Consistency

Discussion in 'Trials' started by heffergm, May 8, 2018.

1. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    All you guys who are good (you know who you are)... What can I do to improve my consistency. I have this horrible habit of killing it on the first loop and falling apart on my second. I'll typically gather it up for 3 and 4.

This past weekend was an amplified version of this... Had the best first loop of anyone (2). Proceeded to five section six twice, on 3 and 4, then a stupid 5 on lap 4 in a section I cleaned all day.

I half feel like it's boredom, but it might also be that I suck, it's tough to tell. Something more challenging might wake me up... I feel like I'm riding on eggshells desperate to not dab because I know the day is so easy (the winning score was a 10, and my theoretical best after my opening lap was an 8). Suffice to say I was annoyed, but I basically feel like I did when I was riding a lower class a few years ago... Not much going on in the sections, but zero room to screw up, so it's all mental.

That said, I have no illusions about riding up a class... Almost everyone there is demonstrably a lot better than me.
  2. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know I'm a novice, but sounds like lack of concentration to me. You say your loop 2 falls apart? Do you spend what you think is too much time, walking sections/queueing up to ride and then rush loop 2? Maybe work on time management? From riding enduros, my time management for a trial is pretty natural. Maybe you can challenge yourself by trying to lower your score each loop? 3D Trials in NY has the "Wittler's Club". If you wittle down your score every loop, you get an award. I know it's hard, when you start with a 2!
  3. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha I had the opposite problem last weekend. Loop one was 17 points, loop two was 9 points, loop 3 was 3 points. I know a lot of it was being intimidated by the class I was in both in terms of the section and the other riders. Just glad I was able to clean myself up but if I'd started with my loop 3 mindset I'd have placed instead of being DFL.
  4. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Falls apart was overstating things for effect. I think I had a seven, which with one stupid five was a bit of an outlier even for me. But my second loop is generally my worst.

I've never had a time issue, other than maybe needing to slow down a little, but this Sunday was a really easy day in terms of the loop and whatnot. I wasn't hurting at all at the end of the day which is a bit of a rarity.

After the day I really feel like I was in a sort of fog during my bad sections. I need to kick myself or something.
  5. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Friend who is an excellent rider, says talk yourself through every little motion to maintain concentration. He tells himself every small throttle opening change, clutch lever position, braking, foot peg pressure, etc and this guy can do it all from muscle memory!
    Kiharaikido and DyrWolf like this.
  6. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh, that's rare. Usually the guys that are that good can't vocalize the majority of what they do.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always remind myself one section at a time. No worrying about the hard ones till you are there.
    Norman Foley and heffergm like this.
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I did almost the same thing this last weekend. My first loop was the best out of everybody (of course I don't know this at the time), second loop I drop a few more points, but nothing to demoralizing. Third loop first section I ride is the one I was scoring and was clean until the last 20 feet, missed an easy gate and fived. That blew me mentally, I was pissed at such a stupid mistake. The day was dragging on, I had an hour to get two more loops in and I just bonsaied the rest because time was running out. Third loop was two fives and another five on the fourth loop for three fives for the day. I was technically 15 minutes late, only to find out they pulled the time limit because there were still people with a full loop to finish.

I get impatient and I'm just there just for the day. This was two day event and most are there for the weekend, so they are in no hurry to go anywhere. And since I rarely compete for season points, I just get a give a fuck attitude sometimes when it all goes to hell. I finished 6th out of the dozen riders, if I wouldn't have carded that first five, I would have most likely finished 2nd or 3rd, but hey I've got enough dusty trophies in boxes already.
  9. Buschog

Buschog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first loop is typically my worst, my last loop is almost always my best.

I'm pretty certain the first loop is a concentration, and warm up thing. I rarely change my line throughout the day, unless someone points out something that I've missed. By the time I get around to the last loop it's almost like I'm on a trail ride. I remember the sections, I'm hitting my marks, and things are working pretty well.

Of course I'm still a lower level rider, so I don't know what to think other than I ALWAYS need more work on the basics. Its exceedingly rare for me to hose up an obstacle at my level. But gimme a turn in some babyheads...
    VxZeroKnots and Norman Foley like this.
  10. heffergm

heffergm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ended up 6th as well... with 21 cleans for the day (second only to the winner). Disgraceful. ;)
  11. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    We see time as some inflexible thing, but the truth is we can tweak it.

Never be in a hurry to hurt yourself, I like to quip in my schools. When you are out of sorts on the inside, time speeds up. When in performance instead of struggle mode, time slows down.

Let time run out on a long string....
    thegraydog, jonnyc21 and Norman Foley like this.