Continental Divide Adventure 2020

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lane01, Apr 26, 2020.

1. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good morning to all of us in quarantine. I’m in the process of planning my great escape from all this and wanted to touch base out here and see if there were anyone else interested in making the great ESCAPE and or recommendation on timing, routes, and things along the way worth stopping for.

Current escape plan: Around leaving Houston around the end of Aug. this must be over by then, Location ride the CDT, planning about 2-3 weeks, not looking to set any speed records just a nice relaxed fun ride, camping pretty much the whole way. Once completed not sure about coming home at this time. May ride freeway home, ship bike back, rent van and drive or possibly just turn around and ride north to south trail back home, I’ll be on my Africa Twin, plan on stopping in El Paso to swap street tires 90/10 with something and little more off road 50/50. I have multiple GPX routes and am looking for a paper map.

If you might be interested contact me and let’s talk and see what happens.
    Square1 likes this.
  2. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a good plan I'd love to talk and see about meeting up. It's always a lot safer with someone to help each other out plus fun time like this would be a lot better with some people to share them with instead of alone. I'll keep in contact. Where are you coming out of?
  4. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading out of Colorado Springs, so basically due south for me to the start. Send me a PM and we can keep in touch. I have GPX files for the route I'm trying to follow, got no problem with sharing information and ideas.
  5. MTvtwin

MTvtwin noob rymes with boob hehe

Oddometer:
    If either you two need a stop over near Yellowstone, located in the Ruby Valley Near Virginia City Montana, if it helps we have beer on tap :) PM me if your coming thru.....
    ssilliman likes this.
  6. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey sounds like a great invite to me!
  7. Maverich

Maverich I'm not lost

Oddometer:
    I'm eyeballing a trip in late august. It will involve following the river from Eagle Pass to El Paso, then Sam's "Shadow of the Rockies" trail up through NM, and maybe some CO. I think I'll be in El Paso Late August. I'm not out to set any speed records either, and prefer camping. Nothing's firm yet, we might be a match for a few days.
  8. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a good plan to me. I'm not set on any date other then mid to late Aug. and this is mainly hoping I can avoid some rain, I hate mud and shouldn't have much if any snow to deal with.
  9. Maverich

Maverich I'm not lost

Oddometer:
  10. KevinZucht

KevinZucht Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys....keen on your plans, I had planned on doing this same ride...with a little change. Starting from Oroville WA. then doing the Pacific Coast Divide to Mex mainly off road and camping. Then east to NM then doing the Divide up to Montana and once again off road and camping, up into BC and ADV over to Vancouver(Home). Stelvio rigged for big offroad rides. hmmmmm maybe by then I can get a Covid 45 shot.
  11. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any idea when you may be starting the CDT we are planning for around mid Aug.
  12. KevinZucht

KevinZucht Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hoping about that time....ish as well. I would be on it now if not for Covid45. So since the borders are closed and can't really travel any distance in Canada, I took on a contract till late July/August....then want to head out for a long ride if everything works out here. I need to get back to NM for green chile burgers and a green chile beer in Taos NM, a must stop is Eskies in Taos.
  13. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well let's keep in touch and maybe we can meet up along the trail, I'm planning on doing the complete CDT and also will be camping
  14. KevinZucht

KevinZucht Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Done.
  15. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep in touch in case we are in the same area at the same time. I also use to be a hiker. thru Hiked the AT 5 years ago.
  16. KevinZucht

KevinZucht Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yahoooo, starting to sound like a good group. I may have to get that Tenere 700 early:)
  17. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    started April 2015, trail name was tex or texas. Took to the day 6 months and had bad knees before starting and way worse after. Loved it was a blast but would never do something like that again and most likely would have quit but had to many people betting against me so I had to prove them wrong. Now I'll ride my adventures.
  18. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well what'ch waiting for get that Tenere and join us
  19. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    What gpx. tracks you guys using?
  20. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have GPS Kevin, And I forget who did the other tracks I have plus Butler BDR for each state and my built in routes on my GPS
    Aces 6 likes this.