Conquest and Glory in Southern Utah

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NotMinimalist, Jul 4, 2018.

1. NotMinimalist

NotMinimalist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are a few more photos from activities around camp. All taken by Adam. You should probably check him out on instagram if you want to get his photos straight from the source.

29025007918_6e94954b39_k.jpg 29025008908_3a0773673a_o.jpg 42179128034_9987f0d938_o.jpg
    td63, Bruno T . and chudzikb like this.
  2. TRIPPEEE

TRIPPEEE ugh

Oddometer:
    Diggin this RR! Doing some crazy shit on oldscool bikes in a region I've always wanted to ride. Moar please!
    NotMinimalist likes this.
  3. NotMinimalist

NotMinimalist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 7

Like yesterday, I head to bed at an hour that could be considered the next day. Adam stays up even later because he plans to spend the next day here with the crowd again. This is the reason why we both carried full toolkits and food systems, because we knew we'd split up eventually. I've gotta get back to Moab and (hopefully) the van to drive up to Idaho. Adam will spend a few more days ripping around, seeing friends, soaking in hot springs, and generally trying to keep himself out of trouble.

Shane is going to take his Africa Twin back up to Salt Lake City, so he offers to show me a quick dirt route north to the highway. My goal is Green River to refill gas to make it to Moab.
    [​IMG]

The geologic materials just can't seem to stop doing wild stuff. Probably wouldn't want to try crossing that mud/clay plain when it's rainy.

A quick water crossing. Shane came through here on his way south, so he knows this simple crossing doesn't have surprises and we can see the bottom. Even though it makes you look like a pansy, there are merits to walking a crossing first.
    [​IMG]

Supposedly you're not supposed to go into these abandoned houses because mice live there and they poop out some nasty bacteria that's real bad for people. I can't remember what it's called. We check it out from the outside.
    [​IMG]
    Shane took the above photo

Yes, he's got KTM hard boxes on his Africa Twin but that's cause he used to ride a 990 (or was it a 950?) and his regular Globetrottin soft luggage needed some repairs this weekend.

Next time on MTV Cribs!
    [​IMG]

Shane and I split at this little intersection of gravel roads. He heads toward Salt Lake City trying to beat some gathering rain up there. He points me toward Black Dragon Canyon and off I go.

[​IMG]

The ecology changes a little bit and wayyy off to the right a tiny bit you can start seeing some canyons again.
    [​IMG]

Now we're getting closer to the goods. I received a bit of explanation about the riding conditions in the canyon, but Shane said it wouldn't be an issue for me. Thats the thing about trail difficulty, skill levels, "one man's pain is the next man's pleasure," it's really hard to know what something will be like based on someones explanation.

[​IMG]

Imagine this: You're ambling along on your tired horse with the high sun baking down above you and a couple other cowboys are following close behind. The wind shifts, and you know it's unrelated, but you look up to on that little gap in the ridge for some reason. You blink and feel a quick, sour burst of adrenaline leech from your stomach and pool through your forearms and into your hands. Six bandits are silhouetted against the careless sky until the move out of sight....

That's just one of the little visions that played in my brain.

[​IMG]

The road/trail gets a bit rockier with a few step-downs that would be more interesting heading the opposite direction.

Rock colors just folding my mind completely inside out. Incredible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Passing a few mall crawlers reminds you that you're not very far from civilization at all.

[​IMG]

After popping out of Black Dragon Canyon I take the pavement over to Green River and eat some junky food. There's a way to take a dirt connector from just outside Green River down to Moab, so that's what I aim for. I must've taken the wrong one because I'm not on the dirt for very long. Pretty soon it's back to the pavement and sitting in traffic through Moab.

Here's where my stress levels increase a bit. The Rental Car Lady (RCL) told me I could swing by their office at the Moab airport on Sunday (the office is closed) between 9am and 12 to get myself put back on the rental plan. I had myself taken off to save money while not actively driving it. But it was past noon so I didn't even bother stopping by the airport office.

I pull into the rental parking lot fully ready to just drive the van to Idaho without myself on the papers and risk it all. Not smart, but I don't have time to wait until Monday morning.

Literally as I'm pulling into the lot I see the rental office garage door close. Dude! There might be someone at the office! I go to the office and expect it to be locked – the RCL waves me in! And within a few minutes I'm all legal to drive it again. I walk outside and she follows me a moment later to drive home. If I had gotten stuck behind one red light, I would've missed this chance. Wild.
    chudzikb likes this.
  4. NotMinimalist

NotMinimalist Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I drive the van late into the night and stop at a truck stop somewhere in SLC to lay out my camping mat on the floor and sleep next to everything I own plus some extra gas fumes to keep me company. A quick McDonalds "breakfast" and I'm headed to Idaho.

Here's a few pics of the setup. Adam would arrive in a few days with a dirty KLR and we'd get him headed back to Michigan. That's a solid solo drive right there.

IMG_7949.JPG IMG_7948.JPG IMG_7950.JPG

I get a hotel room to shower and clean up before my first day of work. During lunch I go to get my rental place set up so I have somewhere to sleep that night. Quite the reintroduction to regular life after a solid week+ of the good life.
    td63, slacker1965 and chudzikb like this.
  5. sk3tch

sk3tch n00b

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed this rr! The write up was fun and interesting and the pics were terrific. Camping off the bikes for free is the way to go. Great job!
  6. nephron

nephron countercurrent exchanger Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! I hope you're still out riding UT
  7. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the read. Was there much silence at night. Take Care Petepilot.