some injuries or road rash but neither my Type V tibia plateau fracture which happened while I wearing full gear or Michael's broken hips are protected by wearing full gear. We are all adults here and know the risks.
    kpinvt and kantuckid like this.
  8. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For gods sake, I was making a joke..... shoot me!
    larryboy likes this.
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :2guns

:D
    kpinvt, cdwise, kantuckid and 5 others like this.
  10. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Klaviator, brings up a question, what brand of riding pants do you recommend ? Especially for summer wear. cms
  11. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m glad to hear it. Use an emoji next time. :hmmmmm
    My pelvic injuries as Cheryl points out would not have happened had I had my legs strapped together as they and internal injuries were caused by my legs being thrown open as I cartwheeled according to the surgeon, Dr Quinnan who apparently writes textbooks on open book pelvic surgery from his office at the university of Miami.
    villageidiot likes this.
  12. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should have seen the grief I got on Facebook for describing riding a Burgman as “recovery.” I give up. I’m just glad to be alive and sod everything else. Let’s see. Scooter content. 18879FBF-740C-4711-8CD6-515AEAB32990.jpeg
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I don't have any particular brands to recommend but nothing beats mesh pants for hot weather riding.
    The Virginian and longwaypyder like this.
  14. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a couple pair of Cortech (kevlar reinforced and padded) that look like cargo pants. They have hidden zippers on the legs so that they easily convert to shorts when I get to where I'm going.
    kpinvt likes this.
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I started scoot riding I got on this kick to become more casual in my gear, yet remain protected-rides are mostly all hwy in my rural area but sometimes a run to Dollar General or the library comes along.
    I tried several brands of high end jeans, cargo style, etc., pants and didn't like any of them for fit and/or performance and sold them all. What works great for my build (stocky with short legs) is my First Gear mesh pants. They are so good that I bought First Gear 3 season pants too. They place the pads on my knees and are very comfy. My Olympia pants were altered length but pads in wrong spot, etc..
    When you start talking brands of gear the one thing that comes to mind if not just quality which we all want but FIT!
    It varies greatly among brands!, as does the price point.
    There's a new thread in ADV/Equipment right now on what was my "casual approach" to riding shoes for my scooter. I bought a pair of SIDI DOHA's as I really like my SIDI boots. The DOHA's have been replaced by another version that's in a gear promotion page in the newest Rider magazine.
    What I've learned from my experience and the new thread about the SIDI DUNA's is to not expect either of those "casual riding shoes" to feel "Casual". They might look like Chuck Taylor's in black but they are very stiff-too protect yer footsies.:lol2

Conchscooter, note the use of an emoji- so as not to garner the wrath of your too many days of no riding... :rofl
  16. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    I live in a climate very similar to Conchscooter's. I have some Bilt mesh riding pants that I will wear over shorts. Sometimes. I am an adult and make my own choices. If I choose to ride to the Post Office or Wally World in shorts and a t-shirt, that is my decision/choice. I am more a "some of the gear, most of the time" kinda guy. If someone chooses to gear up different from me, that is their choice.
    kantuckid and conchscooter like this.
  17. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s the right attitude. My first notable crash was in Atlanta in 1988. I should have been watching the road instead of the hot young girl walking down the street :lol3 but I was 22 years old...

It took decades for some friends and family to stop giving me grief about riding after that. None of that changed anything except to strain my relationships with those who kept giving me grief. They finally got the message.

As for gear - Aerostich Darien jacket with back protector, or mesh jacket with back protector or Harley FXRG leather jacket. All are high quality with armor in the right places. For pants I wore Aerostich Darien for years, but at the time they didn't have a crotch gusset and I got tired of rainwater leaking through the zipper. Now I wear first gear armored pants that have suspenders - I can't remember the name of them, but the material is lighter than the Darien pants. But they do keep me dry in a driving rain storm.

However, I don't wear riding pants all of the time anymore. I'm middle aged and don't shed heat as well as I used to. Add to that the fact that I am on medication that affects my ability to shed heat. I came to the conclusion it was safer to ride in jeans and not overheat than it was to dress for a crash that would be caused by me overheating :lol3 I do always wear a helmet, one of the jackets listed above, and boots, but I have given myself leeway on gloves and riding pants.
    conchscooter likes this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I sometimes wear jeans but mesh pants are much cooler and more comfortable than jeans and they are more protective unless you are talking kevlar reinforced riding jeans.
  19. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I am sorry to see this one becoming a ATGATT thread.

Why don't you guys let it go occasionally.

Seeing Michael on the road again is a real pleasure.

Go Michael Go!

Bill
  20. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The zip off ones are good if you have hiking or other off the bike activities. Like Klav I wear mesh in hot temps, preferably light colors. Underneath I tend to wear exercise shorts that are also breathable so if I’m going to be off the bike for a bit I can take them off or at least unzip the sides all the way to the hips if I’m eating at a picnic table or such. Plus if it is a summer rain it won’t matter if I get wet as they dry quickly. Sometimes intermittent light showers can make a long ride in hot weather more pleasant at least out in west Texas on those really hot days, not so much in the higher humidity places.
    kantuckid and kpinvt like this.