Considering Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by HappyGoLucky, Nov 8, 2006.

1. blitzkreig

blitzkreig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  2. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:

I got in such shit for posting that picture on another forum! Some vegan lost it! I personally think it's great.

Come to think of it, I think I took that picture?? I remember the
    power lines pissed me off.
  3. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Start job searching at www.monster.com

That'll be a good start for what's out there by region.
  4. Alec Logan

Alec Logan Alec

Oddometer:
    Based on your varied criteria, I recommend Nelson, in the interior of British Columbia. Nice town, close to trails, nicely wooded, affluent, centre of things - so to speak.
    Hope you make it!
  5. mhouck

mhouck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi George,

Check out Canmore or Banff.
    I live in Canmore and after living in every major city in Western Canada, I have found my home.
    It's smack in the Rocky Mountains, one hour from Calgary, a bustling oiltown of just over 1 million.

Canmore is around 13,000 I believe and growing and being developed at a good clip. (some would say too fast a clip....)

Adventure is at the doorstep here! Climbing, Mountain Biking, Ski touring, Downhill Skiing, Hiking, Camping and trails everywhere. ( I am not an expert on the D/S trails as I just got my bike last summer and am only getting to know the trails)

Scenery is breathtaking and I know more than one couple who have moved here after having only visited once.

The town was basically "discovered" by the world during the 1988 Winter Olympics and the population is made up of folk from every corner of the globe.

We are only 20 kms from Banff, which you may have read or heard about.

Sure it gets cold during the winter months, however just wait for a Chinook wind and voila, it's warm and dry again in a day! Oh ya, and it's a 10 hour cruise to Vancouver for your "west coast" fix, which I do often as my wife is from Vancouver island.

Check out

http://www.canmore.ca/
    http://www.banff.ca/

Merry Christmas and have fun with the hunt!
    Best of luck

Murray
  6. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Alec, Murray, and Drif10, thanks a lot guys... this is sweet stuff.

So much to consider!!!! (does anyone know anyone in Canada with a Border Colley type dog? My neighbour was going to kill theirs due to divorce, and I couldnt let that happen, so now shes with me, and just made the move that much more expensive :cry:rofl)

[​IMG]
  7. bluenoser

bluenoser I'z da by that gets da UI

Oddometer:
  8. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry no border collie, we've got a standard poodle and a couple weird cats...

I will just chime in with my vote for the Okanagon Valley when you do move to Canada. I've lived in every province except Quebec and New Brunswick, spent 4 years on Vancouver Island and the last 20+ years working in Alberta, currently Edmonton. My wife and I just bought property in Osoyoos, BC and are planning to move there in the next couple years. Canada's only arid desert. We are excited about moving and looking forward to less winter. They still get snow where our property is, we're about 4,000 ft up a mountain, but it only lasts for a few months, not 5-6 months like in Edmonton. 3-4 hours from Vancouver to take in a show on a weekend, 1/2 hour from Penticton (any store you will need), 2 1/2 hours from Kelowna. Minutes from the border to the US.

We have been looking for the past few years for somewhere to semi-retire and having lived all over the country I can't think of a better place than the Okanagon (obviously).

Go to the weathernetwork.com, enter the city you're interested in and they have a link on the side "Statistics", that shows the number of days of rain, sunshine, etc a year. Lots of good stats that give you a bit of an idea of climate.
    http://www.weathernetwork.com/weather/stats/pages/C02093.htm?CABC0210
  9. C8X

C8X pixel farmer

Oddometer:
    I used to live in Summerland, BC (Okanagan Valley). Quite a few people raise sheep there, lots of border collies everywhere you look, definitely the most popular dog in that area. My friend had one but she was old and tired and just passed away this year. If you need some info, maybe these guys could help: http://www.keen-eye.com/

In case you haven't seen enough, some photos from all over BC, I miss it a lot!
    Kootenays, somewhere not too far from Neslon, BC.
    Juan de Fuca hiking trail, near Port Renfrew, BC on the outer coast of Vancouver Island.
    Callaghan Lake area, near Whistler, BC. and Another from the same area, different year. (2010 olympic x-country ski tracks will be near this spot)
    Pitt Lake, Pitt Meadows, BC (about 1hr from downtown Vancouver)
    Near Apex ski resort, Penticton/Castlegar BC. and another from the same trip
    Backwoods of Summerland, BC, looking back towards the main valley.

