Conti question

Discussion in 'Australia' started by j_wolfy, Jun 15, 2005.

1. j_wolfy

j_wolfy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm posting here with this Q hoping there are some guys who have experienced the same road (or type) with the same predicament.

My rear TKC80 has about 40% tread left on the centre.
    I'm about to head out of Alice for Perth via the Great Central Rd and have about 1000kms dirt and 1000kms sealed (roughly).
    Do I put a new conti on or will the Great Central allow me through (just)?

From Perth I put my tourances back on and carry a new set of Conti's to Broome to ride over to Cairns - hence why I don't want to half use up a conti rear before Perth. (My vocational guidance counsellor didn't recommend I make a career in Logistics.)

I'm ready to go with the tread I have left but need to know if I am asking too much.

Cheers, Wolfy.
  2. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just spoke to the the bike doctor tyre guy here in perth and he advised new rubber before leaving. its going to be wet and the road is rocky in lots of places. docker river etc.
    ed
  3. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use these tires all the time. The last 40% will wear slowly. The TK's tend to wear fast at first and then slow down. Its hard for us to advise you. I have a saying if you are not sure change the tires and send the old tires home for later on. I always put new tires on for 5 days adventure rides and use the old tires for the road. I've just done that today changed my rear tire with a used TK. The front tire will last two rear tires. The TKs are not a good mud tire and even if they are new will be not much better than your tire which has 40%
  4. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Wolfy - can you do me a favour. If you are getting them in Alice, can you check that Race Motorcycles the BMW dealer has sets on hand - I ordered mine from them but he claimed there is no need as he has them all the time - Ive been down that road before.
  5. j_wolfy

j_wolfy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Then how about a Karoo for the mud and rocks? Cheaper too! Threads here, as well as other guys I've met, suggest they've a short lifespan.
  6. j_wolfy

j_wolfy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Slow,

Spoke to them just now - they have 1x Conti rear ($250) and 1x Karoo rear ($?) in stock and holding both for me.

Boss not there and young guy only been there 2 weeks so NFI. I would call Andrew at Moto-one in Melbourne (03 9568-0100) who seem to keep good stock of Conti's and send them up to Alice on McCafferties bus frieght and collect at depot. Cost me $30 to send a set from Adelaide to Perth - not bad! Could be the safest option.
  7. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    :huh - Fook me - I knew it - thanks Wolfy - I had the same problem trying to get Tourances in the NT last year - I'll ring them now and have an order done.