Continental TKC 80 tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Krautbikeman, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Krautbikeman

Krautbikeman Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer:
    I searched the archives for postings about these tires and was able to find some info, but I would like an up to date account of current long-term users.

I have just mounted a set to a Y2k 1150 GS and have found them to be acceptable in normal riding conditions. I am realistic in understanding that they will not last as long as my D604 Dunlops, but I would like to get current feedback on life expectancy and what tire pressures are being used to get the best ride quality vs. life.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
  2. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I put 1200 miles on my set and they look half or more gone. :cry I doubt if you will find that normal street tire pressure ranges will make much diff with these. At highway speeds the rear center nobs just melt away.

I ran around 35 ft. and 40 rear on the street and 12-15 ft and 18 rear off road.

Off road ......lots of fun! :smile6
  3. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Hey Rad,

Once my new 3.2 final drive gets here and things dry out just a bit, I plan on trying out a set of these on some of the hundreds of miles of dirt forest roads around here. Where did you find 'em and how much were they?

Thx,

Marc
  4. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I got mine from cRAsh for about 2 C notes. MAW has them on their web site.

http://www.mawonline.com/continen.htm#Tires street

I have bought Tourances and Avons from MAW before. Good prices and good service....knock on wood.
  5. ralogan

ralogan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've used them on my 96 R1100GS for about four years. I was obtaining them from M&P Motorcycles in the U.K. until the U.S. distributor started importing them recently in anticipation of the R1150GS Adventure.
    Dry traction on tarmac is actually quite good and I didn't have to slow down in the corners any more than with the TrailWings. Riding buddies were amazed that I could keep up with them on fast paved twisties after mounting the TKC80s. Anything over about 80mph on sealed roads does eat through the rear fast. On a round trip to Baja, mostly zipping up and back on pavement, the rear was mostly gone after 3500 miles, but I squeezed 4K out or it.
    Of course the reason I got them is for the dirt, and they excel there. I figured that my discomfort always occurs on dirt, never on pavement, so that's where I need the help, and I get it with the TKC80s. One step more aggressive are the Karoos, which I use on my XTZ750. But the Karoos do not stick to pavement nearly as well as the TKC80s, and they require more slowing in quick turns on sealed roads.
    Rich