Coolant and engine freeze protection

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Hoss Cartright, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Hoss Cartright

Hoss Cartright 219.474.6657

Oddometer:
    Sorry I'm a little late with this

LIQUID COOLED MOTORCYCLES IN GENERAL - FREEZE WARNING -

Please remember that in some areas it gets very cold this time of year!
    If you live in a cold climate and have not checked the "freeze protection" of the "ANTI freeze-coolant" in your motorcycle, you need to do this ASAP. (Especially if your machine is stored in an unheated place. If the coolant freezes, serious engine damage can result.)

Freezing of the coolant can ruin the radiator, crack the cylinder and/or cylinder head, and damage the water pump, pump cover and/or the clutch cover.

ALSO - Please keep in mind that if there is any water inside the magneto cover, (from creeks or washing) it can freeze and ruin the ignition stator. Storing motorcycles in unheated places is not the best scenario. Especially as the freezing, thawing, and moisture condensation which freezes and thaws is not good for most any mechanical devices.

Coolant should be anything compatible with aluminum engines (which is pretty much anything these days) and typically straight coolant is mixed 50/50 with distilled water or you buy the kind that is already pre-mixed and ready to use.
  2. Anachronism

Anachronism Lived Too Long

Oddometer:
  3. Hoss Cartright

Hoss Cartright 219.474.6657

Oddometer:
    Yes, but please check it as Western Europe coolant is not the same freeze protection as we have here.
  4. heffergm

heffergm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. heffergm

heffergm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you happen to change your coolant, a few things I noticed doing mine:

- if you turn the bars hard left and remove the radiator mount screw, you can fill with one of Ryan's fill bottles (https://rypusa.com/coolant-measuring-bottle/). By the time you spill some and burp the air out of the cylinder head, you'll use something around 400 - 500mL (I wasn't keeping track, but I used nearly a full bottle and didn't have much spillage).
    - I noticed that the drain bolt was a bit corroded, so I put a film of silicone grease on it. There might be something better to use (or perhaps nothing at all).
    - first bike with a bleed bolt at the top of the cylinder (my GG's I'd just put on an incline to get them to burp): the manual says 'loosen', I'd go with 'remove'. Replace as soon as you get coolant out of it.

As with all radiator fill bolts on trials bikes, don't torque it down hard, it really just needs to be snug.
  6. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those coolant bottles, or something similar, are pretty much the only way to fill the coolant on the pre-2018 Sherco bikes. If the radiator on mine ever gets damaged, it's getting replaced with the 2018 part, with the filler neck on the side. In the meantime, I bought a couple of cheap ketchup and mustard bottles at the Dollar Store and I use those. Ketchup = coolant, Mustard = gearbox oil.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have similar bottles that my wife gave me, I think she uses them for hair care or something. Basic clear bottle.
    Large syringes (with the needle replaced with a length of hose) work well too.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder how good that Evans stuff is???

:hmmmmm
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  9. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer
    Navin likes this.
  10. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Over the years I've seen praise for super coolants. I've ignored the praise and simply stuck with ethylene glycol-based (usually green but not always) coolants at 50-50 with water. Give me green and keep it simple.

The only place I use the pink stuff - propylene glycol - also known as RV antifreeze, is in sink traps and toilet bowls in mountain cabins, so I don't drink ethylene glycol percolating down from the septic tanks leach field to the well.

I buy straight green antifreeze. Which water? Distilled? I used to use that until I read how distilled water can be "ionically hungry."

https://www.hyperlube.com/blog/blog/why-you-should-never-use-distilled-water-in-your-cooling-system/

So now I just use what comes out of the tap instead of distilled water. I don't even use bottled water. I think it dumb to buy bottled water in any form anywhere in North America except maybe where city or well water is truly nasty. My idea of 'bottled water' is put tap water in a bike whiskey bottle and throw it in the fridge.

Eco coolants might 'save the earth', but I wonder what's in them? They are probably fine, but sometimes I wonder if it's a case of the good stuff is more toxic :-)

You know those religious folks who are against one ingredient (beef), but happily gobble a LONG list of chemically engineered ingredients all designed to just maybe sort of imitate a beef patty.

Are the eco coolants the same cornucopia of chemistry? I don't know. Again I do know the (typically) green stuff just works well.

I had the eco stuff in the 2007 BMW F650 GS. It trashed a water pump shaft and seal at 7,000 miles. At first I throught it might be the eco coolant not having adequate lubricity. The problem turned out to be grit blast media left in the cylinder and head, probably during casting de molding cleanup. The green stuff went in after pressure purging the system when new parts were fit. 11,000 miles later all remains good.

