1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Consumer Reports May 2015 Motorcycle Reliability and Satisfaction survey results

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by TannerLdJ123, Apr 7, 2015.

1. TannerLdJ123

TannerLdJ123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. HanShotFirst

HanShotFirst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but let's give it a whirl...

11,000 bikes over a 4 year period, and the results are displayed in % of bikes that will encounter a "major" repair in a 4 year period.

Reliablity by brand
    Brand Percent failed
    Yamaha/Star- 11%
    Suzuki - 12
    Honda - 12
    Kawasaki - 15
    Victory - 17
    Harley-Davidson - 26
    Triumph - 29
    Ducati - 33
    BMW - 40
    Can-Am - 42

HOWEVER - Harley Davidson ranks highest in owner satisfaction...but I think that was predictable.
    https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/makes-most-reliable-motorcycle-100025261.html
  3. murdock2002

murdock2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing this! it is refreshing to see that in terms of "fun" every motorcycle brand received the highest possible score...I think it speaks to the main reason why people ride in the first place.
  4. SGrider

SGrider This space for rent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not surprised to see Yamaha at the top, but I'm surprised to see BMW behind Ducati.:rofl
  5. HanShotFirst

Oddometer:
    My bet is all the complex electronics are what's killing BMW's reliability. I can't recall the last time I heard anyone with serious mechanical issues, but I hear electrical/electronic all the time. And those are sometimes very expensive fixes. I think BMW's leading edge is bordering on the bleeding edge.
  6. st3ryder

st3ryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a pile of useless information that really says nothing and could be interpreted any number of different ways without the significant amount of missing details, needed to give any value or credence to those numbers.

Says nothing, means less unless you have a ton more details like the models, the riders, the location, the use, the mileage etc and so on. That garage queen, low tech V-Stars that see mostly parade-like duties owned by women or those who ride like them have fewer break downs than high level of technology BMW's or Ducatis, owned by spirited riders who like to roll the throttle on shouldn't surprise anybody.

Here, I'll make something up too:

Top three bikes ever in the opinions of some:

Ducati,
    BMWi,
    Harley Davidson.

Discuss. :norton
  7. MacGlennon

MacGlennon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see this broken down by brand of average miles per year ridden, if that's at all possible. There was some earlier discussions regarding this Consumer Reports study. The BMW guys (of which I am one) protested that they, on average) most likely ride 2, 3, 4 times the mileage that the average Harley rider does. I'm not taking sides here, just pointing out that there may be other factors here than my bike is more reliable than yours, etc...
  8. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very impressive showing by Victory. They sure make some nice looking bikes and they seem to have the quality and owner satisfaction to go along with it.
  9. HanShotFirst

Oddometer:
    So you're a BMW owner then...:evil
  10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Can understand that it's not giving real data.... having said that, For every woman owned Star parade bike there is a Ducati sitting in an owners checkered floor garage and being ridden 1500 miles a year.

And for every spirited rider on a BMW or Ducati there is a teenaged nutcase on an R6 redlining in every gear and stunting.

I'd say it shows the bigger picture pretty good...

i'm actually suprised the other bikes are so close to the Honda and Yammi...:ear
  11. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    The first graph PREDICTS the percentage of each make that will need a repair in the first four years of ownership.

There's a lot of wiggle room in that. For example, is the data normed for number of miles driven? BMW riders, for one, are notoriously high milers, while other riders are not.

Is the data adjusted for type of motorcycle? A dual sport bike that sees a fair amount of off-road riding is going to need repairs due to hard use, while a standard bike isn't.

I'd like to have a look at the raw data.
  12. HanShotFirst

Oddometer:
    I'm a Japanese bike kind of guy, but I'm betting you're right. Yeah the Japanese make very reliable bikes and I'm convinced they're the most reliable in the world. But the more serious, high mileage riders tend to ride BMW's and to a lesser degree, Harley Davidson.

You'll see 10x more high mileage BMW's than you'll see any of the Japanese brands with the exception of a Honda Gold Wing.

Anecdotally (which means really nothing) I have seen quite a few BMW guys with electrical/electronic problems.

But it would be very telling to see it done not by years owned, but by miles driven. I'm thinking the BMW would quickly move up to, or nearly to the top of the list.
  13. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am glad to see Suzuki get into the top tier as far as reliability goes. It's telling though, when you look at the next chart, that Suzuki gets dinged on "reader score" and "owner satisfaction". Victory scores better in "handling" and "acceleration" than Suzuki or Kawasaki? Yeah, sure. Very different people comparing apples and oranges, obviously.
  14. zedXmick

zedXmick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Consumers Reports can FO....junk magazine pushing useless information. 11,000 bikes in four years.....pissing in the wind....less than 3,000 bikes a year.......:snore
  15. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised to see Suzuki's big improvement in numbers, although I do think they have been working hard to right their ship for a while now. The V-Strom's are probably about as reliable as an anvil. I'm not surprised to see an improvement, just didn't expect to see such a big improvement.
  16. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems the more expensive bikes,that you'd think would be purchased by more affluent customers with the dollars to actually maintain them properly, are the least reliable.The Can Am is a real surprise as I've never seen one being ridden hard.Something seems a little off.
  17. HanShotFirst

Oddometer:
    Well it's a one size fits all survey, so there's a lot of apples vs. oranges going on. It shows what's happening overall as a brand, but I'm not sure what that really tells you. I mean, you could buy a Yamaha that's on the top of the list and if it's a low selling model that's a POS, chances are it really didn't affect the overall rating.

I find it interesting, but I'm not sure what the study is good for other than a conversation piece.
  18. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I don't think a lot of BMW owners rack up as many miles as people think. Sure you'll get the odd guy that rides a long way and for long durations, but no different than Wing owners or some Sport tour riders on FJR's. You'll find high and low mileage of all sorts.

I travelled coast to coast a few times and my unofficial data tells me that i see a lot more HD's going places than all other bikes combined.

The determining factor is not the bike, but being able to afford the extended time away from home and money one needs to run through 200k miles in 5 years.
  19. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find CR less reliable than three drunk guys in a bar...

Because:

1: It's a self-selective poll. They only ask their members. And who subscribes to CR? Certainly not stunters or 1 percenters or ghetto racers with their stretched swingarms or for that matter most people who ride.

2: They don't publish their raw numbers. Any scientist will do that. They don't, so we have no idea how many bikes (or products of any sort) are in their survey. Is it 2,000 BMW RTs and 100 Kawis? How many of each type of Kawi? How many miles per type of bike? What is the age of each owner of each bike?

3: They lump together all sorts of "problems" under one umbrella. A speedometer that has small numbers is the same kind of problem as a dead transmission.

I think Consumer Reports would die as a publication if they published their data, because readers would see it's woefully thin. Yes, they have good info on the 140,000 Priuses in their data base, but, come on, motorcycles? Really?

And while three drunk guys in a bar might know they were spewing trash when they wake up the next morning, Consumer Reports continues to parade around in their white lab coats and pretend their surveys are scientific.

Cakeeater
  20. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Don't think Yamaha actually sells a POS.

Maybe the survey should read which brand will likely give you the biggest piece of shit..:lol3