Coolant leak?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by JohnRansom, Apr 13, 2020.

1. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After taking my bike out and riding around, I had the unfotunate luck to dump it. Not a really hard one, but it took me awhile to pick it up and it started leaking gas. Anyway, I picked it up and kept riding after seeing no obvious damage, and then rode again the next day, and everything seemed fine. Then Friday rolls around, and I take the bike out to clean it. I notice a little puddle of clear fluid on the ground. Water? No. I touched it, and the fluid is definitely oily, with no noticeable scent. Pretty sure that makes it coolant. I washed the bike down, and put the bike in a different spot in the garage to see if the leak was because it was the first set of warm weather rides overflowing the coolant a bit. I just checked today though, and there is another, slightly smaller puddle under it. There are also two oily looking spots on the radiator. Should I be worried? Or is it just as likely this is from the switch to warm weather?

Pictured: the puddle of ?coolant?, the oily spots on radiator, and a shiny right side where it looks like something is running down the radiator. Goodness I hope it didn't somehow break in the tip over.

20200413_232115.jpg 20200413_232138.jpg 20200413_232115.jpg 20200413_232138.jpg 20200413_232610.jpg
  2. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some disassembly may be required to investigate further... You dumped her now you get to undress her a bit and have a closer look under her dress... Call it ‘right of passage’.

If it were serious, the puddle would be much bigger.
    Take some body work off, grab a torch, a beer and have poke around... Some paper towel for the wet spots...

Check the top radiator hose clamp whilst you’re in there :)
  3. JohnRansom

Oddometer:
    Top radiator hose clamp? And yeah, I am hoping the small puddle means nothing major. I might have to get the gas tank off her to get a better look. Here is the spot that took her down. Those two rocks on the right were dead in the middle. Had to move them just to pick the bike up, that's why it took so long. Thankfully I wasn't going fast at all. Put up those sticks to warn off others. View attachment 2244415
  4. JohnRansom

Oddometer:
    20200409_113630.jpg
    Flatroads, braaap! and EvilSteve like this.
  5. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    WIth those rock gone, it looks like perfectly passable to me. SEND IT! :D
  7. JohnRansom

Oddometer:
    Yeah sure it is NOW. Lol. Imagine my surprise when I came up over that hill and saw that rock pile right in my line.
  8. JohnRansom

Oddometer:
    Update: it certainly looks like the thermostat hose is leaking. What a PITA to get to though. Im tempted to pull the tank off to make sure its snug on there.
  9. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a warranty issue.
    EvilSteve likes this.
  10. JohnRansom

Oddometer:
    You were right. Dropped the bike off to the dealer, hopefully itll be fixed tomorrow.
    EvilSteve and BobcatSig like this.
  11. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    True. But if the op is handy with a wrench he can have the tank off and the clamps snuggled up and know it's done right in a whole lot less time than the time to drop it off, wait on the shop to get around to it, and then go pick it up. And if the shop is questionable they might "find" an issue they blame on the drop and charge for repairs.
  12. JohnRansom

Oddometer:
    Apparently the rear brake line already had a recall so that kinda clinched it for me. Two birds with ine stone.
    windblown101 and EvilSteve like this.
  13. JohnRansom

Oddometer:
    Just to update this for any future people, it turned out that it was not just a loose hose, but instead the thermostat housing itself was warped and broken. So I had to have that ordered in. Fortunately, it is warranty work and costs me nothing. I had the rear brake line recall and cruise control work done while they have the bike.
  14. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Mine just started leaking at 2,300 miles. I've been noticing the unmistakable scent of coolant for a few weeks, but no evidence of a leak. Well today there was quite a little puddle under the bike and some in the inside of the skid plate. Doesn't leak when it's running. Oh well, have to make an appointment for another countershaft seal (new one leaking much worse the the original) and brake recall anyway
  15. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Yikes. Let us know what the issue was with the coolant leak. I also have a '20, but my rear brake issue was caught before it left the factory. No issues with coolant leaks yet.
  16. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Just checked it cold this morning expecting to find another puddle. Clean, nothing, and the overflow tank is almost full. Hmmmm. It's not enough of a leak to be a problem at this point, but I'll have it checked anyway. On the 790 Duke forums there is a common issue of leaks at the thermostat hose clamp. I'll keep an eye on that and report. My countershaft seal however is leaking like an old air-cooled VW.
  17. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Would a quick snug of the clamp help?

As for the countershaft seal, I've been intentionally running my chain loose. After my 600 mile service, the dealer tech had my chain tight as a drum.
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The oil cooler seals could be a real PITA on those...

:lol3
    JP4 likes this.
  19. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, not to mention push rod tube seals! I spent several years as a Porsche/Audi/VW tech in my youth, so I'm well versed in fluid leaks
    BobcatSig and windblown101 like this.
  20. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the same intermittent leak, turned out to just need the hose clamps tightened. One thing to watch, some folks have had the overflow bottle full but the radiator low so you may want to pull the rh plastics and check the radiator.
    JP4 likes this.