1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Considering 701 Enduro

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DirtHammers, Aug 10, 2018.

1. DirtHammers

DirtHammers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Selling my dual sport WR450F next month so I can soon purchase a 701 Enduro. I’m drawn to this bike because of its 74hp, 6th gear, cush hub, ground clearance, lighter than my KLR650, and full enduro type travel suspension.

Currently today I use my WR450F to explore area’s around the Southeast like GA, AL, Tenn, etc. looking for dirt roads, trails, powerlines, basically in search of anything offroad. My WR450F falls short in the gear box area and no cush hub, makes traveling on pavement a pain and only able to really ride paved backroads. So, I’m considering the 701 Enduro so I can continue to explore and travel to these area’s maybe quicker and in more comfort.

What do I need to know about these bikes?

Known fixable issues?

How reliable are they?

Must have accessories?
  2. Ray R

Ray R Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm considering a 701 Supermoto and have the same questions.
    Trying to find specific info searching through 1100+ pages of the main 701 thread is difficult at best.
    I'd be coming off a 2016 BMW GSA. I'm not touring long distances like I used to.
    I'm rather tall at 6'4", and 60yrs old. I ride on the street 99% of the time.
    Any help is appreciated!
    DirtHammers likes this.
  3. RonSJC

RonSJC Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I picked up a 701 E earlier this year............ Just do it, you won't regret it. Tons of info on the 701 thread. Have there been issues with the bike? Yes, but most report no issues, I'm one of them. Any more issues than any other bike? Probably not. Must have accessories: Gas
    You can always wade through all the pages and accessorize later, but out of the box, it's just great. I'd get a '17 or newer. Almost as smooth as any V-Twin I've ridden.
    youngblood and DirtHammers like this.
  4. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree with the above. Only thing that could be better is really the transmission. I wish it was a little wider ratio. But that’s me being picky. Overall awesome bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DirtHammers likes this.
  5. Bowber

Bowber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've recently got one, I also have an EXC and a 1050 Adv.
    The 701 isn't as good as the EXC off road or the Adv on road but it's close and a good compromise if your tall enough and are used to off road bias bikes.

Steve
    DirtHammers likes this.
  6. neoned

neoned master fabricator-

Oddometer:
    I have the 2017 701 SM---pure essence of a motorcycle--- try to find one-------and jump on it!
  7. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Ray R

Ray R Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For anyone who compared them, why did you choose the 701 SM over the 690 Duke? Newer models have the same engine, right?
  9. DirtHammers

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies and feedback, yeah the 701 Enduro just seems to fit me perfectly for what I want to do.
  10. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
  11. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Those are completely different bikes...
  12. tomrayjr

tomrayjr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went back and forth between the 701 and the 501/500excf. I went with the 500excf only because I had owned a 690 enduro before and while I know the 701 is more refined on the road, I didn't really hate the 690 on the road. I began to hate it off the road. If you are slabbing a lot between AL, GA, and TN, the 701 is the way to go. I have given up on slabbing a lot. Too many distracted idiots driving around...
    Navin, DirtHammers and Gundy like this.
  13. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    That does seem to be the way of things over time doesn't it?
    But even if an upgrade happens and you don't consider it an upgrade, it will trigger a drop in resale for the now-'previous' model which is a benefit if buying used.
    Anders- likes this.
  14. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out THIS THREAD it says the gear spread is exactly the same vs. the WR450.(look at ktm690) even though it has a 6th gear. I find it to be OK since it runs well at low rpm and can run high rpms no problem, but it is NOT a wide ratio trans. I have mine geared down a bit. Low is too fast for steep downhills, and cruising is great at 65 mph.

Which is the next thing. The seat and lack of screen make higher speeds suck. I put on a minimal screen and new seat, so 65 is ok now. Many install bigger screens though.

It gets really hot at trail speeds. I boiled the gas at one point.

