Considering a move to Kuwait from the USA

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by verboten, Apr 6, 2016.

1. verboten

verboten confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the great advantages of my profession is the ability to work abroad. Long story short, I have a nice offer to take an assignment in Kuwait. The possibility of riding the Middle East and Africa while being employed is a strong temptation that offsets the relocation hassle. Plus I have friends in Europe that will only be hours away.

What can you tell me about living and playing in Kuwait? Yes it's hot there, no worries.
    Any USA expats here doing it currently?
  2. verboten

Oddometer:
    What about obtaining a bike while I'm there? Can you recommend some classifieds or dealers for Kuwait?
  3. verboten

Oddometer:
    Anyone...
  4. Reefdog

Reefdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lived in UAE for 11 years
    Rode uae, Iran,the stans and Oman and Jordan .
    Oman and Jordan great.
    The rest are third world thinking they are first world,
    If you like your freedoms, stay at home
    I got home oz last October , freedom
    Ernbo6 likes this.
  5. ADV973

ADV973 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, if you got Instagram contact these guys they are very active and can be a great help to you in Kuwait or GCC
    @gulf_bikers_adv
    @q8_adventure
    @adventure_netwrk
    @kw_dicovery
    @super_adv_riders
    @anwar_adventurer
  6. verboten

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much!
  7. ADV973

ADV973 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anytime
  8. USMC_Engineer

USMC_Engineer E-A-G-L-E-S

Oddometer:
    It's pretty much like Death Valley...

I spent a little while there back in the day thanks to Uncle Sam ;). You know, that whole Iraq, initial invasion thingy...

It's Goddamed hot as hell.

I remember we were in a Military convoy on a paved highway and we got passed like we were standing still by a brand new vette, a Porsche and I believe a Ferrari.

To have oil money....lol.

Sorry I really can't provide much info on actually living there though...

EDIT: Just saw you were from Phoenix, the other hell on earth... Lol, you'll do just fine in Kuwait. I once Mt. Biked in Phoenix and thought I was gonna die out in the desert after running out of water. I just don't like the heat.... Lol.
  9. verboten

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's hot here in PHX as well :)
    I suspect the riding is severely lacking in Kuwait though.
  10. USMC_Engineer

Oddometer:

Edited my post above...

;)
  11. verboten

Oddometer:
    I'm a desert rat for sure. We ride mountain bikes at night or predawn June-September to avoid the heat. It's usually only 80 degrees at 5 am :)
  12. USMC_Engineer

Oddometer:
    Yup, I totally screwed the pooch and rode mid day, it was brutal. Not fun...:bash

Anyways I'd suggest a quick YouTube search of "motorcycling in Kuwait", "Kuwait motorcycles" and the such and see what you think. I just watched a few myself. Seemes like they have a few clubs, etc... I honestly never really had a chance to go into any of the cities or explore due to the circumstances back then..
  13. Ernbo6

Ernbo6 Ad augusta per angusta. Supporter

Oddometer:
    find the website Dubizzle.... I believe your best bet will be to get with riders from the U.A.E. and possibly Qatar.
    Hot....yes you bet. Despite the heat there are plenty of small Honda and Yamaha cycles there used by delivery drivers. Even the McDonald's in Dubai has motorcycle delivery.
    The riding season for ex-pats is from October to March.... there are riding events and competitions. I had the same hopes of getting over there and getting a bike and learning how to navigate the sand.
    Caution:....... Remember you will be an ex-pat in a Muslim country with no rights.
    ARABS and other third country nationals can't drive..... they have no regard for you, other motorists and it is one of the most dangerous places to drive a motorcycle.
    Best of luck and good wishes.
  14. Ernbo6

Ernbo6 Ad augusta per angusta. Supporter

Oddometer:
    As one of the other inmates mentioned... there is great off road riding in Oman and in the Hatta region of the U.A.E. There are motorcycle rentals available in Dubai.
  15. verboten

Oddometer:
    Thanks for keeping this conversation going, learning a lot.
  16. imhotep

imhotep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I lived in Kuwait about 10 years ago and hated every minute of it. At the time there was a BMW bike dealer where I got an Airflow helmet (illegal in the US) but best hot weather helmet in the world. Good luck. I am in Cairo now.
  17. verboten

Oddometer:
    What was it that made you hate it? Why did you stay 10 years?
  18. imhotep

imhotep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did not stay ten years. I moved to Dubai after 6 months and have since lived/worked in UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, KSA, Cairo now.
    I was lucky in Kuwait to hook up socially with some well-connected Kuwaitis with nice Arabian Gulf chalets where their bars were well-stocked for weekend visits. Impossible to get a beer otherwise.
    Kuwaitis can have an attitude problem for most other middle east countries - just ask any Egyptian about how nasty they can be when visiting here. As an American expat in Kuwait, you will get plenty of respect, especially after we kicked Saddam out of there.
  19. verboten

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response.
    I talked to a few people working in Kuwait...
    Seems there is a serious home brew culture :)
    I'll have to pack some yeast.

The Pork ban seems to be an issue for many. Not sure if I will be able to smuggle in a breeding set of piglets though :(
  20. imhotep

imhotep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At the time I left Kuwait City, I had a couple of trash cans brewing red and white wine which I gifted to some Brits on my way out the door. Definitely bring some wine yeast, easily concealed in tiny packets. Airlocks, a hygrometer and racking tubes will be your best friends . . .
    As to bacon, stop by Costco or Sam's Club and buy the vacuum packs. Kuwait airport entry has no bacon-sniffing pooches.