Concours C14 thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Wout67, Dec 1, 2008.

1. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    I have owned an 05and now a '14FJRes, and also owned two C14's. To me the FJR feels lighter and more nimble in the twisties. I love the electronic cruise and the ES suspension I feel like this is something each individual has to decide on their own though, but that is my opinion of the two. I never felt the FJR needed a 6th gear, but i am curious about the 2016 model that added a 6th just to see the difference. I am still a COG member and will remain so no matter what bike I ride
  2. Just Cliff

Just Cliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cognisticattor can when he sees this. He's had 2 or 3 of each & back on a FJR now. He swaps bikes more than most change underwear. :rofl
    cognosticator likes this.
  3. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 6 speed is a mixed bag. They really did us a disservice by thightening the ratios. Makes me want to slap the engineers in the face. Less vibration in 6th makes it barely worth it, runs like glass with those helical gears. Shifts as well as a c14 now too.
    fecundity and olie like this.
  4. rs42sport

rs42sport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any issues with a 2010 abs model with 49k miles? It has tpms light on but runs great.. how hot will it be in this California heat? Thanks
  5. Just Cliff

Just Cliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    49K is just getting broke in, that's no miles for C14. TPMS light or ABS light? Battery can be changed in TPMS on a 2010. When it's mid 90's & up it's just hot, I don't notice engine heat.
    rs42sport and OJ-J like this.
  6. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    What cliff said. Not a tough job to change out the batteries on tpms
  7. rs42sport

rs42sport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it was both lights after riding it.. and it somehow felt gutless in the first 3 gears.. also the k-trc light was flashing.. going to keep looking..
  8. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:
    OK.. SORRY FOR MY LAZYAZZ....

I posted on the COG forum about my initial impact.. I simply love it... can't wait to really test it out to see the top end of the spectrum..

here's my post from the forum;

I'm a hard nut to crack. You that know me, and for those that have no clues, can just believe it.

First impression;
    after all I just did, to prep my bike from it's "sitting" state, to "ready to ride across the USA".. I was really un impressed when I started the bike, and left the driveway. I've known Steve for many years, moreso than most people here on site.. I share with him, he shares with me... I trust him; most of all, I TRUST him.. soooo... It started, fell into perfect idle mode, (I'm thinking "meh") and I was riding. Didn't press it hard, as I m in an area that prevents "gettin crazy" right from the driveway.. so, roll a while, and find the bike mildly pleasing; (again, meh..) mind you, I didn't mess with anything related to throttle, or such.. it was "perfect" as it was last ride.. went to play ADV Tag, and the route to the grab was one I have ridden many times before.. and en-route, began "testing" the throttle roll on, in gears I never would have tried to "roll" on up.. (meh.. but....).. hmmmmmmmmm I'm kinda liking this.. don't have to kick down a gear.. so, to test, I click UP a gear... and rollon again... OK.. I'm getting it... mind you I'm on roads with a 45 limit.. and in fifth, rolling the throttle, and..... seeeing the "real" thing.. ..so hell.. kick it down 2 and crank it.......(I'm not allowed to use the word I uttered..) lets just say Ralphie got to suck on a bar of Lifeboy soap, when he said it... now, into the "remote zone" or as I call it my "testing grounds", up/down/twisty roads, rated at 25-40 mph.. and very sketchy pavement.. ok... now I'm running in a gear higher, or even 2 higher, than I would have, doing severe uphill twists, without any possible "lag", or even need to downshift.... but, the dork in me says "kick it down, and ride it like you used to"--------, well.... let's just say, the turns like I was crawling on before,(and still dusting my pals if I was up front, or on their arse, flashing my lights ) are now being done while the front wheel is coming off the ground, and are very enjoyable (albeit scary as hell) , even on a 700# bike.. OMG.. now I'm having fun.. BUT.. I'm scared and clinching butt cheeks now.. and I do not, scare easily... down the road a bit more, and some "more" various gear "roll on's", between 40-100 mph, in various gears, and always trying to find a 'bog point".. I am very pizzed... I simply could NOT find a Bog point.. (are you getting this yet? I'm hoping this relates to some longtime rider's experiences..) all in all, and I will admit I never even came close to my old "redline", in any gear, and this flash pushed my redline up another 500rpm.. I have to get on a freeway "slab" and "see" the final, which I can only believe will be "karma"..
    50 mile loop, never got over 9k rpm (front wheel lofted many, MANY times, and I never loft a wheel), curves, de-cell, a gear higher all the time simply because it WILL pull (but I always downshift on downhills, I want my rpm to "work", and IT DOES)..

man oh man... "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner..." simply amazing.

On a remote road, with nobody on it, rolling along at 50 mph, in 5th gear, all I can say is when I pegged it, and had to shut the throttle off before reaching redline (not even close).. I was ... FLOORED.

Semper Fi Bro, you did well..
    I wish I could find some of those Face Book wannabees, up at the national rally, bring them to the nearest drag strip.. and THROW DOWN THE MONEY..

p.s.
    to add, reset mode on instruments, and in the driveway, when I returned home, even after all the abuse I gave it... showed 41.5 mpg.. and last ride I had prior, was significantly less on accumulation.. I expect to see 50+ mpg in my trip to the nationals, which would top my highest ever seen, on my '08.
  9. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Happy 12th birthday to my big girl!