Ethylene glycol was chemically engineered in 1856. It is not so 'natural', but it is chemically simple. A one-time rapid ingestion of about 100cc can kill a person. But I don't drink it:jkam Still alive despite my generation playing with liquid mercury and break fluorescent tubes for fun. Probably the worst thing for us then was being forced to breathe second-lung smoke.
  11. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I hear you there motobene, this is pretty much my way of thinking, though I admit because I am on I run my tap water through a cheep carbon block filter to remove the minerals it contains before I mix my coolant.

I have to admit though, that as an experiment pick up some engine ice coolant for my 07 4RT and it seems to run the fan a bit less than before but it’s hard to say if that’s real or imagined because I wanted it to be better.
  12. motobene

Oddometer:
    We all do it. Take care of our machines with this or that and it just feels better to us :-)

As for ICE coolant, it has mystery ingredients. I wonder what the 'proprietary blend' is?
    Proprietary Blend.JPG

Triethanolamine?
    Triethanolamine.JPG

Whatever ICE is it's half water :-)
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  13. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    I've been using engine ice coolant in my bikes for the past several years and could definitely tell a difference compared to whatever comes stock in the bikes. As to whether it's better than just the plain 'ol ethylene glycol, who knows :dunno
    Whiskeywarlord and jonnyc21 like this.
  14. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gallon jug of premix. In the daily driver it is rated for 8 years and 105,000 miles without changing. Can't put the wrong water in it.
  15. slicktop

slicktop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As long as it kills coons, then it's my brand.
    Junglejeff1 and Brewtus like this.
  16. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you know of a brand without the bittering agent added let me know. As far as I know they all have it now.
    slicktop likes this.
  17. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Works like a charm on mice too. We had a mice infestation problem in an old trailer at the hunting camp. We tried all kinds of poisons and traps and finally one weekend before we left we sat little dishes of antifreeze at a number of prime spots inside. The next weekend we went there and it looked like a war zone. Bodies everywhere.
  18. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a interesting article but more of a sales pitch.I use RO water(pretty much the same as distilled water)And have overhauled mainy of my engines and disagree with it.My cooling systems are very clean without corrosion. I know a lot about water as it is a big part of my livelihood for the past 8 years(michigan hydro indoor farmer).The fantic I am rebuilding had well water in it and the water jacket and everything in it is full of oxide because of it.I spent a lot of time scrubbing the water jacket tonight because of it.The radiator is full of rust.I pondered what the heck caused this and called my friend and he just used his well water to refill the bike as it was steaming over all the time.As for softened water not having salt I must call bs.I have to by pass my water softener for that reason for my farming. I found that out real quick when I moved to this house. It may not be what is classified as salt but has the same effect. It will raise your blood pressure and creates nutrient lock out on plants.Drinking RO or distilled water will mess you up for the reasons you said.Our bodies get most of there p,s and k,s from water(no magic formula lol)Drinking ripped water will actually pull the magnesium and calcium out of your body and create bone loss and other nasty things.This was found out in the late 90,s when the stores were selling ripped water(RO).Issues came up and the government did a study to find out what was causing the problem.I liked ripped water for growing things(5 to 10 ppm)because I know what I am giving it to bring it to 1000 ppm.I like it for my cooling systems for the same reasons and really do not want iron in the water (I live in the iron belt).I have read mainy of your posts and you are obviously a very smart man and in no way is this aimed to be offensive.
    fprintf likes this.
  19. motobene

Oddometer:
    Is that what that was?:brow
  20. motobene

Oddometer:
    Junglejeff1 good points! I appreciate you saying something because I was not considering everything and especially where I lived 15 years ago. RO, ripped water. Interesting stuff. It's amazing how much there is to know about just about everything. Water is no exception.

You made me remember living 13 years on top of a glacial moraine in SW Michigan and fighting heavy iron in the well water. I had to run it through four filters in series before running it through a softener. The first filter would get orange in a day after changing, and it took only a couple of weeks to orange all the way to the fourth filter. I never put that junk in cooling systems! I did use distilled water then and later got away from that, but with better water.

In Oklahoma we are on rural water wells which are very deep. Some calcium and magnesium but otherwise quite good. Similar water in New Mexico. Neither places require a softener. 15 years of good water had me forgetting about 13 years of bad water.
    jonnyc21, Brewtus and Junglejeff1 like this.