Considering Converting a Honda CR125R to Enduro / Dual Sport

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Glenn247, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Need some advice, Gentlemen...

I'm considering picking up a 2000 Honda CR125R in good shape for about $2k, and then investing about another $1k on a IMS 3.7 gallon tank, heavier flywheel weight, side stand, headlight & taillight w/ small lithium battery, and a few other things to make it capable of cruising the back roads and dirt roads to connect trails...

Not concerned w/ plating it as that will happen through Vermont or South Dakota if necessary, or some other method...

I'd really like to hear thoughts from this group because I'm a 2-stroke novice...

I'm looking for a lightweight, 2-stroke, reliable enduro / dual sport, and I'm a Honda loyalist and would rather not throw down heavy coin for a Euro offering...

Should I do it, and if so, any tips on how it should be done?

Here's the bike I'm considering btw:

2000 Honda CR125R.jpg
  2. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Add rad guards, skidplate, and a suspension re-valve and you're good to go.

If you're really feelin' it, an 18" rear too.
    bark sampler likes this.
  3. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One more thing:

Has some good points.

I have a 2000 CR250 I'm thinking of doing this too, already have the tank and flywheel weight.
    Glenn247 likes this.
  4. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    @dave0 Which tank did you go with? IMS or Clarke?

I can't watch that video at the moment but will as soon as I can...in the meantime, can you give me a quick summary or a few of the points?
  5. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure of the tank, but it's the clear one where you can see the gas inside. It's 3 gallon.

Basic summary is by the time you get the bike set up, for the cost you can get a turn key enduro/dual sport.

But where's the fun in that?
    Glenn247 likes this.
  6. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    I was surprised IMS makes a 3.7 gallon for the CR125R...the tank made by Clarke is not as large, around 3 I believe...

Tracking all on the costs needed to make it happen...I'm looking at around $3k total for cost of bike and mods needed to convert it...and for a couple more thousand I could get another spanking New GPX TSE 250 which is turn-key...

The inexplicable "fun factor" as you call it is the only motivation to disregard the otherwise sound logic likely presented in that video...
  7. snarlyjohn

snarlyjohn Human money repellant

Oddometer:
    With regard to the fact that it might well make more sense to buy a bike ready to go.

For a lot of us, building the bike is just as big a part of the enjoyment of motorcycling as riding. So while our projects rarely make logical or financial sense, if our intention is to enjoy the challenges of building something - even if the end result is something readily available at a good price - then why not just do it and enjoy it.
  8. JKady

JKady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    True, some of us are just plain driven to tinker. Do you know anyone who rides a bone stock bike? I don't. Regardless of the brand and model there are almost always things you'll change to suit where and how you ride. At very least bars/grips and tires are almost always swapped out right away.
  9. snarlyjohn

snarlyjohn Human money repellant

Oddometer:
    Some poor souls have it so bad they start making their own crankshafts etc.....
  10. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    I'm still deliberating on this project...

Waiting to hear back from a few parts providers to see if certain items are available and how much they will cost me...

The plan would be to put the IMS 3.7 gallon tank, Kickstand from somewhere (any ideas?), IMS Disk Fin, '05-07 CR125 Air Boot, Heavier FlyWheel Weight, and cheap Fleabay LED headlight and taillight w/ small RC car battery for power switched up to be turned on only when needed...

Any thoughts, tips, ideas? I'm all ears :ear

:*sip*
  11. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ears? Maybe a spark arrestor, perhaps a pipe guard. It’s a 125 MXer so may want to grab a piston and rings unless they just did it. Knowing that’s fresh and the power valve clean makes tuning much easier as you modify things.

Was the previous owner similar weight? Or ideally 20 lbs less if used for MX. What’s been changed for springs or shock internals, snd what is it set up for? I’d budget for an oil change maybe a re-valve on the rear shock unless fully known.

I agree on the comments of a fun project but there are certainly more practical start points. I like 125’s but they aren’t much fun for cruising around. Rippin’ around is another story!
    dave0 and Glenn247 like this.
  12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    144 cylinder ported for woods. Vibes from that aluminum frame might get interesting in a few hours.

light weight good power should be awesome.
    Glenn247 likes this.
  13. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Far be it from me to throw cold water on a cool project but I'd also take resale value into consideration. Will it be worth close to what you have in it or will be worth more like what you paid for the bike pre-mod?
    Glenn247 likes this.
  14. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Might wanna try riding a 125 2 stroke a little out in the open. They have real close ratio gears,can be in 6th by the end of the driveway.
    Piston life is about as short as it gets. 10 or 15 hours and its easy to pop a new piston in. No bottom end power,nor are they supposed to have any.

They are light no doubt,Ive thought of getting a 150 XCW KTM. Gotta keep it revved pretty high to go anywhere,might get old.
    Glenn247 likes this.
  15. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Sorry to be that guy.

As a 2T novice, it might not be a bad idea to see if you get a test ride from other guys who have 125mx bikes.

For 2-3K you could find a nice KTM woods bike 2T. The older ones have open titles, so pretty easy to tag in most states.
    Glenn247 likes this.
  16. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    That guy is needed every now and then...thanks for the input...

I must admit I have abandoned the idea of modifying an old Honda CR125 for dual sport use...

I will rely on my GPX TSE 250 and potentially purchase a second one as the motor is ideal for dual sport riding...same motor from a circa 1990s Yamaha dual sport bike...
  17. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I only hear good things about the TSE 250. Wise choice!
    Glenn247 likes this.
  18. Glenn247

Oddometer:
    Long Live Two Smokes, Forever and Ever, Amen...
    Foot dragger, greasyfatman and Bucho like this.
  19. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 degree timing change, heavy fat back tire. Nets some woods riding gains. Significant change to yz125 is a 144 kit and a gnarly pipe, then a fly wheel weight. Port timing on some of the CRs is wild.

Duel sport may not be great, but street legal dirt bike could be cool.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  20. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    "could be cool" is the key thing. Ive been turning various bikes into dualsports since back when you could plate anything you wanted to plate. And I raced 125's for a good while.
    If you live right near a great trail head then a plated 125 could be neat. Typical 125 2 stroke is just about strung out trying to go 50mph for any length of time.
    Its tricky,if you ride a dirtbike any distance to get to singletrack,then you dont have enough gas to ride trail very far,and also get home. Ive tried this .

Ive had at least 5 KTM 200's,they are a great size for a trailbike,for me. Ive had newer ones,but I like the more vintage models better.
    The older ones have a mellower tune,rev less,pull better off the bottom. And still can really haul ass. I have a 2001 200 that I found recently with low hours.
    It already had the suspension firmed up and redone,had a good reed assembly put in,and a gnarly pipe.
    I put a Stealey flywheel on the last 2000 200 EXC I had back in 2000. And it worked well that way.

Rear suspension needs work on these older KTM's for sure.

It will get Tubliss and a Dunlop 803 Trials tire on the back,huge granite climbs around here,Trials tire is like cheating.
    enduro16 and greasyfatman like this.