Concours 14 vs ST1300 for a bargain sport tourer?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by TwoWheeledCrawfish, Mar 20, 2021.

1. BigBoPeep

BigBoPeep The Bad Stenographer

Oddometer:
    I have an 08 C14 and one of my buddies had an ST1300. Both great touring bikes, as long as you know what you're comfortable with. Even though they're outdated, they feel refined. HEAVY though. Yikes. The C14 is more aggressive, in seating position and attitude. To me, the ST feels like it's somewhere between the C14 and a Goldwing. Someone on this forum described the C14 as "riding a refrigerator." I love that.
    Stasher1 likes this.
  2. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Heat is very subjective. I don't discount it though as it's common complaint on large displacement fully faired bikes. I rode a ST1300 almost to 200,000 miles and the heat didn't bother me nor many of the owners I knew and still know. I live in the Deep South and ride year round. 99.5% of the time I wear boots and motorcycle gear in solid or mesh. Once I rode it around the block in tennis shoes and thought "jeez this must be what those complaints are about".
    racer1735, phughes and Stasher1 like this.
  3. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Both a big bikes, and you can get yourself into trouble very quickly on either one. The Honda is more friendly and sedate, it's still f***ing fast though. The C14 can bend space time and hit 160mph when you are merging on an on-ramp. You can't go wrong with either one, just realize you are stepping into an entirely different weight and power class.
    phughes and Stasher1 like this.
  4. TwoWheeledCrawfish

TwoWheeledCrawfish n00b

Oddometer:
    I actually found a gentleman who lives a few hours away who's looking to trade his Vulcan 1700 Nomad cruiser for a Vulcan S for his wife. I'm kinda concerned that it won't have enough get up and go to satisfy me, but it's got a giant windshield, a humongous pillion, and electronic cruise, not to mention looking way cooler than any C14 or ST. Not what I expected, but a very interesting option.
    Stasher1 likes this.
  5. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not if you want to sport tour. :photog
  6. johnQ6pack

johnQ6pack ALT-Mid

Oddometer:
    Take from my experience what you will.
    Wife is tall 6-1”ish.
    Bought a versys 1k. The “we can both love” bike.
    1 trip to TN and she vetoed the bike. Ok by me because with her + ADV ergos, parking lot speed was high stress.
    I learned COG matters to pilots and pillions

Ended up “adding” a 2009 low mile Voyager. 1700cc carries me + wife and all her “terribly important things” in traffic just fine. It was a win because now she understands the terribly important to me, multiple bike requirement.

No sport, all tour. In spite of its 900# I’m much happier with low speed + wife on the Voyager. Wife real comfy. There is 0 threat to my license with the voyager, but there are 0 issues of sufficient performance using as intended.

The V1k was traded for a Ninja with bags.
    I find the Ninja pillion ergonomics are perfect.
    She refuses to ride on it.
  7. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A Nomad might be a pretty good choice actually. ALL of the ST's might prove to be a handful two up if you only have been riding a year or so as they are heavy, tall, & very powerful. A Nomad is no flyweight either but it has a lower center of gravity and would be easier to flatfoot and is less likely to launch you into warp drive at the flick of the wrist. I'd say that's apt to be a better transition for you, they are also fairly comfortable for both you and a passenger.
  8. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Center of gravity helps when comparing bikes of a similar weight class, but while the C14 is huge and heavy at around 670lbs the Vulcan 1700 Nomad is enormous at 830. Sure, the lower seat height helps, as does the fact that the earth’s crust tends to buckle when the bike comes to rest in one spot for too long I guess.
    If I were in my second or third year riding I wouldn’t choose either, but people love them both. More power to ya I guess.
  9. Stasher1

Stasher1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having gone from the ST1300 to an even heavier Royal Star Venture, I can tell you that the lower center of gravity makes the Venture much easier to handle at anything above a walking speed...and that doesn't change with a full tank, unlike the ST1300. Weight isn't as important as balance when riding two-up, IMO.
    rider33 likes this.
  10. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    that would be my experience as well. Going from an ST1300 to a Road King you'd never would have guessed that the Road King was 50-75# heavier, particularly when the almost 8 gallon tank on the ST was full. Weight matters,
    where that weight is and how easy it is to balance matters more, particularly two up. Both my ST1300 and my Super Tenere were significantly lighter than my Road King. They were also much more of a handful at times and not early as enjoyable for the passenger.
  11. dduelin

Oddometer:
    ‘Easier to handle’ means what? The ST1300 runs circles around the best handling cruiser. A Royal Star fits in but a corner of the ST’s performance envelope. Sure, it requires some skill to hustle a big heavy powerful sport tourer down a twisty road or perform slow speed maneuvers. Is ‘easier to handle’ code for it doesn’t take much skill to handle a heavier yet less skill taxing motorcycle that places far less demands on the rider?
    GeoAggie likes this.
  12. Stasher1

Stasher1 Long timer

Oddometer:

It means exactly what I said. The lower center of gravity and lower seat height make the heavier cruisers easier to ride than a heavy sport touring bike, especially two-up. True, they're not as nimble, but there's more to riding than seeing how fast you can take a corner.
  13. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    personally, I always find these sorts of discussions sort of humorous. You never hear car guys complaining how their F250 doesn't quite handle curves the way their 911 did or bitch about that the 911 just wasn't nearly as good in deep snow as the F250. Somehow, however, in bikes you get lots of these chain saw to coping saw comparisons.
    Big cruisers are built around comfort for the long haul, particularly two up. They will not run the dragon as fast as Panigale will, then again you and your wife may actually be able to walk after a 800 mile day on the big touring cruiser, something that would require major chemical intervention with the more sporting oriented mount. Different tools for different purposes, To criticize a jack-hammer because it's not a diamond drill is sort of to miss the point.
    It all depends on what kind of hole you are looking for.
    owcow and Stasher1 like this.
  14. Fenianbastard

Fenianbastard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Princeton (the center of liberal hell in NJ)
    I have owned both the C14 and the ST1300 and prefer the ST, but that's my personal opinion. They are both big and it takes a bit of skill to move them around the garage but once you are moving the weight sort of disappears. On the ST owners site the most frequent mishaps appear to be from moving the bike. Buy either one and just ride the hell out of it.
    GeoAggie likes this.
  15. OJ-J

OJ-J Chillin

Oddometer:
    Fenianbastard and GeoAggie like this.
  16. dduelin

Oddometer:
    Yes, there's more than using a sport tourer for what it is made for. There's also handling it in slow speed maneuvers. A rider's confidence in his mount shows in a parking lot as much as it does at speed on a winding road and truth be known, you can tell probably tell more about a rider's skill in how he handles a parking lot.
    GeoAggie likes this.