Continual Divide Trail 6/21/2021

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lane01, May 30, 2021.

1. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Breaking Announcement [​IMG].
    Imagine an adventure twenty seven hundred miles long, Criss crossing the Rockies from Mexico to Canada, traversing 5 states and climbing to elevations that seem to touch the sky. All the while being so remote and inspiring that you are constantly in awe of the diversity of landscapes.
    Committed & Its a Go.
    Jay Masterson & I will be doing the entire CDT this year. normal riders do it in 2 weeks but since we are old, unhealthy & both suffer from squirrel syndrome pretty sure it will take longer.
    Going to be an Epic Scenic Adventure.
    About the Continental Divide
    The Great Continental Divide ride is the premier Rocky Mountains Discovery Route. This route started as a mountain bike route to follow as closely as possible to the continental drainage divide running along the Rocky Mountains. The route consists largely of dirt roads that have been refined over the years to accommodate motorcyclists. This scenic trail runs from the USA/Mexico border into Canada and covers 2,767 miles of spectacular remote wilderness. The Route covers 5 states: New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana and is a mostly a mix of smaller dirt roads and backcountry roads. We will be meeting up at Sierra Blanca Picnic area just outside El Paso on the 21. Well spend the night there and head out the morning of the 22 for the start at Analope Wells. Any intrested riders let us know or just be there for the start.
    SupR-Bee ADV
    #KLR685
    #KTM390

Attached Files:

McLaughc likes this.
  2. tiziano

tiziano Motorcycle addicted

Oddometer:
    Wonderful trip! Enjoy it! It is in my bucket list, but not just yet....
  3. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man you guys have the attitude and bikes to have a great ride.
    Not being in a hurry is the only way I'll travel now-a-days.
    And the fact I'm old !!!!

I don't know if you've heard of Clement Salvadori ???? He's an old adventure world traveler--not sure he is still kicking----------but I was always reading about his travels around the world in magazines------so he gets the bicycle route does the ride and writes about it-----as far as I am concerned he is the first to do so---------he said in the American Motorcyclist magazine that this was his best ride of his life---------I was impressed-----and this is something I can do and it's in my country.
    That was all it took for me to ride it-----I outfitted my KLR and did it just a month after the article.
    I wish you guys the best !!!
    Thousands of people have used my tracks logs I recorded way back then.
    Not sure anybody had done that????? Nobody had a gps back then.

And as Paul Harvey said--"And now you know the rest of the story-----good day"
    BigDog
    bomose and 75bronco like this.
  4. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    I'll be two weeks ahead of you. Wave at me if I'm broken down in a ditch somewhere!
    lane01 likes this.
  5. rdw

rdw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did it (solo) about 4 or 5 years ago on a TW200. The off pavement part of the ride was a very good time. I've got no doubt you guys will really enjoy it.
  6. 0p2_ADV

0p2_ADV Mother Earth is a source of life, not a resource

Oddometer:
    I'll be leaving from Antelope Wells on the 18th. Have a wonderful trip and please share the journey with us.
  7. dnajoy

dnajoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    My wife and I are planning/ hoping to come over to the US, from the UK and do (or part of) the Continental Divide next summer.

I found the Kevin gps website and the route files he sells. On the surface it looks ideal for us as we want relatively easy trails and road options for bad weather - not to say that we can’t ride in bad conditions if the those circumstances arise, it’s just that we won’t plan it that way.
    However I read a post that said that the route (in 2018) was littered with no through roads, private roads and gates and that some of the diversions were very difficult for adventure bikes.
    I realise that weather, landslides and other stuff is unexpected and has to sometimes be negotiated.

so, a long winded way of asking for recommendations of GPS files, websites etc for the Continental Divide based on our criteria - we’re happy to pay for this service, obviously.

Many thanks
    DnA
  8. rdw

rdw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KJCSFC likes this.
  9. lane01

lane01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure either but I bought GPS Kevins and my understanding is that he updates his route redularly.
  10. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    The CDR ride is well documented and Cannonshot's free track here on advrider is excellent. The ride is pretty easy when dry. If you want paper maps, the Adventure Cycling association sells them. I don't know about GPS Kevin's routes and if they add extra value. Others can chime in on those. Work on conditioning your smiling muscles as those will get exercised for hours every day.
    pratered likes this.