Continental Divide Ride

Discussion in 'Americas' started by StromNTom, Jun 12, 2012.

1. StromNTom

StromNTom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Solo rider (Tom) seeking to join a group (of any size) planning on riding the Continental Divide (USA) either this fall or next summer. Rider is 69 years old, in good shape, semi-intelligent, witty, casual, easy to get along with, mechanically inclined. Been an avid rider for close to 60 years. Either motels (nothing fancy needed, just clean with no bed bugs) and/or camping. Comments and suggestions are welcome. I have a KLR 650, however, thinking of getting a DRZ 400. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/icon10.gif
  2. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did it last September. I rode a Yam wr250r and my buddy rode a KLR. Bikes were evenly matched. The KLR needed an air filter cleaning about half way. Was a really fun ride. Particularly Wyoming and southern CO. Use tracks. I used Cannonshot's tracks on a Garmin 60. Never missed a turn. Plug and play.
  3. tcuguy

tcuguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can do it this August (at the beginning - mid). I actually just posted another thread asking if others were interested until I saw this post, so I guess others ARE interested.

I would do camping. I ride a Triumph Tiger and I am literally ready to go.
  4. flashbackmac

flashbackmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok guys ,lets talk,my buddy and i are in al. wre where thinking about the end of july. starting where interstate 10 crosses the cdt @ Deming,N.M. so ,more riders the better and camping ,. we both ride dr650s,but as long as its two wheels. lets plan this
  5. Fulano

Fulano Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Flash, I've been in touch with Tcuguy about joining up. You and I are neighbors, I'm south of you in Ft Walton / Destin Florida area. Ride Orange and will be trucking the bike out also. TCU gave me your phone number and will be calling you first chance I get so we can caravan out together. TCU is thinking about hitching a ride on my truck, thereby saving his ass for the important riding
  6. pasomonte

pasomonte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, I am geared up to the CDR sometime this week. I am solo and was planning on starting in Deming on August 1st. I ride a BMW Sertao with knobbies. I live near the CDR in Northern, NM Give me a holler so we can catch up along the way. I have planned a rest day in Salida and Lander. Pat 808-896-0210
  7. Spartan

Spartan It's All Attitude

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on riding the CDR in Aug or Sept 2013. I would rather not ride it solo and looking for others that are interested. PM me if you want to discuss.
  8. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a small group making plans for aug '13. Will be riding (two) R12GS a DR650, DRZ400, and possibly a Ural or two
  9. afmeyer

afmeyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in riding the CDR in 2013, preferably starting in mid June. If anyone is interested in going, contact me.
    Andy
  10. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not exactly the CDR, but more. I'm planning on riding from Mexico to Canada mostly following BigDog's route. We will start down south near Deming, NM, ride to the Canadian border, then back via a different route. BigDog's trip is on his website and I thought I would do one more like this, following one of the experts, before taking off and blazing some new trails. It will be a long trip, and there is one other inmate currently planning to go. Three or four is a good number. We don't ride balls out though, and take time to smell the roses for the most part. Camping and moteling along the way, next summer (2013). No date set yet, and plans flexible. Read the trip and if anyone is interested, PM me.
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think BigDog also has a Mexico to Canada route that is further west. I have followed parts of it from near the border south of Tombstone. This route incorporates some of the Great Western Trail but is often east of the accepted real trail.

This might be a nice way back.
  12. afmeyer

afmeyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most everyone on.this thread is going in August. I can understand if the reason is one's personal schedule. But, is there another reason? I thought long days and warm weather were an advantage. It gets cold, even snows, at the higher elevations in the northern end of the route in the last days of August.
  13. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Have you made the trip yet? Trying to plan something in mid to late July or mid August 2013
    (35th Anniversary is the August 12th, Wife would not be happy if I leave before)
    Riding a DRZ400S
    Almost 60, pretty good shape, not a dumb-ass, dangerous or extremist
    Good riding skills and basic mechanical skill
    Camping preferred and cheap motel every once in a while but NO BED BUGS!
    Going on a semi-time limit but not interested in 500 mile days
  14. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:

We rode it September as did DockingPilot and his crew I believe (Forever West). September tends to be dry. Mud can be a show stopper in parts of it. I would think June would be colder and still snowed in spots. July and August wetter with the monsoons and all.

We typically had low 30's in the morning and nice by late morning. Almost no mud and the two water crossings were shallow.
  15. KOH

KOH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll throw my hat in the ring, with any riders that want to run the CDR in late August or early September 2013. September weather conditions are normally good through the entire route. It's a great ride. I ran it last year. The early morning 's were a bit chilly in the northern section.

Presently I am in process of make preparations / planning for a ride from Texas to the Arctic - in May 2013. So September would work into my plans.

KOH
  16. afmeyer

afmeyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KOH
    What bike did you use for the ride on the CDR and with what tires?
  17. Artlocks

Artlocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am game for late aug/early sept 2013. May be retired by then.
  18. afmeyer

afmeyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    August 2013 is fine for me.
  19. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Mid-September has consistently pretty good weather. Earlier can be unsettled, even wet. September and October are the driest months and tend to see the least precipitation. Mountain valleys get cold at night, tho.
  20. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Yeah, be careful planning for the temps. Winter bag time.
    Also, glorious aspens.