Coolest motorcycle shows you've been to?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by hondabtr, Sep 29, 2018.

1. hondabtr

hondabtr D'ya like dags? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't see a forum that I thought I could ask this question, so if you all think it needs to be in another forum I can move it. What are some of the coolest motorcycle shows you've been to? My #1 has to be the Bearded Lady Motorcycle Freak Show in Minneapolis ( which isn't being held anymore) and the Handbuilt Show in Austin.. I should have the supercharged speedway bike ready by summer's end and doing some cool shows would be great.
  2. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Barber Vintage Festival
    413Sean, hb9400 and oldskool63 like this.
  3. madrider5150

madrider5150 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been to bearded lady, good time, was bummed to hear it ended. Vintage torque fest in Dubuque, Mama tried -didn't even get in the show-crazy lines but went to indoor flat track races, really cool. Harley Davidson 110th in Milwaukee was probably the best, motorcycle show and festival at almost every local dealership with events and concerts at the summer fest grounds, Brady street and others huge festival atmosphere, bikes everywhere, so fun.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
  4. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Madison used to have the five points show, might not be going on anymore though..

5. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely this. Just the bikes parked along the road that people have ridden there on is a show! On my way this Thursday!.
  6. hondabtr

Oddometer:
    Yes, 5 points is done. Done Mama Tried. Cant seem to get to VTF. Do they have many bikes show up? There is a new one to me called The Outliers Guild show in LA, and the Brooklyn Invitational. Haven't been to either of those places. Also going to try the Full throttle Florida show at Sturgis. Won Vintage class at that show in Florida.
    madrider5150 likes this.
  7. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    Not really too many bikes at vtf but the ones that showed up were pretty cool and they had some dirt track racing on some vintage Harley's. I plan to hit the one show in Portland and would like to get to Sturgis next year..

8. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    The One Show in Portland is pretty good. I may be biased, they invited me last year. :)
    madrider5150 likes this.
  9. hondabtr

Oddometer:
    Ah yes. The One. Its on my bucket. I may be biased too, they invited me two years ago and I couldn't get through a blizzard. Will you post a pic of the invited bike for those that missed it?
  10. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    The Slimey Crud Motorcycle run. Held in Spring and Fall every year. Ton's of actual riders bikes to see, from bone stock, to the absolute bizarre.

http://www.slimeycrudrun.com/

It began as an inside joke, short run for a few local guys, then grew and grew... and grew. It does get slightly more commercialized every year (They sell T-Shirts now), but there are still some great and rare bikes to see, ALL ridden to the event, none trailered.

It's actually a ride, not a show, but if you like all types of bikes, you'll love it. :ricky...:thumb
    kcoralj, hondabtr and madrider5150 like this.
  11. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I've been to the Barber Museum, but not during the festival. I can only imagine how awesome that would be.

I go to the races at Laguna Seca every year. Some years it was MotoGP, but currently we are back to WSBK. There are always small shows, and the attendees always bribg their interesting bikes to get around the track. Also 4 or 5 manufacturers bring a fleet of bikes for demo rides. I always hold off on drinking Saturday morning to ride as many as I can.

The Isle of Man TT was the most amazing event I've been to, even though that isn't technically a show either. It basically turns a small island into the biggest motorcycle gathering you can imagine. So awesome.

I have been meaning to get to the Quail Motorcycle Gathering one of these years, so if anyone has been I'd love to hear what they thought.
    hondabtr likes this.
  12. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have attended the Hand Built Moto Show in Austin twice. Liked the atmosphere at that show both times. Both locations they have used were a bit dark in the lighting department. Worth the trip since it also is the same weekend as MotoGP.

Attended the Quail Gathering this year. The setting is Carmel so no way that is going wrong. Only issue was many of the bikes were at the Austin show. That’s cool because in the daylight you can see some detail that would not normally be visible in the dark confines indoors.
    hondabtr likes this.
  13. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leaving in the morning for my 10th Barber Vintage Festival, Here in Fl. Jan. the Dania Beach Vintage show, and in May the Riding Into History show
  14. ThruTheDunes

ThruTheDunes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clovis Rodeo Weekend - I was there in 1974 and they close off blocks in town solely for motorcycle parking. People were coming in to town from everywhere on some of the oddest machines (at least at that time). All kinds of biker gangs represented. Took a cruise up toward Friant and Millerton and there were places where acres of bikes had gathered. Kind of like Prophet's experience: not a show, per se, but man, what a show.
    hondabtr likes this.
  15. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    hondabtr likes this.
  16. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    The best around KC was Ralph Wayne's Backyard Nationals. Saw everything from an 09 HD Silent Grey Fellow to a Motus, all ridden in and displayed in a small southern KC neighborhood. FREE BEER, free food, great bikes; it doesn't get a whole lot better with your clothes on.
    hondabtr likes this.
  17. hondabtr

Oddometer:
    Tried to find it. Doesn't look like they've had it since 2013? Sound right?
    severely likes this.
  18. madrider5150

Oddometer:
    I've got a few of these, basically same pattern every year that a couple of the bars sell. Lots of bonehead riders last time we went, the type of behavior that deserves a punch in the face. But most years an awesome time with good vibes and cool bikes. [​IMG]

19. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    In the end, no matter what type of event there is, a few asswipes show up. I've seen the same from all different types of supposed "riders". The worst is idiots stunting on the roads on the way up there - a perfect way to get the event cancelled or banned - piss off the locals.

Oh well, nothing much you can do other than ignore them, and not participate in the idiocy. Fortunately it's a very small %age of the total.
  20. kcoralj

kcoralj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The boneheads only show up when the weather is nice.
    Vintage Torque Fest fest is usually the same weekend, I always see lots of rods on 151 when I make the spring one.