Considering converting my existing stable into cash... to buy a Ural.

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by rat, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Bar None

Bar None OLD DUDE Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^
    I think you answered his question.
    "Urals are geared way too tall for any kind of technical terrain. You’ll be flogging the clutch trying to pick your way along trails. The two wheel drive works really well for graded dirt roads or snow. There is no way a 2wd Ural can even come close to an ATV once you get off the graded stuff."
    However both my previously owned Urals spent a lot of time on rough dirt/gravel roads and did just fine.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    "a lot of time on rough dirt/gravel and did just fine" is getting close but still falls way short of "ATV-quality, there's no getting a truck or jeep down 'em". Why are your guys taking about seats, racks, and showing off new rigs that have yet to get out in the dirt and not replying to the question? How many times did you turn around because the route was not conducive to a 2wd Ural? I think he would much rather see what you wouldn't do with your rigs rather than where it's parked at Starbucks.
    Bobmws likes this.
  3. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're not mutually exclusive, and it seems that point was covered pretty early on that a Ural isn't a replacement for a Jeep or ATV.

A Ural probably is better than the average sidecar rig for more technical conditions, but that can come with a price, and they're certainly not the only or best possible choice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rat, Bobmws, Geno89074 and 6 others like this.
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW
    Winter riding and commuting.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    GotDammitDave, rat, Bobmws and 8 others like this.
  5. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    This is more of what I'm talking about! Great to see Mr. Cob's rig, a highly modified rig with a lot of help from the importer. But that is more is useful to establish usability technical terrain. Pics of Urals on snowy roads not so much.

Aren't there already thousands of threads where Uralistas share their generic love of their rigs without dragging this one down too?
    Bobmws likes this.
  6. bete

bete misguided adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some of the testing videos from the mother land certainly fall into the rough off road category, I wouldn't want to try it personally but I'm impressed with what they do. Of course testing is different than owning, they don't have to pay for repairs.
    Rakthi, Strong Bad and phughes like this.
  7. phughes

phughes Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have that rack. It is simply amazing. It is very heavy duty and well made. I put it on after installing the Russell Day Long solo seat. Great seat by the way. Raceway had it made using the CT 2/3 seat base. I am able to ride tank to tank with absolutely zero discomfort. Sadly though, it will cost me. I want one for my Concours now. I will be getting one made at some point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MGV8, TurTal and Bar None like this.
  8. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was riding my mostly stock Ural with Dave when I took those pictures of him.
    Just addressing the OP's specific desires.

Snow covered roads can have challenges too, that Urals are equipped to handle particularly well.
    [​IMG]
    Rakthi and phughes like this.
  9. phughes

phughes Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not me, though I have had mine off road in Pennsylvania, fire roads and the like.

10. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    We call those Mexican freeways! A big one wheel drive GSA rig will do that stuff at speed.
    JustKip and DRONE like this.
  11. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Depends how technical somebody really wants to get. I prefer to stick to gravel roads, and even a 1 wheel drive with good tires works fine for that.

Fuzzball, Bobmws, JustKip and 2 others like this.
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    @rat watch this vid--this is about as much as a Ural can do. Note that these two rigs are completely unloaded (no passenger and no luggage) and the factory-sponsored drivers are athletic and experienced. If the routes you want to take with your son are this tough, be a good idea to carry a sat phone. :-)
    Bobmws and Bar None like this.
  13. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think its safe to say a sidecars configuration imposes some limitations across the board. A 2wd Ural will have an edge in low traction conditions that reduce needed skill, and effort to deal with, but there isn't going to be a big difference in what they're ultimately capable of compared to 1wd sidecars for a given amount of ground clearance. Having reverse is another edge Urals have making it possible to back out of trouble under power before getting in too deep, and easier to turn around on narrow roads when one wants to bail out.
    Rakthi, Strong Bad, phughes and 3 others like this.
  14. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    And, I will add, a SxS UTV will do it better, with much better chances of making it back to the trailhead in one piece. OTOH, the Ural can be driven there from the house. Which one is more fun is strictly a matter of opinion.
    Bar None and brstar like this.
  15. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    The buck stops here, the Russian Sherpa.
    Rakthi, DRONE and brstar like this.
  16. Bar None

Bar None OLD DUDE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where is your video of your ride on the Mexican freeway?
  17. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    A "Mexican Freeway" is any place you can go with no worries of beating the shit out of your rig.. Sorry, but I don't have one of those fancy GoPro video cameras. If you can be in 3rd or 4th gear, it's a flocking freeway.

For example, yesterday's Baja 1000 as shot by a local is at a section we would call a "Mexican Freeway": Pick up at 3 min to get the idea.

It's all a matter of perspective.
  18. CVAN

CVAN Polite as Fuck

Oddometer:
    I wanted to put this in a PM to @TurTal, but I can't seem to figure out how to put pics in a PM. So please excuse my temporary hi-jack.

upload_2020-11-22_20-34-10.jpeg

I would love to steal this idea as I have the same speaker. Who makes / where did you get the mounts?
    rat, TurTal and brstar like this.
  19. Geno89074

Geno89074 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sir TUR TAL...
    I am totally DIGGING that Camo=ed out Just Bass and Loud Speaker!!!

Getting sick of the puny speakers in my sena equipped modular helmet ghost whispering to me at speeds i guess......

SPOOKY
    TurTal likes this.
  20. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.cyclegear.com/accessori...wrYP6gOtDRstZvT9xoChhMQAvD_BwE&sku_id=1652851

scosche_hd_bottle_mount_750x750.jpg

They're really versatile...very well built
    They'll hold anything the straps can wrap around...never had a problem with em

20200503_114519.jpg

I keep multiple sets on the rig that I use for all kinds of stuff