Overall I really like it. I don't do trails much, lots of gravel and 2track plus backroads. The suspension works great although I don't really flog it.
    DirtHammers likes this.
  15. DirtHammers

Oddometer:
    All good points, thanks. I have also looked at the 500EXCF and FE501, these bikes are super great off-road but I feared I would hate any time I needed to spend on the pavement. Just like my WR450F and same for the 500 KTM's/Huskys these engines are basically built from their racing brothers and have short oil change intervals and hold small amounts of oil, no cush hubs but this is hit or miss it seems, the WR450F's seem to have a few trans related failures due to this but the KTMs/Husky not so much. One other thing is that my WR450F was never intended to be a dual sport so it's missing a few small things that the big 500cc dual sports already have, the WR450F just needs a 6th gear. When all possible I try to keep any pavement time spent on backroads while getting to the dirt. I basically need a bike that can handle any pavement time and then be able to handle enduro trails, dirt roads, 2 track, etc once I get to where I'm going, asking a lot from any of the mentioned bikes for sure.
    tomrayjr likes this.
  16. DirtHammers

Oddometer:
    A lot of good info in that thread, thanks for sharing. One things that is missing is the engine design. The engines stroke has a huge affect on how many rpm's the engine will pull. That's what is killing my WR450F is it's 60.8mm stroke, even with 14/50 sprockets she just cranks to high of RPM's while trying to maintain speed limits on any paved road (no highways). I have ran 15/50 and she is happier on pavement but in the dirt it was a deal killer. So these 690/701 bikes have more like an 80mm stroke so they can cruise at lower RPM's plus they have displacement on their side as well for overall power. Any electric fan kits for the 701? If I can run 60 on pavement for any given amount of time to get to the dirt then I should be happy. Right now I ride some pretty technical stuff with the WR450F but may need to adjust my riding some with the 701.
  17. tomrayjr

tomrayjr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was just looking for weight reduction. I got the 690 and slabbed a lot on knobbies (skyway, tail of the dragon). I specifically got it over the 500 because I wasn't ready to give up 200+ mile rides. I'm ready now, and anything over 30 miles of slab I simply throw this light bike in back of my Tundra. I was probably 95/5 street/trail on the 690. Right now I'm 50/50 street/trail on the 500. I'm just really starting to like smaller, lighter bikes. I have spent a lot of time overseas lately, maybe that's why.
    DirtHammers likes this.
  18. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    500/501 comparison to the 701

I think you will find the biggest difference will be in suspension, handling and weight.

From the Husqvarna specs: (which can be found in the last pages of the owners manuals)

501 vs 701
    Front suspension 25 mm more travel
    Rear suspension 55 mm more travel
    Front rotor 40 mm smaller
    Rear rotor 20 mm smaller
    Steering head angle .5 degree steeper head angle
    Ground clearance 90 mm more
    Seat height 20 mm more
    tank capacity 4.5 liters less
    weight 35.7 kilos less (78.5 lbs)
    Engine oil capacity .5 qt less
    wheelbase 20 mm less
    max possible weight 15 kg less

2018 Owners manuals

http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.co..._bike_bed_18_3402177_en_om__sen__aepi__v1.pdf

http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.co..._bike_bed_18_3402203_en_om__sen__aepi__v1.pdf

Gearing Commander speed vs rpm results

MY17/18 FE501 with stock 14/45 gearing
    [​IMG]

701 with factory gear set (note, not sure what max rpm is with the 701)
    [​IMG]
    DirtHammers likes this.
  19. DirtHammers

Oddometer:
    I think that's where I'm at is that I over loading bikes and driving them somewhere to ride them, I still love those 200 plus mile rides, why I'm leaning toward the 701. I still have a KLR650 2011 model, but not real sure what I'll do with it, probably keep it for multi days or even longer trips.
    tomrayjr likes this.
  20. DirtHammers

Oddometer:
    Tanks for sharing the charts and links, good info.