Considering a KTM 640 adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by cpcf250, Apr 20, 2005.

1. cpcf250

cpcf250 PTO

Oddometer:
    Hello, I’ve been lurking for a while and trying to read as much as I can about the KTM 640. I’ve ridden dirt bikes in the past and I’m looking into getting a dual sport to ride with my brother. Anyway, the KTM 640 looks promising, but I haven’t decided on new versus used. Does anyone know the major differences from model year 2000 – 2004 (I know 2005 changes based on the current brochure). Is there anything specific I should look out for (i.e., potential issues) on a used 2000 – 2004 – if I go that route. Lastly, about how many miles will a well maintained 640 go before a major engine overhaul? Thanks for your help. Great site!
  2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    The big changes I know of happened in 2003:

1) High Flow head w/ larger exhaust valves
    2) Magura hydraulic clutch
    3) main bearing upgraded

but search around as this was beat to death in the past. the search engine here suxs so use Google and add the switch "site:www.advrider.com"

oh, the engine life varies based on use and maintenance, of course, but there are those that go 50K which ain't bad for a HP DS eh?
  3. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    If there was such a thing as www.640adv.com/faqs or similar that would be the place to go!! As that doesn't seem to exist, this is probably the next best place (any german sites?) to come for your research! '03 and onwards are better bikes.
  4. John E Davies

John E Davies Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You need to tell us where you live. The 640 Adv was not brought into the US in 2004, and only in very limited numbers in '05. If I had to pick a year to buy used, it would be '03.

John Davies
  5. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the good folks that own '02 and earlier bikes didn't misunderstand this statement and carrry no ill will towards you. :evil

From the perspective of an '03 owner, and having ridden '02 and earlier bikes, I can safely say that the of all the "improvements" found on the '03, they hydraulic clutch is the most valued... and they make hydraulic clutch kits for the pre '03 bikes... so there is no reason at all not to look at a clean, well cared for pre '03 Adventure.
    Personally, for the type of riding I do... the '04 to present bikes are more trublesome. Great for the street and dry trails, but for any serious off-roading, you would want to lose the right front brake and get a high mount front fender.

Try not to step on any more pre '03 toes... M-kay? :lol3
  6. Velocibiker

Velocibiker Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer:
    Even though I have an '02, I wish I would have waited for the '03. The new & improved bearing, the hydro clutch, better center stand, HF head and other improvements are worth it (IMO). I like the color scheme for the '02 better tho :D

Nothing against an '02 or older, it's just that in this case, as with most bikes, the newer models are "better" than the old ones. OTOH, I think the '05s are more street oriented with the dual front disks and low front fender, but that's because the 640 and the 950 now share all the same parts up front. I think it was a cost savings move by KTM. This may or may not bother you. Finally, I just can't get over the day-glow orange metal flake paint on the 05's :eek1 . It's just too much for me :rofl ....

Although - don't look away from the LC4e, or the 525 or 625. All depends on the type of riding you will be doing.
  7. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Still... with the exception of the head, nothing that cannot be "upgraded" for not a whole lot of money.

Speaking of heads... I'll have two blueprinted "High Flows" up for grabs in a week or two. :evil One with the '03 cam. :evil :evil
  8. Velocibiker

Oddometer:
  9. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Are those "optimized" for use with the FCR carburetor? :deal
  10. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
  11. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    A really good port is not all that picky about the name on the side of the carb. :lol3
  12. Velocibiker

Oddometer:
    A few more specific answers for ya:

Issues? Some reports of excessive clutch cable breakage. Front fork seal leakage. (I've had neither >>knock on wood<<)

Major engine overhaul? Lots and lots and lots or miles. That's one of the major benefits of the LC4 motor. It's the Energizer Bunny of motors..
  13. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris... here is a made in heaven photoshop op! :evil
  14. phixmup

phixmup возьми Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    the LC4 engine has been tested & beaten to pulp from its inception, history proves that. Every body likes NEW, but cannot afford, nor need due to application. 3 mod's which are basic, with clutch being the most signifcant should not become a factor in buying a used motorcycle of any brand. If thats the case then resale of ALL bikes would become extinct, but we all no that will never be the case. RIDE ON!
  15. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Not quite sure how to use it....maybe I'll think of something :cry
  16. cpcf250

cpcf250 PTO

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input! I'm in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Massachusetts</st1:place></st1:State> (most riding will be in western and northern <st1:State><st1:place>Maine</st1:place></st1:State>). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Was it technically a new or different model starting in 03? (in reference to the post about being careful not to offend owners of 02's and earlier). I thought I saw a 2000 640 Adventure for sale out of one of <st1:City><st1:place>Carolina</st1:place></st1:City>'s. Thus, I thought 2000 -2005 are all 640 Adventure's, but maybe I haven't read enough yet.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks again everyone.
  17. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Woo, that black is hard to read. Yes, they are all Adventures. KTM did make quite a few useful changes in the '03 model year however... as I said, the hydro clutch being the most useful and day to day practical. A Magura hydro clutch kit is available for '02 and earlier for about $225.
  18. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    n00b dood....lose the black type face....I'm gettin' a headache :cry
  19. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Who's the ol' Fooker?
  20. cpcf250

cpcf250 PTO

Oddometer:
    Sorry for above post with shading!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Here it is again more readable (hopefully):

Thanks for the input! I’m in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Massachusetts</st1:place></st1:State> (most riding will be in western and northern <st1:State><st1:place>Maine</st1:place></st1:State>).

Was it technically, a new or different model starting in 03? (in reference to the post about not offending owners of 02’s and earlier) I thought I saw a 2000 640 Adventure for sale out of the <st1:City><st1:place>Carolina</st1:place></st1:City>’s. Thus, I thought 2000-2005 are all 640 Adventures, but maybe I haven’t read enough yet.

Thanks again.