confused on soft luggage for my 701

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willc86, Oct 9, 2019.

1. willc86

willc86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey all, so I am wondering if I can bypass the pannier rack and just somehow mount the luggage to the 701. issue is, the exhaust is right there and I dont want it to burn (obviously) my luggage. anyone has any inventions they did on their own or some work around? I do take my 701 on technical trails, so it will drop.

I was thinking of wrapping my exhaust with some heat tape, then putting a a heat shield on the luggage or something. gas tank is in the rear, so i can not drill a hole on the panel. pictures would be great!! luggage just big enough for short hotel stays.

or perhaps a metal clamp with some kind of pipe by the exhaust? or should I just get the pannier racks? can it withstand drops and crashes?
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    What luggage? Some work, some don't. I've switched to the horseshoe shape with no racks on my 690 and it's great.
  3. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. willc86

willc86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no idea! trying to find out what will work. the issue with the 701 is that huge exhaust that will melt my luggage lol. im not really sure how to mount it. if you have pictures that would be great!!
  5. willc86

willc86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking at these. isnt this a bit too close to the exhaust that it will melt my luggage? or do I mount it on that? heat shield tape and that should be good enough?
  6. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    My Wolfman bag hasn't melted in a couple of thousand miles of riding. I know the 690/701 has nuclear reactor for a muffler. But that shield has been all that is needed on my EXC
  7. willc86

willc86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

thank you!! yes! the 690 and 701 gets SUPER HOT compared to my other bikes like the DRZ, KLX etc. not sure why lol. this is what worries me. do you rest your bag on top of the shield? or is it tied on in a way?
  8. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    Just sits on the shield
  9. willc86

willc86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you! ill prob check that out then
  10. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    You might think about swapping out that exhaust. Most owners of these bikes do so with great results. My OEM exhaust can on the 690 about melted the plastic. It now sports a WINGS exhaust is it's better for it.
    sprouty115 and Bitingdog like this.
  11. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Run giant loop coyote on my 17 with no exhaust shield. Love ,and sometimes not so much relationship. Bag is absolutely rock solid and doesn’t move around at all but takes some good planning so that whatever item that you will need next time you open it is close to the top. Without a rack I have had rectangular bags get into the chain since only one lower corner is secured and they can twist just hanging from the top straps.
  12. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used a gl coyote but recently switched to a altrider hemisphere and think it's better. I could get away without a heat shield if I wanted, and even have it adjusted forward so I don't need to touch it to re-fuel. Everything about the altrider feels like an evolution from the coyote. If I was to buy new, I'd just get the harness and mix and match dry bags in the harness.

IMG_20190917_074154.jpg IMG_20190917_074215.jpg IMG_20190917_074225.jpg
  13. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look at Mosko Moto bags.
  14. JHutchens

JHutchens n00b

Oddometer:
    80413091-00EB-4C91-A875-4124EE0BFBBD.jpeg 5803E3F5-A0AB-423A-A008-8EA05E654296.jpeg Mosko Moto Reckless 80 comes with a heat shield that attaches by hose clamp to the exhaust. I’ve gone on a couple multi day on and offroad trips with it and its worked flawlessly. Crucial part of the system is the Perun Moto rear rack and the extension plate that he sells. The extension plate pushes the Reckless out and drapes it perfectly around the turn signals and exhaust. Hook the lower straps of the luggage to the passenger pegs and you’re rollin’!
    BobcatSig likes this.
  15. willc86

willc86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you all. I was looking at some pictures and decided to go with a pannier rack system. I am going to try and use dryspec saddle bags. I hope they can mount on the rack system just fine. part of the big reason too is I like High viz on my bike ... might help somewhat to unaware drivers