Considering Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by HappyGoLucky, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    First off, there is a serious manpower shortage in Western Canada. You and your wife are guaranteed work.
    Secondly, if you are wanting to avoid rain, Vancouver proper and points 50 miles east might get on your case. If however you go 120 miles east, you are in desert, where it gets to 110deg F in summer, and dry but cold winters [-25F].
    As for the rest of the country, I'm biased, I'm a west coast boy, so there's no other place really. I live 15 miles east of downtown Vancouver, rode my bike to work today, no problem, 50degF. If and when I retire though, It would probably be to the popcorn dry southern Okanogan, towns Osoyoos, Pentictin, Keremeous, even Hedley. Right now, there's tons of work, and great money down here.
    Also, the only thing that is expensive in Vancouver is housing. Everything else is cheap, well, maybe beer and whiskey could be cheaper too!!
    Ciao, Steve
  2. R.J.

R.J. split personality

Oddometer:
    I agree with Steve G. that there is most definitely a labour shortage in the west. I currently live near Edmonton, but have also lived in the interior of B.C. and Calgary. I am also biased, and a true westerner at heart. My suggestion to you is to take a winter vacation in Canada and then come back during the summer. Check out the places that other people have mentioned and see for yourself what you like, during both summer and winter. Every place has it's own charms and drawbacks. The west coast is beautiful, but rainy and expensive. The interior is also beautiful, but jobs may be more limited. Calgary area is booming with lots of jobs and close to the mountains, but you have to get a ways from city to find "small town" life. Edmonton is also booming and there are many small towns and acreages within easy commuting distance of the city. The drawback is that no matter how you figure it, we get 7-8 months of winter and very few chinooks. Taxes are lower in Alberta, but the weather is colder. You have to decide what is most important to you. Good luck on your search!
  3. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I live on northern Vancouver Island { a ferry +4 hr ride from Vancouver} and best way to describe the area is quiet and layed back. The traffic kinda ends once you get north of Cambell River. While the job market and economies are hot closer to the cities and population centres things aren't quite so rosy in the smaller centres. The Island is a great place to live and you can ride year round if you don't mind the rain and marine chill in the winter. BC has such a diversity of climatic and scenic regions to ride and explore and that is why it ranks near the top of the list for places to ride in Canada.
  4. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone!

Wow, a tremendous amount of response, and many thanks to you all for your contributions.

Imagine someone dead new to the country really, and now see how much I will have to do to get a good idea of what you are suggesting.

Having gone through the lists, I see that Kelowna (?) looks lovely, and I see that its not that far from Calgary.

What I am trying to say is that I have a lot of work to go through and thanks a ton for your suggestions.

Indeed - jobs and housing come first really, and then great things like the freedom of nature come second at the moment. :cry Its clear to me that the country is a lot safer than where I am from, and so that one all important value is taken care of.

Would it be safe to say that my lady could go for a run of 10 miles by herself early morning or in the evening??

She cant do it here without having me follow her or her just going to gym to run it out on the treadmill :puke1

I will probably take a week to go through all the names and increasing my knowledge of Canada from a relative zero to something minimally workable.

Thanks again, and if anyone hears of jobs available for physiotherapists (shes also interested in animal physiotherapy - and of course the human variety too) and something nature oriented for me too (though i will do anything really), then please let us know.

BIG thank you to everyone who offered their email addresses and pm's - that is most kind!!!

All the best, George and Hilde
  5. canuck

canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You should see all the bloody joggers here in Vancouver.

Your wife is more likely to be hit by a car than being assaulted while running. Having said that this is 2006 and crappy things happen.

I think you will find that personal safety is not an issue in Canada like it seems in SA.

Patrick
  6. canuck

canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    There are a 1,000,000 people in Calgary now, and if a girl went for a run alone anytime and was attacked, it would be headline news in the papers and TV. Same for Kelowna... and most of western Canada I guess.

Here's a pic just west of Calgary
    [​IMG]
    Here's Kelowna
    [​IMG]
    Vancouver
    [​IMG]
  8. Ngorongoro

Ngorongoro boon

Oddometer:
    Just send the Bikes :deal!

Seriously, I have one person in my office from South Africa who has been here 1 1/2 years and have worked with others who have come over to Canada in the last 6 years.

They all say the quality of life is superior in Canada versus SA.

Good Luck with your decision.
  9. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    I have a few friends from SA living in and around Toronto and love it. There's also a SA butcher here.
  10. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have very good friends originally from Salsbury, Rhodesia, now Harare, Zimm. And also very good friends from Cape Town. My Rhodiesian buddies left in '79, just in time I guess, but they mention the fact that a loaded and unplugged 12 guage was always hanging out the car window. A born-n-bred Canadian just can't imagine such stuff, but he's got bullet wounds from the "troubles" to prove it. My family doctor of 20 yrs is also from the Cape, and he recently flew back to get his family out of there. He says it's just a matter of time before S.A. goes the way of Zim. Without getting into anything politically incorrect, I'd say it's time to get the @&%$ out of there!!
    It's too bad really, as all of southern Africa is mind bogglingly beatuiful.
    Ciao, Steve
  11. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Thanks all..... wow

Busy applying now for jobs etc, and to continue to set the government process in action.

