Conversion therapy . The Hack

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bpeckm, May 21, 2015.

1. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I have a question... I've seen a lot of rotors, but I don't remember them having all of this schmutz around them.... is this normal, or am I dis-remembering (:1drink)

It works just fine, so no problem with function, just questioning that brown shtuff.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D
  2. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Things are coming apart for de-greasing and cleaning .....

[​IMG]

Swingarm bushings are in excellent shape under all that gunk. Shock bushings are all ok/marginal, so new shock bushings all the way around are sitting on the bench....

Frame paint is in generally good condition, with some nicks and dings and small-ish things to take care of..... good detail cleaning, priming/prepping for tie-coat/primer...... Solid black paint with well-adhered grey primer underneath seems to be what's going on:
    [​IMG]

3. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    At least the Final Drive/Wheel Splines are very much a separate repair operation and can be done later. Get the driveshaft done for now and move on to the next hurdle. If you can get a good FD (and wheel spline cup) go with the turnkey bolt-on approach. On the old FD the wheel splines are repairable by Hansens and bearings, bushings and shimming wouldn't hurt while that FD is at the shop and apart. So you have a rebuildable used unit or if you want to invest the time a rebuilt FD for that /2.

Rainy rainy last week, we had a reprieve yesterday and today it's back being drizzly. I rode yesterday. :pynd

--Bill
  4. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    The schmutz Old Epoxy. And/or you may have an impromptu repair where the wire coming up to the sliprings broke and was repaired and lots of epoxy was slathered on to stabilize it. That junction at the sliprings is a common failure point where the rotor goes open, intermittently or for good.

I'd put this rotor up as "known good, for now" spare and plan to replace it. Or wait if you're tiptoeing a budget. Depends on how lucky you feel. How does the diode board look?

--Bill
  5. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Frame paint is in generally good condition, with some nicks and dings and small-ish things to take care of..... good detail cleaning, priming/prepping for tie-coat/primer...... Solid black paint with well-adhered grey primer underneath seems to be what's going on:
    [​IMG]

:D[/QUOTE]

my 65' /2 is # 627630.
    628997 would most likely be a 66' frame....
  6. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:

my 65' /2 is # 627630.
    628997 would most likely be a 66' frame....[/QUOTE]

Hmm.... the only information I have had is from the Phil Hawksley site:

BMW R60/2 (1960 - 66) (serial numbers) 622001 to 629999

...and am travelling now so I cannot confirm, but my Bill of Sale and the old registration give it as a 1964....and RI simply goes by "what THEY said"......

:confused

7. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
  8. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan... yes I looked through that list to see if either my orphan engine 642388 or my orphan frame 628997 were listed. Neither are wanted/lost. My last 60/2 was dated and confirmed by an email to Germany.... I will probably do that at some point for 628997.

9. JimGregory

JimGregory Long timer

Oddometer:
    So whats going on in Newport this coming weekend? Had a hard time finding a room. Taking a little road trip for no particular reason.
  10. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm....nothing in particular that I know of. Newport seems to attract crowds at all times of the year, for sure. There may be a pre-Turkey day something, who knows! I tend to NOT go to the tourist waterfront if I can help it, WAY too many shuffling and bumbling walkers for my taste. Plenty of great restaurants (that means bars with good food!) on Broadway anyway.

Having said all those things, I do love living here! Every time I am away, it is so nice to come over any of the bridges (Newport is on Aquidneck Island, so there IS going to be a bridge on the way!) and see the waterviews. Five minutes from home to a beach, five minutes the other way to open fields. Hard to beat!

11. JimGregory

JimGregory Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya we are staying just out of town. We just wanted to get away and get in a bike ride before the snow flies. In the summer just about every spare weekend we are off on the boat. Only did a couple of bike weekends. Just winterized the boat yesterday. Sail drive full of salt water. Ugh..fun.
    Ya I like it here as well. It's funny we go one place to get away and those people come here to get away. Away is away I guess.
  12. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Give me a call, don't know my plans yet.... (m) seven seven 2 559 4 seven 25.

