Continental TRAIL ATTACK tyres/tires ongoing test

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chris_GS, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Tuff Tunica

Tuff Tunica Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer:
    Let me try to explain how I understand this difference in tread pattern front to rear. I learned this very quickly from my mountain bike tires. (don't ask)

It's actually very simple and makes perfect sense when you think of it. The tread is designed to provide maximum contact and grip. Front tires and rear tires require grip, for the most part, in completely opposite ways.

Rear tires need maximum grip to propel the bike forward, or accelerate. Twist the throttle and it's the rear tire that is using contact to go forward

Front tires need most of their grip for braking or decelerating. Pull in that skinny right hand lever and the tire grip is applied to the road surface in completely the opposite way as the rear tire.

So now how does that not make perfect sense? :evil
  2. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states

Back to my theory from a few posts back.

3. ncbuckeye

ncbuckeye Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need some advice- I just had the TA 2's put on my bike (2012 R1200GS) to replace the Tourance EXP from factory. The dealer put them on. The Tourances were cupped and strange feeling on corners, but smooth. I thought I could feel a little shake in the handlebars right away with the TA 2's, but tried not to think much about it. I took the bike out the next day and I can definitely feel a shimmy (side-to-side) movement in the handlebars which seems worse around 45, but feels like a higher frequency vibration as speeds increase. I took my hands off the bars and the shimmy is pretty noticeable.

I know this was an issue with the older TA's, and I read through all the posts and someone mentioned that adjusting tire pressures help with this. Should I go higher or lower? I figure this will involve a trip back to the dealer, but I'd like to try my options first because the dealer is an hour and a half away. Thanks!
  4. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
  5. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    This answers your question HelmetHead. It's not that complicated. Think of the forces being put on the tire. The rear is being driven, the front is being pushed. Opposite forces, opposite tread direction.
  6. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only right answer in only a few phrases. Compliments! But that is really how it works...

Not that much biking here these days... Winter is trying to do its best to kick in... :puke1