I have friends moving back to Summerland and Kelowna, BC. I've started thinking that I might end up there myself in a year or two.
  10. jrez

jrez 2 strokes forever!

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Just wanted to add to the topic of moving to Canada, particularly the Okanagan.
    I've been a resident, on and off, here for more than 30 years, and mostly its been great.
    The last few years have seen a definite step down in quality of life due to the sheer masses of people moving here, mostly from out of province.
    This has resulted in skyrocketing real estate prices, traffic jams, increased homelessnes/poverty, and "development" swallowing up the surrounding valley bottom landscape.
    Im looking to move away, as everyday it reminds me more and more of big city life I've experienced in Calgary and Vancouver. Not as bad yet, but going that way quickly.
    This also carries over to the outdoor aspect as the lakes in the summer are usually packed with boats(don't even ask about boat launches!!), full campgrounds, lineups at ski hills, etc.
    Decent entry level house's will run you in the high 300,000 range and up depending where exactly you look, with Kelowna being the most expensive.
    If it sounds like Im complaining, I am. What made this area so desirable in the past is disappearing, but I guess people are accustomed to worse elsewhere because there seems to be no end to the influx of people in sight. Im scared to see what the area will be like in 10 years if the last 3 years are any indication.
    Personally, I'd recommend the Cranbrook area in the southeastern corner of BC.
    Scenery is unbelievable(at the base of the rocky mountains with several lakes/rivers/streams nearby), not alot of people there(compared to Okanagan), amazing opportunity for riding(on/off road)or anything outdoors, 1/2 dozen ski hills within 2 hours driving, airport(runway being extended to accept direct international flights), several hot springs close by, all the big stores in town, not quite 4 hours to Calgary driving(through absolutely amazing scenery), and comparitively cheap real estate. I really did'nt want to leave, and yeah, that's where Im thinking of moving to again.
    Work is, like the rest of BC right now, plentiful, with CP Rail having a major operation there, and constantly hiring. They pay very well once you complete the training. I did work for them briefly before returning to aircraft maintenance. All in all, I think it's a better choice of location and I'd definately recommend stopping in for a look.
    I'm thinking that if your spouse's credentials carryover to here, you will have several options, as her skillset will be in demand.
    In any event, do the research on whatever area you decide on, and keep an open mind.
    Everything is not perfect overhere ,regardless of how pretty people tell you it is, and putting the time in researching the details will pay you dividends in piece of mind when/if you do come over.
  11. bross

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with you on this. I spent 4 years on Vancouver Island, the Comox Valley from 1976-79 when Dad retired there. We used to spend all our summers there previously. It was an awesome place to be in your teens, fishing for salmon in the chuck and steelhead in the rivers. I was a total ski bum in the winter and pretty much lived on the mountain. It was even busy back then getting across the river to downtown via the one bridge but I'm talking 10-12 cars busy and yet we still complained. Now I don't even enjoy going back to see Mom much anymore because of all the reasons you stated, it's NOT a nice place to live anymore. Way overcrowded and any "charm" the valley used to have was bulldozed years ago.

It sucks, but unfortunately is happening everywhere. I work in Edmonton but live in Stony Plain a small town 20 minutes west. Moved there 7 years ago and it was a nice small town. We bought our house right on the edge of the town / county boundary and had almost a kilometer of woods, ponds etc between us and "town". Well in the last two years we have been totally surrounded by homes, condos, and apartments. There just doesn't seem to be any way to get away from it unless you move over an hour or more away from ANY major center.

As you probably read in my previous post, I'm one of the out of province'rs moving in, sorry about that. We bought an acreage surrounded by conservation area so hopefully we won't have to experience the explosive growth that ruins so many nice places to live. We tried to get as far away from Kelowna as possible, the US border is only 100 metres from our property, so now I guess we'll just have to hope the US doesn't move in and take over! :evil
  12. jrez

jrez 2 strokes forever!

Oddometer:
    The same is due to happen on the wooded hillside behind my place in the next year. That's the main reason for me being more serious about leaving.

Your experience on the island sounds exactly like what Im going through, but no need to apologize for moving into BC. Sounds like you've picked a great spot.

My disatisfaction is that the growth has so explosive, which I believe could've been controlled(new construction)or gone about better to preserve the atmosphere of the area. But oh well, little too late now. There's actually rush hour now, and I rarely bother to go downtown at those times. Gridlock.

