Considering a 2014 F800 GS - What to look for? (I live in Thailand)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Best Revenge, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Best Revenge

Best Revenge n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I'm an American who's been doing the expat thing for the past while and I've recently relocated to Thailand. I'm gearing up to buy a used 'midweight' ADV bike (I have my heart set on a T7 but there's a 40-50% import tariff even on Japanese bikes, so that's out...) and the used market (within my budget) seems to pretty much exclusively be 2014-2016 F800 GSs and Tiger 800 XCxs. I've found what I hope is a pretty solid lead on a 2014 F800 GS that looks nice and has all the 'farkles' I would otherwise add.

I'm pretty sure it's a private seller, though, and I already know there is going to be a language barrier when I go see the bike next week. So... absent being able to review maintenance records from a BMW-certified service center, etc., what are some of the go-to things I should be looking for? Anything specific to a 2014 MY in addition to the normal checklist items?

I've checked out this thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/what-to-look-for-when-buying-a-used-f800gs.803642/ but wanted to put this back to the group to see if any further ideas given the different model year and my current adopted home...

Thanks in advance!
  2. czechyour6

czechyour6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Solid bikes, I would change fork oil to the newer 11.5 weight it will improve dive a lot over the stock 7.5 that got discontinued. Also if you get up to 18-24 k check valves if they haven't been or its unknown. Past good maintenance is key!
  3. Yycools

Yycools Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a fellow expat in Singapore, and bought a MY2013 F800gs about 1.5 years ago. Here my feedback:

Check if the bike has been stored inside or outside most of the time, you can tell by seeing how faded the plastic buttons on the handlebar are, it'll be worn, but a bike that's sitting out in the sun for all its life would be almost completely discolored. If that's the case you should inspect all the rubber hoses to make sure it hasn't hardened or cracking.

What's the mileage? typical F800gs in Singapore are touring machines so they are all around 60k+ KM, has the owner done all the associated servicing? If the bike is at/near 40k/80k a valve clearance job would be required (~300-500USD job in Singapore) If it's a higher mileage machine (100k+) clutch pack might need to be replaced

How does the engine sound? Does it sound smooth or have an audible tick as you rev up? F800gs is known to have a loud ticking noise for older ones, won't affect reliability but annoying.

How does the bike turn? My steering cone bearing needed replacing when I got the bike, you can tell by when you stop the bike, the bike has a tendency of not wanting to stop straight, pretty cheap fix, $100 bucks or so with parts

Suspension: touch the front stanchions where it meets the fork tubes to see if there's oil sippage, the fork seals in our climate tend to wore out faster, won't be expensive to replace, but good to know

Does the owner have a chain oiler installed? (Scott oiler or something like that), if so, open up the plastic panel and check the sludge builtup in/around the front sprocket, you'll be surprised by the amount of oily mud that's there since in our part of the world there's a lot more dirt roads

Check if all the teeth are there in the front sprocket and count the number of teeth, F800gs should have 16T in the front, but a lot of owners who use the bike for touring will install 17T in the front for better fuel economy and top speed, at the cost of acceleration

Other than these, I think you just need the typical bike buying checklist: Make sure no oil leakage, chain isn't too stretched (f800gs should have a bit of chain slack so that's normal), wheels are straight and bearings are ok (no noise when turning) if the bike has ESA and rider modes make sure it all works, make sure the ABS off switch works.

All in all, my 800 has been quite reliable and I am very hard on the bike (there's only one offroad area in Singapore, and it's more for dirt bikes...), it is a very capable bike although it does get buzzy above 5k rpm.

BMW has a pretty big following in Thailand, you can always take the bike to get inspected at a BMW dealer (assuming you're in Bangkok, or a city that has BMW Motorrad dealer), otherwise, negotiate the price with some servicing/repair cost build into it.

One more thing, you should look into Enduro Park Thailand for some structured offroad training (https://www.enduropark-thailand.com/), they are a BMW certified offroad school like RawHyde in the US. They offer Level 1 and 2 training regularly (over a weekend or something) and it's a lot of fun! You can rent a GS from them but locals usually bring their own GS, they can do the training in English. In fact, before COVID a lot of us in Singapore would ride/fly up for offroad training at the EPT.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase and hope this helps.