Continental Divide maps??

Discussion in 'Americas' started by rufus, Jan 9, 2011.

1. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:
    I am beginnning to plan a CD ride. I would like to have the best paper maps I can get to start with. Who has the most detailed maps? --I have almost no info on the CD. ANY and ALL info on the trip would be appreciated. I have googled the CD and spent a few hours looking around but I would like to hear the voice of experience to filter the info down to a manageable level...................Thanks
  2. Sir Dave

Sir Dave Big Dave

Oddometer:
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This recent report gives a pretty comprehensive view of the ride. If you are a GPS user the related GPX files give current info as far as the route, fuel, points of interest, and the like.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603076

GPS Info:
    http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19

It is always helpful to read through the many ride reports about the trip as there is something to be gleaned from each of them.
    Liberty4Ever likes this.
  4. rufus

Oddometer:

Thanks. I read it already but will read it again. -GPS is great. Paper maps are good, but GPS tells you when you are wrong.
  5. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Benchmark Road & Recreation Atlases are easily the best of the atlas genre, but they also cost about $20-25 each and you'd need one for each state. You'd have to photocopy pages as well.

U.S. Forest Service maps, where relevant (and that's a lot of that country), are excellent, but surprisingly heavy due to their durable coating. And they're about $9 each and you'd need a collection of them.

For the southwest, the Automobile Club of California's maps, most especially Indian Country (free to members) is the best foldable paper map I've ever seen.

I use all of these routinely.

Also remember that if you stick to the official GDR (Great Divide Route), understand that it was laid out for bicyclists, and you will have many more options than they do. Don't feel you have to stick to the official GDR, or you'll miss some very good stuff (fuel in Farson, Wyo., for example).
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Smelling opportunity and a need...

Tony,
    The bike maps are really very good, and they offer good info.
    Some of that route/s is single track that a 4x4 can't travel, but there are other trails near that can be used by 4x4. And in many places, offers better scenery.
    Why not a 4x4 CD Byways Guide...?:D
  7. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    That's good information, Lone Rider. Thank you for posting it. I should have stated outright that I've not seen the paper maps for the Great Divide Route. Only the book that the bicycling association published.

My thought in recommending Benchmarks is that they offer a big-picture perspective -- rather detailed, actually -- that can suggest alternate routes.

For example, Blacktail Road out of Dillon is awesome, as is Gravelly Range Road. Those are not direct routes, to be sure. They are substantial detours, in fact. But to me, that's why I have an internal combustion engine instead of pedals.

A Byways guide to the Divide? I'd love to. But there's that $3 gas @ 15 mpg in an SUV ... many many months of hard work ... and all these crazy folks posting free info on ADV :rolleyes
  8. rufus

Oddometer:

I have a few benchmark maps, they are very very good...................................Never heard of Farson, but this is the kind of info I want. Thanks
  9. rufus

Oddometer:
  10. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Farson is a hamlet at the junction of Hwys 28 and U.S. 191 with a motel, cafe and gas. It's about 45-50 miles up Hwy 28 from there to the turnoff to South Pass/Atlantic City, as I recall. Importantly for folks exploring the historic South Pass area, it's also near Little Sandy Crossing, an important, even picturesque site on the emigrant trail.

Visit this important and evolving ride report, by famous ADV inmate dockingpilot, for pics and more ...
  11. Trailace

Trailace Dumb Ass

Oddometer:
    How are your maps coming I did it back in 2003 and going to do it again this year with my son. Let me know if you need any info. I have the adventure cycling maps and they are great.
  12. truckguy

truckguy awesomeness!

Oddometer:
    Gpx tracks are available on the web for any motorcycle track you want...CDT and PCQ are both on here, TAT you have to search a little harder for; that said, get the gpx tracks and you can route your own on a map then print it off
  13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually GPS is just like a paper map folded to the area where you are and there is a big "You Are Here Arrow" on it.

I have ready to load 20X500 tracks on GPSXchange.com
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    what tony said on the benchmarks.
    photocopy, laminate and the bind those pages in the order you need them.
    no one has produced a cdr map...yet. :ear
    make sure to have big dog's gpx file loaded.

15. Tom Krein

Tom Krein Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys! I am starting to plan a trip for next year... still have to get the bike! :)

Tom
  16. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    There are these by the Adventure Cycling Association. I've never seen one and know nothing about them. But if you're going to stick to the official bicycle route, as most seem to, then perhaps they'll work for you.
  17. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    They are top notch.
    A few sections of the bicycle route can not be run on a motorbike. The go-around routes are shown.
  18. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Lone Rider, I'm curious: Where are the segments that can't be ridden on an MC located?
  19. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be riding a DR 650 on the Great Divide Trail starting out from San Diego on August 1st. I am going to pickup the trail at Poncha Springs, Colorado, and ride South to North.

I got the Adventure Cycling Association maps, Great Divide Maps 1, 2, 3, & 4, which cover from the Canada/ US border to Platoro, Colorado.

I am very pleased with the maps, and the information on them. I think that they will be most helpful.
  20. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    IIRC...the qualifier...

Section near Warm Springs in ID, by a lake near Steamboat in CO, and just north of Seeley lake in MT (marked non-motorized only on the north end). Also a route by Breckenridge and Silverstone in CO.

They don't present a problem.