Also saving up money for the trip, wow it will be expensive. 6.5 of ours to one of yours...:puke1

Let me say that Canada is a beautiful country!!
  12. BringSparesAlong

BringSparesAlong Pist N Broke

Oddometer:
    Hello, You might try one off the ski hills for employment to get your foot in the door.Sun Peaks (45 min from Kamloops) always seems to have people from all over the world working there. try www.sunpeaksresort.com If you have any construction skills, or are willing to work, jobs should not be a problem. Don't freak out about the winter. Nothing like -25C to freeze your nose hairs, and make you appreciate hot rum toddys. I moved to Kamloops 14 years ago and don't miss Vancouver at all. I was born and grew up there, but the rain finally got to me. It's a beautiful city, just not my cup of tea. We have two religons here, Hockey and everything else. If I figure out how to post pictures, I'll post some! Hope this helps.
    Bye for now
    BSA
  13. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Lived all over the country and the WEST is BEST. BC is no 1 for quality of life and Alberta is no 1 for jobs. Of course BC has the best riding in the world. Both on and off road. 90% of the roads arn't paved so lots of exploring to be done. Can't touch all of it in your life time. Calgary is 7 hours from Kelowna at an easy pace but only 3 hours to BC border. Don't get me wrong, lots of good riding in Alberta too but BC is unbelievable. If you choose the EAST, of well. 2nd best is OK too.
  14. Bern

Bern Is it hot in here?

Oddometer:
    Well if you were to move to the Yukon I'm pretty sure your lady could land a very good government job almost instantly and if you have any construction experience you will do very well too.
    Don't let the cold scare you, if you are well prepared it really isn't all that bad and you might even enjoy the challenges it presents. Besides, the summers are so awsome it makes the winters worth the wait.
  15. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, unless your bikes are 15 years old or more, don't even think about trying to import them. Been thru that whole thing, and it just won't happen. Unless you import a US model, forget about it. Over 15, minor paperwork and you're good to go. Ministry of Transport are a bunch of whack jobs. :loco
  16. woodgrain

woodgrain In-Dented Savant

Oddometer:
    We need more tall blond women in Canada! Please come over and check us out. I'm sure you'll get to enjoy cod tongues and moose meat and maple syrup and all the other stuff that makes this country THE BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD TO LIVE!(universal health care notwithstanding)

Woodgrain

Haggis for all
  17. curbjumper

curbjumper Compulsive Lane Changer

Oddometer:
  18. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    A northern winter has a certain charm all it's own, of course, that depends on how far north (ie, remote) you are...

But stepping out into the night with the stars so close you can touch them and the northern lights all fired up is an experience that makes the cold worth it. Who knows, you might find out that you actually like it. There is no sleep like the sleep you get under a pile of blankets on a cold night.
  19. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to live just over the border in Bellingham, Washington, and I must say our frequent trips into Canada were among my favorite times. One other consideration, especially for someone hoping to work in the Physiology arena, is that the Winter Olympics are coming to Whistler, BC and that might mean a good shot at future employment (?). That is about an hour and a half (don't quote me on that) north of Vancouver. I think the TV show "Men in Trees" is filmed around there, on the coast. Speaking of movies, Mystery, Alaska was filmed up North, west of Edmonton. Edmonton is always hosting big Athletic Events like World Championships, etc. and you can get a glimpse of the countryside in those areas. Also, there was a movie called "Insomnia" that was filmed up near Stewart, BC. (very small town near the southernmost tip of Alaska and the town of Hyder) Best of Luck! I miss that area something fierce. You'll love it.
  20. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    The hottest place for work in Canada right now is Fort McMurray Alberta. There is about $50 Billion in projects going on here in McMuray, it is crazy. There are lots of South Africans here to be sure. The weather is a bit colder than Calgary or Edmonton but not that bad. The biggest problem is getting a place to live that you can afford. There are cheap options like less than $75,000 for a home but the lot rent could be $800/month on top of that. McMurray, Alberta is a great place to make a few $$ and have a decent quality of life. It isn't too hard to leave here in a few years with a bit of money.

If your careful with the $$ you could leave here with a lot of money, lots of folks before you have done just that.

One problem you have is no trade, as far as I can tell. Your Misses seems to have lots of paper so maybe get married, that will help you get in. She could also, as part of the package get you a job. This happens all the time.

One thing that we all know, you don't, is that B.C means Bring Cash. If you want to live in British Columbia you need lots of cash. Alberta is thick with work right now. There are help wanted sighs everywhere, in every town. It is crazy. People quit jobs and get a new one right away.

Check out Fort McMurray or the Regional Municipalilty of Wood Buffalo. Some of the big employers are www.syncrude.com www.suncor.com www.cnrl.com www.longlake.ca there are a half dozen others plus dozens of contractors supplying workers to these companies.

If you come to McMurray you will not be sorry in terms of work. The riding is not as great as Southern BC but there is lots of work here. You can always move elsewhere after you get in the country.