Cranbrook was starting to slowly go up in price/population also, but nothing like the Okanagan. Although Invermere/Fairmont(lakefront/hot springs/ski hill/golfing, etc), just north, are very pricey. Westward in the Kootenays towards Nelson one can still get beautiful properties for very reasonable. They're just more removed from the mainstream. Very pretty area also.

Cheers' all
  13. bross

Oddometer:
    It's all about the $$$$$$$, developers with money move in and the local govt's will do anything to accomodate. I've seen land rezoned from single family dwelling to high density to allow apartments. It' pure and simple greed at all levels,
  14. mhouck

mhouck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking Dog! Great breed and Smart these little buggers. Have a few friends with them and they are oh so loyal. Good on you for giving it a good home!

I see there are a few comments about the Okanagan area and I would have to agree after. I lived there 3 1/2 years and the traffic was what drove me out. Not a big place but developers did not exactly think things through with the roadways, etc. Summer is beautiful, but traffic is UNREAL....
    That was what brought me to Canmore, although I must say, swimming in the Quarry is not quite the Okanagan lake...

FYI, my wife worked in the largest Physio clinic in Kelowna and knows the owners very well. Could get you some info if you would like it. She could also get you contacts in Whistler as well if you would like.

Good Luck
    Murray
  15. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Murray, and other gentlemen - you make me want to rate my own thread 5 stars with the incredible information offered here. Its the first hand living stuff that is literally priceless, and I recognise it. Thank you so much and please - send me as much as you can in the thread, cos that helps me learn the ins and outs of the place.

Top Class stuff!!!! Now, if you want info on SAfrica, I can pretty much offer something similar.. Thanks for the awesome info here:clap
  16. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    "I am quite interested.... if someone knows someone, would they be kind enough to provide a link? Or should I just google?

mmmm me is getting more and more keen."

I live in McMurray, it isn't near as expensive as you have been told but it can be expensive. You will not earn near as much as your told also. I think the starting rate for driving truck is about $30/hr or so, working up to about $40 or so in a few years plus there are shift differentials etc. This is a tough job as you have to keep the beast rolling for a 12 hour night shift with just the normal breaks. You can't stop for a few minites to clear your head or what ever. Here are a few links to jobs:

www.suncor.com
    http://www.syncrude.ca/users/folder.asp
    http://www.albiansands.com/
    http://www.cnrl.com/ may be a few months in the future, brand new place
    http://www.nexeninc.com/Operations/Athabasca_Oil_Sands/overview.asp also a brand new place
    http://opticanada.com/investors/news/index.php?date=archive&news_id=8 this is the refinery for nexen, above
    http://www.mls.ca/map.aspx?AreaID=6419 this the local realestate for sale
    http://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com/ this is the local newspaper

This is not motor cycle heaven by a long shot. Summers are shorter than some other places and there are big bugs. There are lots of bikes here to be sure though. Truth be told there are lots of jobs anywhere north of Calgary and all are well paid. The City of Calgary is not a cheap place to live. Money is a little better in the north. For example my employer just came out with a plan to retain employees, here are the basics: If your still here next November a bonus of $8400, Still here Nov 2008 a bonus of $16, 800, Still here July 2010 a bonus of $29,400, there is already a bonus of around $29,400 to be paid out Nov 2007 based on share price. This works out to a bonus of $1400 a month if you don't quit. This is inaddition to about $125,000 a year normal pay. Turnouver is around 40% I think and they cannot hire qualified people.
  17. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    THE EAST COAST IS GONE???? Who are you trying to kid! We have a shortage of workers in just about every field unskilled to skilled, housing is still very reasonable everywhere outside Halifax and down here in the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia the climate is very nice, warm summers and cool winters(just enough for winter sports). I moved down here from Ontario about 10 yrs ago and find the people absolutely fabulous, easy going and really friendly. The only problem with this place is I find a lot of the people drive too slowly. Come on down here and have a look, this has become my home and I wouldn't live anywhere else now.
  18. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
    Liveintheoutdoors, you should watch this as preparation for becoming a Canadian.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iyCEJOGMVjk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iyCEJOGMVjk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

and this...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8juSqKZ6u_Y"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8juSqKZ6u_Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

and if you're thinking about moving to the culturally distinct region of Quebec...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2mSJj3sMW0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2mSJj3sMW0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
  19. C8X

C8X pixel farmer

Oddometer:
  20. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Excellent - thanks mate for the links to jobs... I am investigating

The vids were great:D.. thanks

And the statistics interesting... hmmm:uhhuh