Continental Divide Ride

Discussion in 'Americas' started by StromNTom, Jun 12, 2012.

1. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
  2. viper770

viper770 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is there a reason why you dont want to just load the trail in to your gps paper maps are always good back up i usally carry both where ever i go
  3. Spartan

Spartan It's All Attitude

Oddometer:
    I have the GPS tracks but like paper maps also.
  4. Nmunro

Nmunro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the wish to join a raiding party for the CDR. I am 55 on a R1200 ADV with some 20 years off road experience. Good mechanical skills and planning.

I would prefer to do North to South but I can still get down to New Mex to start. I have a preference for Mid Aug to end Septemeber. Camping and Moteling in equal measure.

Maybe someone start a list of who is planning to go when? I can if people send their date details.
  5. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used Cannonshot's tracks. I loaded into my 60Csx and it was plug and play. I used AAA paper maps to study it plus a set of Benchmark map books. I only took Wyoming Benchmark plus the AAA state maps. They are free after joining AAA.
  6. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode it in late Sep 2010 aboard a Yam wr250r. My bud rode a KLR. The roads are mostly dirt farm roads or forest service roads. They are generally well maintained. Lots of it was so wide open we cruised about 60mph. Had a few surprises. Mostly wildlife. However a big rain will stop your progress for a day as these roads can become impassable. Particularly southern CO and NM.

Figure 250-350 miles per day if dry. Generally about 8 hours of riding mixed with some sightseeing. Probably spent an extra half day exploring the Oregon Trail from South Pass to Farson.

Taking three whole weeks to do this trip would kill me. I like to motate :D
  7. Mr B

Mr B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to keep an eye on this thread too, I might be up for the CDR late summer, depends on my work schedule and when I will be back in the states, but thinking Aug/Sept is the best time in the Rockies..might pick up the Husky 511 this spring and set it up for some camping, either that or my GS
  8. klr650goldwing

klr650goldwing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading North on the CDR from near Butte, MT on July 11th 2013. This will be enroute to Alaska. I'd be happy to ride with anyone on that stretch of the CDR and into Canada if you feel so inclined.

Greg
  9. carcajou

carcajou Resourceful Weasel

Oddometer:
    I have these maps and would not attempt the CDT without them and a good gps. I attempted the trail last July but mechanical failure and injury stopped me. I am planning to try again in July 2013. Would be interested in company.
  10. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    If any of you folks are GPS users I have some GPX files that you might find useful in your planning or on your trip. One of the versions is a planning file that has the bicycle tracks on it as well to help you get oriented to your ACA maps and the required go-arounds where motorized vehicles aren't allowed. Another version is a ready to load file that fits into a 60 series (or similar) GPS that you can use on your trip. There are a lot of additional waypoints/POIs in the files that may be useful. Some of these include the locations of motorcycle dealerships by brand. The ride report offers more information about some interesting side trips that are along the route. I also made it a point to photograph many of the paths along the route so riders could get good information about what they were like and decide between options when there is more than one path. Hope this all proves helpful. The intent was to make it easier for the next guy.

[​IMG]
  11. jrsride2002

jrsride2002 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I now worship you, sir.....:eek1:devildog:tb:bow:beer:pynd

~Junior
  12. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding part of the CDR (Montana and Wyoming) on my way from Alaska to New York this mid August. I'll be on my F800GS if anyone else wants to ride together for the Northern portion. I plan on following Cannonshot's/BigDog's gpx tracks and might camp a few times.
  13. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding the GDT 2nd week of July from north to south. I'll be leaving AZ July 8 and most likely try to start up in Banff if time permits. I'm riding a '11 1200GSA and wanting to camp most days.
  14. farrell caesar

farrell caesar Seezer

Oddometer:
    May be we should talk.
  15. afmeyer

afmeyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to ride the CDR mid August through September. And would like to go north to south.
  16. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thinking of doing a september ride to miss the rainy season, and camp along the way. If anyone is game for this, riding a wr250r loaded with 4.7gal tank and tools. Will have to burn tires across country to get there.
  17. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    I'll riding the CDR North to South (current plan) Starting 3 August 2013. Planning on riding for 2 weeks. Shoot me a PM if interested.
  18. EnduroAmerica

EnduroAmerica YouTube.com/enduroamerica

Oddometer:
    I see a few years have gone by...

I am interested in doing this ride. Mid July 2015. Anyone interested?
    I am riding a "Tourateched out" BMW G650GS Sertao. Everything I need plus a satellite phone! I would like to leave from El Paso, TX. Shoot me a text if your interested 612-239-4971

Scott
  19. ORF

ORF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems like everybody and their brother did it in 2013. I'll be taking the first three weeks in August this year going South to North. I know a couple guys doing it in June. I am still looking for a riding partner.
  20. Sandoc

Sandoc n00b

Oddometer:
    I am also looking for a riding partner. I do NOT have a set time yet and open to any suggestion but i prefer to do it when its warm enough up north.
    I got KTM 690 enduro.