[​IMG]
  10. MAN OF BLUES

Oddometer:
    happy birthday....:clap:clap congrats....

mine turned 12 last month, 7/7/07 purchase.
    still love it, she is heavy now (I am weaker), but sports a new Shoodabeen Mountain Runner Premium flash... that makes her run like she never ever did from the factory... roll on big man, and ride safe, hope you keep it forever, like I plan to do with mine...
    EVLED, dirtdreamer50 and tcs06 like this.
  11. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, she's been a keeper for a while now. Needs a little TLC at the moment and will definitely get that soon. And I need to take her on a decent ride...
  12. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    So my son came home from the city specifically to hop on the back of the Connie. He hasn't been on the back in years and many pounds ago. Crank up the rear preload and we rode 20 ish miles for some coffee. Way home we went on numerous back roads to bomb around a bit. First high rev speed run on a straight away the front lifted wayyy too easily in first and second! Good thing I found that out on a straight. Needless to say, we tip toed in the curves and roll on came well after apex the rest of the way.

I ride quick solo. My wife is 110lbs and she prefers going slow. Man, put a 190 kid on the back and the front becomes alarmingly light!!!! If I regularly rode with a pillion his weight, I would certainly be doing some more adjusting.
  13. MAN OF BLUES

Oddometer:
    Just posting this, to give a link for battery install for someone.. nothing big, COg forum is a pita to post phone pics to... 20190802_144404.jpg
  14. tcs06

tcs06 The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer:
    I want to give a shout out to Steve at Shoodaben.

I contacted him about whether I would need a reflash if I installed a full exhaust system. He quickly replied that yes, I would need a reflash. He also told me the diameter of the header I had chosen was too big for a Concours 14 and that while I would gain performance above 5000 rpm anything under that would be less than I have now. He also said it would be loud.

I asked if the system I chose was inferior. He asked for my phone number so he could call me.

Our phone conversation was very educational for me. Steve is a very patient man and he explained why he said the header bore was to big and what would be a better design. He went on to explain why a reflash to his Mountain Runner flash with the stock header and a slip on would get me the performance gains I am seeking.

Steve in no way dissed the exhaust system manufacturer nor did he try to hard sell me. He simply gave me suggestions as to how to proceed and maybe experiment a little.

I have been happy with my previous Shoodaben Flash and I expect I will be even happier with the new one.

Thanks again Steve.
  15. MAN OF BLUES

Oddometer:
    I have to back you up, as I've known Steve since he became a COG member... simply put, nobody; NOBODY in the world, has spent as much time, effort, and thought.. testing, and sampling, than him.. I'm so glad you talked one-on-one, to him, and explained "what you expected", so he could give you the specifics.

Myself, I am now running the Mountain Runner Premium flash, with a shortened "stock" can, on my '08... the difference I saw, when I finally said "do it", was night and day. I really won't ever spend the money for an aftermarket exhaust now, as I have what I "need", just as the bike sits now.

If you have access to premium fuel, locally, in good supply,(so far I have not been to a station that didn't have (91+ octane, they all have it today..and I was concerned with availability, but was just being stupid on my part...) I suggest you get that "premium" flash, right from the start.. the fuel cost compared to the performance increases, are well worth it, and so far I have actually found a 13 mpg increase from this flash alone... that pays for the fuel for sure... I went from a "historic 40-42 mpg over the last 12 years" to a now, smile inducing 53 mpg, and with performance I never imagined was contained in this engine.

You will NOT be disappointed...
    tcs06 likes this.
  16. tcs06

Oddometer:

I have always run premium in my bike and yes, I am getting the Mountain Runner Premium. Looking forward to it!
  17. MAN OF BLUES

Oddometer:
    Awesome... this was just after the last fill, and I cleared the system, and took a 2 hour "mega fun high speed" ride.. mind you, after I started, I think the only time I was below 80 mph, was in my neighborhood... the bars on the gas gage don't lie.
    20190821_155406.jpg

and I'll reiterate, this is an "08 model.. no silly 'eco' modes.. :imaposer

just wide open jammin' :p3rry:ricky:pynd:pynd
    Shaggie and tcs06 like this.
  18. tcs06

Oddometer:
    MOB,

You are absolutely correct. I am not dissapointed! So much smoother (if you can believe that) in low rpm's. Shifts now feel more positive. Before I occasionally missed hitting a gear just right.

I absolutely love the Mountain Runner Premium in conjunction with a slip on. I don't know why I waited so long!

As has been said, the stock muffler is heavy! It weighs more than the boxed header, muffler and connector pipes I bought combined. Unbelievable.

I'm not sure if it is the loss of weight or the new Flash but the bike seems to handle much better. I do know applying power coming out of a curve is much more precise.

If you haven't already, get your ECU to Steve @ Shoodaben!
  19. MAN OF BLUES

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap
    While I have no concerns whatsoever with trimming weight off "the bike", as I carry 30# of tools and stuff everywhere...
    I can live with my "shortened" OEM '08 muffler w/ 2 wall pipe (cooler running), chopped 6" off it...
    The OEM (I have 3 of them, and weighed them all...) only really weighs 21 # total, and I like the quiet it makes.
    tcs06 likes this.
  20. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got back from a 500mi ride this weekend. I didn't want it to end. I love this bike, my poor Ducati doesn't see many miles these days.
    tcs06 likes this.