Continental Divide Tracks 2015 - OffWheelin

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by OffWheelin, Aug 30, 2015.

1. OffWheelin

OffWheelin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are the tracks I used for my ride in 2015. These tracks were validated/adjusted after I rode the route. They are easy to follow and don’t go through wilderness or private property. This route varies from the typical route to meet my needs.

My thoughts on the Continental Divide typical route:
    There is an official CDT for hikers and an official GDMBR for bicyclists, but, neither of them accurately follows the Continental Divide. I drew them on a map that had the Divide indicated and was surprised at the variation. There is no official route for motorcyclists so we don’t have to feel confined to the mountain bike route, though it is a good start. It is okay for a rider to make a route to suit his needs. We aren’t concerned with elevation gain/loss, so we are free to choose trails that may not appeal to those with pedal power.

In my planning I started using tracks from some motorcycle riders who were early adopters of the trail. I found that to be a mistake as the tracks are out of date and often go where we can no longer go such as wilderness or private property. While the tracks were not helpful, I do appreciate those riders for their photos, stories and inspiration. I eventually tossed that effort out and started again using tracks from Cannonshot, the Adventure Cycling Association, and the Colorado BCDR.

I adjusted my route to suit my needs. We went east to Cheyenne, and west to Silverton and Durango. In BaseCamp you can divide and join tracks, so you can use what you want.

I recommend that you view your completed tracks in Google Earth to validate they are on a real road. The topo maps are not accurate. Although detailed planning may seem like a lot of effort, it sure pays off when your trip goes smoothly. It is never fun to arrive at a fence that you didn't expect and then wonder what to do. Besides, looking at all the maps is an education in geography that you wouldn't receive elsewhere.

Sources:
    In the "GPS Tracks - Rockies" section, get the tracks from Cannontracks - Great Divide Ride. I used some of his tracks (thank you!), and kept many of the waypoints and the track naming convention.

You can get the bicycle route maps and tracks here. Tracks are free:
    http://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...ute-network/great-divide-mountain-bike-route/

Back Country Discovery Routes – free tracks:
    http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/

My Ride Report:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/continental-divide-on-a-honda-xr400.1089723/

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tracks. It is nice to have an updated version. Looks like you skipped some stuff east of Chama thru the Carson NF and thru the Jemez Mtns south of Abiqui. I need to look at your report. But it looks like you hit lots of mud in NM.
  3. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny but I just returned home yesterday - 4 Sept and although I had a great time I found myself facing a reroute several times on the trip. I am not the most organized but I tried to make notes and waypoints to try and help update the trail. Intended to start a thread and here it's already done - good work and I will compare your tracks to mine so thanks a lot!
  4. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was this trip with adv bike like gs or ktm adventure or dual sort bike similar to 530exc? Trails, roads, jeep tracks?
    Edit: never mind, I see it was an xr400.
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    By far most people are on big bikes KLR 650 and up, probably could be done in a car.

If you want a route for Dual Sport bikes (exc) look at the Great Western Trail.
  6. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was checking out the T1, tour of Idaho. Looks like lots of single track and little roads. I will check the GWT.
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Noticed you are in Washington, look at the PCQ.
  8. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    For that matter the wbcstdr is pretty interesting. Gotta go check that thread out.
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:

what is wbcstdr?
  10. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gameyogi's Washington back country single track discovery route. He rode part of it this year but Gifford pinchot was closed to riding all summer.
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may have talked to him before he started. Some guys in Oregon also did a parallel to the BDR but is some big secret and not posted on Advrider. However they seemed to be on big bikes and carried camping gear so probably nothing to write home about.

Did GameYogi post any Tracks?
  12. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes you did, looking now to see if he posted actual gps tracks. I shared some with him but don't know if he used them. He may have just shared a map with track.