Coolant leak?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by JohnRansom, Apr 13, 2020.

1. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    I spoke too soon. On closer inspection a small puddle inside the skid plate dripping off the engine case above oil filter. Will investigate in the morning tomorrow. IMG_20200513_143203579~2.jpg
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Had you wiped that area prior, or could that be blow back from riding if a hose clamp were loose etc?
    JP4 likes this.
  3. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    That was after sitting all night. I did wipe it down the day before and stuck my head up there with a bright light and didn't see anything. I rode for a couple hours today and every time I stopped there was a strong coolant smell, so it's either dripping onto the exhaust manifold or just evaporating off the hot engine case.
    Most of these on the Duke seem to be a hose clamp buried way up where you can't reach it. I'll take a more solid look tomorrow.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  4. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    After going out to find another puddle today, I popped off the skid plate again and found the source of the leak. Like has been documented by others, it was leaking from the hose attached to the thermostat. Fortunately the clamp was positioned perfectly to reach with a 6mm socket on a swivel. Snugged it up, ran it until the fan came on, and it looks like that fixed it.
    IMG_20200514_101450724.jpg IMG_20200514_102809529~2.jpg IMG_20200514_102943047.jpg
  5. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dealer just confirmed my coolant leak is due to a warped thermostat housing. New one ordered.
  6. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think mine is leaking at the thermostat housing. Tighting the hose clamps 1K ago didn't help. Still waiting on the dealer to get back with me about it.
  7. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is leaking a fair amount after it cools down.
    IMG_7591.jpg
  8. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Which year is your bike?
  9. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a 2020 (S not R).
  10. Poweranger

Oddometer:
    I tightened my clamps around 1k ago but still have a leak so last night I investigated a little further into it. I took a picture and zoomed in and it looks to me like it is leaking from the hose. I removed the top portion of my BDCW skid plate so I could get a screwdriver to the hose clamp. The clamp was positioned in a way that it was difficult to get tightened all the way so I loosened it up, repositioned it, and tightened it down good. Will see if that solves it.

20200815_075518.jpg
    roookie1 and brunosac like this.
  11. DanOGrande

DanOGrande vorn and confused

Oddometer:
    My thermostat housing just started to leak. I’ve got about 3000 miles on a 2020 S.
  12. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I try to not be such a skeptic (must come with age) but I sort of doubt the thermostat housings are leaking.

My inner skeptic says "KTM probably doesn't pay the dealer to snug up a hose clamp and check two bolts." so... easier to get paid if that housing needs replacement.
    Flatroads likes this.
  13. Poweranger

Oddometer:
    Check that hose clamp on the housing. I tightened mine up and it still leaked for another 1000 miles so I assumed I had a bad housing or gasket. Last week I repositioned the hose clamp and was able to tighten it better. No more leaking now.
    JP4 likes this.
  14. DanOGrande

DanOGrande vorn and confused

Oddometer:
    I can see the coolant glistening at the interface of the plastic thermostat housing and the cylinder head. It’s not weeping around the end of the hose. I could get a long blade screwdriver up there and the hose clamp couldn’t be tightened anymore anyway. I’m gonna let the dealer handle this. Since the housing is only like a ....$35 part, might as well replace it while the tech has spent a lot of time exposing it. If a piece of plastic has warped during repeated heat cycles, perhaps it’d never seal again even when snugged down. I may even buy the housing now and have it ready. Earliest I could get an appt is September 4 and I don’t wanna wait for the service tech to affirm what I’ve seen then wait for the part to arrive. I live in Montana and you never know. Could be the last few weeks of riding season .