Considering Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by HappyGoLucky, Nov 8, 2006.

1. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Gentleman..........( I assume the latest respondents are gentlemen)

I am blown away....... thank you for these phenomenal responses. I will check out every website, every piece of advice and get back to you with responses.

Just as a feedback, we responded to the one monster job that a gent posted earlier on.

Hilde was told that she needs to become a member of the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapists which will take 6 months minimum, to a year.

That sort of puts up back a bit :cry:cry:cry

I will check out these other leads and sites soonest and give you some more feedback. Really, thank you, its an awesome thing to receive the help we are here.

Like they say here - Baie Baie Dankie!!!!!

Cheers, George and Hilde
  2. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

I'm originally from Durban - left about 10yrs ago; lived in London UK before moving to Canada. Lived in Toronto for a year & then decided to move to Vancouver. As everyone else has already stated, you can't beat it if you love the outdoors. I live & work in Vancouver and don't imagine living anywhere else.

I've been through the process's that your refer to; so if you need any help, email me on [email protected]

I'm in the Spa biz. and hire foreigners all the time; so very familiar with labour law and work regs. Let me know if you need specifics.
    BB
  3. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    So I emailed you mate, with no response (Black Beast)

Just as an update: thank you to the fine folk who assisted me in this quest - turns out that Hilde decided to announce a surprise:

that she wishes to work in a tiny village near Lesotho (mountain kingdom in middle of ZA - its a country), for next year doing government community service.

This puts our plans on ice - so to speak - for another year. It does, however, allow her to write all the necessary examinations to join the Canadian (and NZealand) board of physios and so thats a good thing.

This thread will in the meantime shift slowly backwards again until theres an update.

Unless someone wants to hire a good South African!!! :D

Cheers everyone, I will keep checking in often.

Peace, George
  4. SPEEDSMITH

SPEEDSMITH Sh!t Disturber

Oddometer:
    Good luck George, whatever you decide.
    Have patience, it's a long drawn out process at best.
    It took about 2 years for my family to be approved.
  5. Yukoner

Yukoner Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    With your partner having a medical career I wouldn't think that there would be any problem getting Landed Immigrant status. It just takes time to get the immigration and professional paperwork lined up. The year project that you have planned is probably perfect timing. As mentioned getting married (if you aren't already) makes sense.
    There are lots of jobs in the west so once the paperwork is lined up the next thing is finding a place that you would like to live. I would suggest a short touring vacation. If you are willing to work in a smaller town it may speed you immigration application as that is where the biggest medical shortages are.
  6. Bern

Bern Is it hot in here?

Oddometer:
    Ahmen brother:D
  7. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chaps for the answers, good wisdom there, and yes, we/I will come for a touring holiday first to determine which place might be best for us.

Canada is huge! :eek1 :wink:

Thanks once again, theres a lot to do.... GodSpeed to you all.
  8. blitzkreig

blitzkreig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fort Mac is awesome. Yes.

Calgary is opportunity heaven. Yes.

Anywhere in Alberta is guaranteed success story really ... if you can fog a mirror you are hired for a well paying job. If you have big equipment experience (and I mean really big) you can make more than a doctor in some regions ...

But aside from all that ... these mountains are "God's country". The roads through central B.C. only an hour or so from here are awesome ... And there is a freedom here ... that just doesn't really exist anywhere else.

9. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
    It's true. But don't tell our American friends. They still think they've got the best deal going, and they'll get sore! :D :D:pot:D :D
  10. Sun Tzu

Sun Tzu Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    I would love to move BACK to Canada...if I could only find a decent paying job. :cry:cry

-sun tzu
  11. blitzkreig

blitzkreig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind a tough time looking for a place to live ... you can get any kind of job you want ... with any kind of reasonable qualifications.

If you are at all interested check it out. Businesses are desperate for workers.

Big money is up at Ft. Mac. ... Work for a few months ... get a few off in some places. If you can drive a REALLY BIG TRUCK you can make the wages you would normally associate with professional with a couple degrees and a job in an office tower ...

But hey ... don't take my word for it ... call any of the dozens of professional recruiters the companies have had to bring in ...

12. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's all happening on the west coast. The east coast is gone.
    Ciao, Steve
  13. Sun Tzu

Oddometer:
    I heard. My inlaws just moved to Saskatoon, and I was shocked to learn that people commute to Ft. Mac from S'toon.

I should check it out, but I don't drive big trucks.

-sun
  14. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My buddy supplies the oil industry, h.d. refrigeration. He's up there quite often. He said Tim Hortons is hiring, start you at $20hr, plus signing bonus, plus free education, etc, etc. Big Time Boom.
    Ciao, Steve
  15. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Guys, thanks for reviving the thread...

I have some heavy duty driving experience. What does one need?

Best was driving a 32ton Cat with all the tracks underneath water, trying to extract it from a dam.....:eek1

I am quite interested.... if someone knows someone, would they be kind enough to provide a link? Or should I just google?

mmmm me is getting more and more keen.

love the visuals i get in my mind when the mountains are described as Gods own...:clap
  16. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, your right. I think he did mention it.
    I wish I'd bought a bunch of houses up there before the boom. Oh well.

As for driving experience, or experience operating big equipement, the sky's the limit pretty well anywhere. Name your price up north that's for sure.
    Ciao, Steve
  17. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And it all depends on how much you like snow!!
    BB
  18. Sun Tzu

Oddometer:
    I'd kill for some snow right now.

-sun
  19. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    The best thing to do is come for a visit and go from there. I had friends from the UK and Japan trying to make the same decision. After a summer here they were set to move here for good. Yes the winters can be a challenge but I'm a farm boy from Jamaica and I live in Ottawa. If I don't have an issue with it I can't imagine you would. :lol3

If you do make it here for a visit, drop me a line and I'll make sure you see the highlights of the country.

Dale
  20. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dale, I have always followed your posts, and have great respect for you replies and thinking.

I will make sure to contact you, I never knew you were in Canada!

Take care, George