13. JimGregory

JimGregory Long timer

Oddometer:
    May do that. Don't know the wheres and whens of it but would like to say hello and check out the /2C
  14. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally got back into the garage and started digging some more.....

Glad to see an updated breather valve!
    [​IMG]

There was a little surprise lurking in the oil filter area....
    [​IMG]
    ....what's that yellow o-ring doing, smushed behind the canister edges? Smushed and useless!!
    [​IMG]

I did cut open the oil filter, it was a good Mahle hinged filter, no godawful swarf in there, but definitely some crud, so it was doing its job....
    [​IMG]

Oily hands.....oily oily everywhere!

15. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Figured I had best take a look at the timing chain and tensioner "while I'm in there....." I thought I had heard some slack and slap a couple of times when riding.
    [​IMG]

Found a chain with master link, indicating that it had been replaced at least once (I think that the original 1974 chain would have been a continuous, no-masterlink, eh?)
    [​IMG]

I have never been into a double-link chain before, but having read Snowbum's technical article, where he says that the chains generally stretch very little, I have to assume that the slack that I found is "normal".... though it is more than I would have supposed.
    [​IMG]

The chain tensioner is definitely shot.....
    [​IMG]

heh heh heh ...... :pep
    [​IMG]

So, another little thing to add to the (growing!) list of parts and things to do!!! I'm just glad I am going into it now, as it "seems to be time to do some maintenance....." :yikes

:patch
  16. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, and I've been doing some filling/sanding/prepping/filling/sanding/painting on the frame, too.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was hoping to find Rustoleum epoxy paint, but not to be found around these parts, so I opted for the VHT epoxy. It's easy to use, I will be putting on three/four coats, and will probably clearcoat with 2-part when the time comes. The epoxy paint stands up well to gas spills and oil, but (so far, anyway) doesn't have a lot of gloss and pizazzzzzz...... We'll see how it builds out after I wetsand!

:1drink
  17. CafeDude

CafeDude Ride to eat.....

Oddometer:
    I like the VHT paints too. Covers well, stands up to the sun pretty good, dries hard and looks the part.
  18. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    ....and with a little time last evening, the motor got a serious degreasing on the undersides, then it was upended and the pan came off.....

[​IMG]
    Can't wait to see my new shiny SS pushrod tubes and rubbers replacing that stuff ^

[​IMG]

Lousy pic, but all of the bolts except one were just fine... one had a helicoil/something in it (front right bolt)
    [​IMG]

.....and...

[​IMG]

:yikes .....what's THAT doing in there......?

Remind me to check that master link again!!! :patch

19. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Found just a little bit of swarf in there, insides look pretty durn clean, cam looked good at first glance, but will check further then the jugs come off....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gasket was quite thick, and extremely-fastened to the pan, though it came off the block with no effort whatsoever. It looked like some of the leaking oil was from the pan gasket, but not really sure. Re-seal of that, and all the oil trouble-spots is certainly on the list!

:1drink
  20. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    It's pretty common for the front R/H bolt on the oil pan to be stripped. Because of the oil filter tube, the threads are short with no backing (not a blind hole). All the other bolts have backing in the shape of the engine block (blind holes). So, if there's a leak at that bolt, it gets tightened and stripped. This is the one bolt on the oil pan that needs a little sealant on it when you put it back.

Yup, that tensioner shoe is definitely in need of replacement. The chain must not be very worn as the front main bearing carrier isn't carved up.

I wouldn't worry too much about that master link clip in the oil pan. Just prove the master link on your chain is there and toss that extra clip in your spares for when you lose one. Whoever lost that clip probably rationalized that it was too big to get sucked up and through the pick up screen. I've found weirder stuff in oil pans. Now, if I'd found that clip in the pan without taking off the timing cover, then yes, I'd be very worried!

It looks like you're going to have a great riding season next year!
    bpeckm likes this.