Considering converting my existing stable into cash... to buy a Ural.

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by rat, Nov 20, 2020.

1. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    Talk me into, or out of it? It'd be a Gear-up, or Patrol... used, of course. Can't justify new Ural prices, personally.

I'd probably keep my Honda 90s, and my 72 CB350, but sell my Guzzi, and my CB750s. It wouldn't get me all the way there, but it'd get me close. Within spitting distance, anyways.

Why? I live rurally, surrounded by fireroads and cutlines, hunting trails, and more, all begging to be explored... and I'd love nothing more than to be able to bring my Little Guy with me, fishing, hunting, just camping and hanging out. Winter riding definitely appeals to me, with winter commuting holding particular appeal.

Basically, what it boils down to, is that I've been daydreaming about a Ural for well over a decade, and having a son has just sorta... intensified it. But I need someone to slap me upside the head with reality, if need be. Or not.
  2. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    go for it!
    Amigo, Decimus and brstar like this.
  3. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking the same thing. I can either continue with a nascent VStrom/homebuilt sidecar project or liquidate and buy a Ural. I waffle day-to-day, depending upon frustration and alcohol levels.
    PeterTrocewicz, brstar and rat like this.
  4. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do it
  5. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only thing I'd suggest is that you also consider a 1WD version, particularly the cT

Don't get me wrong, 2WD definitely has its advantages in specific situations, but mostly you don't need it, and the sidecar wheel lead on the 2wd ones makes it less stable on the road. Most of the time, the 1wd is more fun to drive, and it does fine on fire roads and 2-track
  6. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Do it. Based on that bit you and he will both have a bajillion smiley memories as a result.
    Rakthi likes this.
  7. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    I'm largely concerned with our local conditions, TBH. Maybe "fire road" is a bit generous... some of the routes I have in mind are ATV-quality, there's no getting a truck or jeep down 'em. And winter can be... intense. My local grid roads range from "pretty good when dry" to ... "Well, it rained while I was at work, and it's now 8" deep sucking mud to get home".

Perhaps I expect too much of a Ural, too... not having owned one.
    phughes likes this.
  8. fpalbrecht

fpalbrecht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My "little guy" is 31. Do it. It's only stuff. He will be grown up before you know it.
  9. RockyMtnRoadRash

RockyMtnRoadRash Useful and decorative

Oddometer:
    Do it. The Ural's a totally capable replacement for a small car for local trips.
    phughes likes this.
  10. Bar None

Bar None OLD DUDE Supporter

Oddometer:
    rat,
    Sounds like you need 2WD. I had it on my first Ural and never needed or used it but I don't do mud or snow. My second Ural was a cT and now I am waiting for my third Ural which will be a 2021 cT.
    Get one and either you will love it or hate it but you gotta get one to find out.
    Rakthi and brstar like this.
  11. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, now I'm seeing that you're in "the great white north". Being from California, I've only seen snow in pictures and movies. The videos of Urals in the snow definitely look fun, and a good reason for 2wd
  12. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    The used market up is here is scarce, too.

What I do see are usually 2014-15-ish examples, low km.

For those in the know... how old it too old? In terms of "where am I going to meet the spot on the graph between "good value" and "headaches begin"? I know they've been making constant upgrades, year after year... but I haven't been staying on top of what's been done.
  13. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Urals are geared way too tall for any kind of technical terrain. You’ll be flogging the clutch trying to pick your way along trails. The two wheel drive works really well for graded dirt roads or snow. There is no way a 2wd Ural can even come close to an ATV once you get off the graded stuff.

But I say go for buying a used Ural as they tend to hold their resale value really well. Try it and see if sidecars are something you will actually get along with and then sell it and buy a used dual sport style rig like a Suzuki DR or similar.
    High Octane and brstar like this.
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I agree with Strong Bad. If a Jeep can't handle the route, a Ural sure isn't going to. If those are really the kinds of routes you want to take with your son, a 4x4 with big nasty tires would be better able to get you where you want to go.

nasty.jpg
    sokota, High Octane and brstar like this.
  15. Kruzof

Kruzof peasant

Oddometer:
    ...and snow!
    upload_2020-11-20_10-30-32.png
    JustKip likes this.
  16. phughes

phughes Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buy the newest one you can afford. That being said, 2014 and up give you fuel injection, which is nice. I would try to stay away from the 2014 though, since they were known to have some problems. If you want the latest greatest, get a 2019 or newer. They truly are much more refined, better fuel injection, better cylinders, heads and pistons.

Sometimes more KMs is better than very few, since most likely any initial problems have been discovered and addressed.

I bought a used 2014 Gear Up this year though, and do love it, though I did have a broken lifter which damaged the cam. They changed the lifters later because of this issue. It still ran well though. I started hearing a noise though as the cam wore more. I tore it down and have it fixed now and it's ready to be put back in the bike.

Despite the issue, this has been my favorite of all the bikes i have owned. It really replaced my car. I rarely drove my car for anything after buying it, and I will be using it as soon as it gets back on the road, despite the fact winter is on its way.

As for 2WD, yeah, most people don't need it, but I wanted it. I do treat it like 4WD though. It isn't smart to drive a truck in 4WD and charge into anything. Once you're stuck in 4WD you have no options but a tow or a winch. Better to run in 2WD in a truck until you start to lose traction, then use 4WD to get out. I will say though, that on a trail, the Ural drove nicer in 2WD, and smoothed things out.

Here is a good summary of the changes over the years: http://www.crawfordsales.info/?page_id=54

Also go to sovietsteeds.com and look around there. Great people there, and lots of great advice and information.

Do it.
    brstar and rat like this.
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been riding a Ural for 14 years as my only transportation, they're fantastic as a car replacement. Off pavement they're a utility vehicle suitable for primitive road conditions, they're not a replacement for a Jeep, or ATV. 2wd can be a serious advantage in snow, and other limited traction conditions, but doesn't really increase it's off pavement abilities.

2019 was a game changer, with meaningful improvements in every way that totally justify the extra cost. Their function and reliability is great out of the box, without needing anything more than scheduled maintenance.

If choosing a pre 2019 EFI Ural, the 2017-2018 are the best, having a lot of improvements in the quality of materials and components over previous years.
    phughes, Strong Bad and rat like this.
  18. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd add that even though I a proponent of 2wd, having one of each, I'd recommend a 1wd 2019 over a 2017-2018 2wd because they're probably going to be fairly close in price.
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another thing I forget to mention, any 2014-2018 Ural can be upgraded to the 2019 specs with a Gen2 Keihin EFI kit for around $2k plus labor, and the engine upgraded to 2019 specs for another $2.5k plus labor.

The EFI kit alone will provide 100% of a 2019s additional HP, torque, economy, and rideability.
    The engine upgrades improve sustained high speed, and long term durability.
  20. Rakthi

Rakthi meanwhile,

Oddometer:
    Do it! Sold my HD and "reinvested" the proceeds (and some extra funds) into a Ranger (EU Gear up) ... No, don't need the 2wd but with the wheel a tad more forward on the CT it covers part of the access to the sidecar and my better half, who has bad knees, had a hard time getting in and out. Anyway by the time you added the spare wheel to the CT the price difference with the Ranger is not that big.

Looked for a long time for a recent 2nd hand one, but here, within reasonable distance nothing available, so ordered new ... of course one month later a nice 2019 came on the market. Was snapped up in no time too.

Sure is a different experience compared to a 2 wheel bike. Still getting used to it. Also found I lost a lot of muscle tone in my shoulders after the operations.
    Bar None and phughes like this.