Continental Trail Attacks..shimmy?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JStancampiano, Jul 17, 2008.

1. JStancampiano

JStancampiano PhotoJoe

Oddometer:
    I just replaced my worn Anakees with a set of Conti Trail Attacks and noticed the front end shimmys, worse at 40 to 50 mph. Has anyone noticed this and/or found a solution? My front wheel has about 1.5mm laterial runout which hasn't cause much of a problem in the past (really worn and cupped Anakees would also shimmy slightly).

I have tried different air pressures and suspension settings and am beginning to suspect that this is the nature of this tire.

Joe
  2. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    It's the tire. Several threads have popped up , including mine, with this same problem. Apparently, not all Cont. Trail Attack tires are the same... many with the same bike, same tire, same conditions profess that they have no problem at all.

I think Continental had a bad batch or they get them from different sources.

edit: After 5,000+ miles mine still shimmys
  3. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have not experienced this whatsoever on my '07 R12GS Adventure.

Take a good look/eval of your riding. Loosen up on the bars, tighten your core, get your weight off the bars, etc.
  4. duckboy

duckboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my Road Attack did it at 25-40mph when i released the throttle. the hand grips would displace about +/- 4"... if i released the throttle at higher speeds, the bars wouldn't shake. must be some weird frequency issue w/ the tire's carcass design or construction that couples w/ the suspension frequency... i took off the RA's and put back on the BattleWings. problem gone.

duckboy
  5. walrond

walrond Earth Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Not a problem on my GS but if I had the same problem I would definately contact Continental.
  6. JStancampiano

JStancampiano PhotoJoe

Oddometer:
    Do you know to country of origin of your tire? Mine says "made in Korea" Good German stuff.

Joe
  7. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    No, don't have a clue.
  8. JStancampiano

JStancampiano PhotoJoe

Oddometer:
    Any idea on contact info in US. I searched the net and couldn't find any US contact info...SWmototire offered to replace the tire, but there is no assurance that it will be any better. And of course guess who gets to pay for mounting, shipping..etc.

Joe
  9. Zombie73

Zombie73 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine still do it after 5k. I notice it the most when engine breaking around 30mph or so. Have read that its a GS trait as well, so who knows. Never happened until I threw the trail Attacks on. Other then that they feel great, and when I find out the right pressure for whatever weight I have at the time I might stop squaring off my frickin' rear's!
  10. JStancampiano

JStancampiano PhotoJoe

Oddometer:
    Well SWMototire is refunding the cost of the front tire to me when I send back the "defective" one. They would not take the rear one back too as there is nothing wrong with it. I am in the process of installing a set of Tourances on the bike (I know they work) and will save the Conti rear and either sell it, or when the Tourances wear out install it on the bike with a new front Conti (which by that time should be fron another batch).

I can't blame SWMototire for this problem, and their service has been good, but I won't run different manufactures tires at the same time.

Joe
  11. 450kid

450kid XC racer

Oddometer:
    Well, my 08 r12gs is nearing 900 miles with the trail attacks on it. So far not a single complaint. They do pretty well everywhere. They even suprised me with how decent they were in the sand. I was suprised I was able to low speed rail a sand berm with them and not eat dirt. :ricky

Of course, the bike in general, has impressed the crap out of me.
  12. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
    +1
    Mark
  13. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    This is definitely not the issue.... infact, what you sugest here invokes the shimmy. And it's not just coincidence that the shimmy is prevelent with this tire only and when changed for another ALL symptoms dissapear...

..it's the tire... and it's obvious that not all trail attacks are the same. For those that claim they have the trail atack on their bike and have no issues at all... I'd be willing to bet that if you put my trail attack on your bike you would instantly have the same symptoms.
  14. Burnszilla

Burnszilla BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer:
    My front TA shimmies too. I still like everything else about these tire though.
  15. JStancampiano

JStancampiano PhotoJoe

Oddometer:
    Put a new trail attack on the front after wearing the tourances out, This one works perfect. QC at factory must not be the greatest....get a bad one you got wobbles, good one works great.

Joe
  16. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Try running the best of both worlds. My front Tourances in the past wobbled when slightly worn but I liked the long wear, so now I have found a Tourance(non EXP) in the rear and a Michlin Anakee 2 in the front works best.
  17. UK_Engineer

UK_Engineer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fitted Trail Attacks a few days ago - rode a couple of hundred miles since at all speeds - not noticed any shimmies. Pressure on rear 41psi, front 35psi - so very close to recommended max.

Nice tyres - more stable at speed than the Tourance or Dunlop 607's that I had before; slightly heavier steering, but not a bad thing because the 1200 steering is on the light side anyway.

2005 1200GS
  18. cammyontheback

cammyontheback ADV'ers

Oddometer:
  19. Pappy541

Pappy541 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 09 GSA came with the TA's and they did just like the OP stated. IMHO they SUX. The dealer said that they had cupped and that was a problem that they had heard of before.
    I am going to replace them with tourances that I liked a lot on my 1150!
  20. pixelcodex

pixelcodex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had them for about 1.2 K and VERY happy with them. About 800 miles of twisties on those... Which ones did you get? I got the V rated ones, but I know they have H rated ones too... Almost bought those by mistake... These are the ones I have: http://www.tireexpress.com/prod.cfm/fid/10/pid/17318

Hope you resolve it, cause I find them to be phenomenal tires.