Cool Trials tools and workshop tricks

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Hoss Cartright, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Super Dirt Dud

Super Dirt Dud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nobody has a 200cc bike except Beta and that is my new favorite . Now back to the Tools for my shop any great new ideas ?
  2. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    Vertigo has a 200 now...
  3. Whiskeywarlord

Whiskeywarlord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And it took home the British American Cup this year, piloted by one of their US team riders.
    wheelieman14 and Super Dirt Dud like this.
  4. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Went to Capitan, New Mexico (yes that Capitan, Billy the Kid, Smokey Bear, blah blah) to pick up the bones of a 1955 Wayne 80 gallon compressor -

20200615_164946.jpg

20200616_122924.jpg
    Pump turns and "chuffs", tank had very little debris in it. I dig old American tools and equipment, I like the high quality, so I don't mind refurbing them. My "old" oilless DeVilbiss (so old it's NOT Chinese :D) 20-gallon doesn't really like constant air tool use, and really hated the old blast cabinet that's getting refurbed as well. It's never dull here (yes, yes it is.) :thumb
  5. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice. My DeV has been in our family for almost 40 years. Keeps on chuffin! love it. its never had a guard on it and it was bugging me so i boxed the front of it in last winter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Brewtus and GTC like this.
  6. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spring Tools.JPG

I was a total skeptic when this tool was handed to me. Now I m a believer. If you need to remove a bolt or screw that has had the head striped, then this is your new friend.

Attached Files:

7. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Norman Foley, jonnyc21 and Brewtus like this.
  8. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine has a set of these and really likes them. I've been looking for an excuse to grab a set for a few years now, but haven't found a situation where my automatic punches don't work. How do you use these to help with removing stripped fasteners?
  9. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are spring loaded punches. You PULL and PING the bolt head at an angle. All the while you are saying "this isn't gonna work". Then watch it start moving.
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is wild.I have to try these things.The last ones on my old Fantic skid plate I welded a bar to them to get them out.Would be cool to have a easier way.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to pick up a old smaller south bend lathe. Have used a few modern lathe,s but really like the old south bend.Solid and they just keep pounding out good work.Damn things are hard to find as most of the lathes I see are way bigger than I would need.
    Norman Foley and Brewtus like this.
  12. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After spending literally thousands of hours on many different lathes I would consider the following before purchasing my own:

Not too small that you will get significant flex in the tool post when cutting harder materials or when machining things that have an intermittent cut. Also "parting off" is scary with a lathe lacking rigidity.

Larger lathes can generally do smaller jobs just as well as a smaller lathe. The opposite is not true. I would consider workshop space and budget more than anything here I think.

I would absolutely insist on a quick change tool post. This saves so much pissing around.

I would need a range of carbide tools. Again a massive time saver and you can do a fair amount of work without any messy coolant. I use HSS tools only if I need to grind a special profile.

3 and 4 jaw chucks a must.

Digital readouts are a luxury on a lathe. Nice to have but not necessary. On a mill they are a massive advantage for most jobs!

Just my opinions and it sounds like you have experience so take them with a grain of salt.
  13. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I never would have guess that would be enough to move a fastener. Fascinating. This does sound like a situation where an automatic punch probably wouldn't work as well and end up just slipping off when you try to actuate it. Very neat.

I bought a tiny harbor freight lathe (7x10) because it was a steal ($200!) and I don't have the space for a real lathe (nor the funds). It's useful about three times per year, but the working envelop is just too small for many projects once you put a drill chuck on it, boring bar, any piece of stock about half the length of the working envelop... so just about any situation you want to use it in.

In my limited experience, parting off parts is a butt-clenching activity. A company I used to work for had a Grizzly lathe (around 12x42 with a stand and whatnot, pretty beefy setup for a modern chinese lathe) and every time any of us tried parting something off it was scary even when it worked.:pope
    Norman Foley and Takataka like this.
  14. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Same here, but a nice-sized South Bend lathe is desired along with a Bridgeport since I'm daydreaming. My Grizzly combo is nice, done some good work on it, but it's just too small for some of the work that I want to get done. :D
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can see that with you being into cars.I only rebuild bikes so don't need the big lathes. A small mill would be nice.
  16. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting!

I've used punches for stuck bolts since the butter screws on my DT-1 from back before the Bader Meinhoff gang. Punches leave a nice V-cut but the screws come loose.

Your photo is low rez so hard to see the detail, but I'll check that set of tools out, thanks.
  17. Cascao

Cascao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tool to fix early Braktec master cilinders (eating piston rubber)
    [​IMG]
    With master cilinder removed from bike and supported on bench upside down, I put this ball just over the reservoir to cilinder hole and give tool (suported on other side) a blow with a hammer leaving a ball impression over hole.
  18. Cascao

Cascao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is not an easy (or cheap) task find trials grips here in Brazil. So I came with this solution to convert enduro grips in trials ones:

https://flic.kr/p/2jeHdLr
    Buschog, Junglejeff1, D2W and 2 others like this.