CoPilot for iphone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by scootertrog, Sep 19, 2014.

1. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I know there is a lot of discussion on these various smartphone apps, but I could not track (no pun, lol) down some answers to a few specific issues. Perhaps someone that is experienced with CoPilot can help me?

I recently downloaded the "FREE" version of CoPilot to my iphone4 (running ios7.1.2). Issues that I have run into so far:

1. The "arrow" that mimics my current location just runs off the screen, it does not keep the map centered while traveling. Having to swipe (or pan) the screen renders this a useless program while moving, IMO. Surely this isn't how it's supposed to work, is it?

2. Starting out from my start point, the "arrow" travels down, towards the "HOME" button. This is backwards to me, and in fact, I have to constantly rotate the phone to mimic the true turn directions.

3. I have been experimenting with laying out trial routes. It places these little gold-colored stop points on the map. After I am done, these points don't go away, they are starting to clutter up my map, even though I "clear" the route. Is there a way to clear off these route points?

4. I have not figured out how to save the route, or where it would be stored.

Are these issues inherent to the FREE version, and all go away if I buy the PREMIUM version? I have no issue with buying the PREMIUM version (I do want voice turn-by-turn navigation to stream into my Sena). I just don't want to pay for the program if it will operate the same way.

And I also noticed, the iphone does run considerably hotter with this program in operation. I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 1490T, that I have a RAM cradle (and Aquabox for rain service) for duty. It is accurate about 90% of the time - it's that other 10% that really sucks, as it always gets confused with it's routing at the worst possible time, lol.
  2. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I purchased CoPilot for Iphone during my last trip across Arizona/California. Overall it was good, but still, couldn't change the route as easily as I would have liked. THey offer you alternative routes, but unless you know of an exact address or town to add as a waypoint, you can't change the details of the route much. For example, I wanted to stick to the PCH as much as possible, but it kept throwing me on the 101.

Also don't like how it doesn't speak out the exit names or numbers, it just says "Next exit". This was a pain in some areas where the sun was direct on my phone, and couldn't read the screen.

Also couldn't back the map view without throwing it into a mess. Sometimes I just want to see where it's taking me. I think for my next trip, I'll bring along a full size iPad w/GPS module so i can see full size maps on my tank bag when needed. Still use the iPhone for heads up GPS though.

Personally, I like Google Maps display and voice commands much better. But, i kept getting pop up messages like traffic warnings and possible map accuracy checks. Fine if your driving, but a pain to clear the messages when riding.

Also tried TomTOm Iphone demo in car. Hatted it.

Ideally, I'd like to have an iPad or iPad mini as the controlled and big map display on my tank, then have it feed via bluetooth the heads up to my iPhone. Originally, I wanted to use an iPad mini for hte heads up, but it's just too large on the KTM 1190.
  3. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Well, so far, I have not seen anything that beats my laminated notes that I put in my tank bag window, lol.

Antirich5 - I'm a 675net member as well (Neanderthal). :D
  4. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know/use an iPhone, but:
    When I told a friend of mine how I like to use CoPilot on my Android, he thought I was crazy. He had tried it and said it was almost unusable on the iPhone. He praised another program, I think it was MotionX(?).

So the impression that I got is that the Android version is good, and the iPhone version sucks.
  5. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ive used MotionX GPS for the iPhone. I need to practice some more with it and free up some space for downloaded maps.
    It is not as simple as the old Garmin, but then I don't have to deal with Garmin either.
    I am in the process of building amount for my Wahoo case for the phone to mount above the dash on the 990.
  6. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    OK - I stumbled onto the fix for item #2. When traveling South (Arrow was moving north - towards the iphone HOME button), I just tapped the compass symbol and now the arrow travels in the direction I am actually moving.

edit....
    And also realized that saving or loading Routes (Question 4), are not permitted with the FREE version.
  7. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    I purchased the CoPilot Premium app last night, will put it through it's paces in the next few weeks. I can already see some operational flaws compared to a dedicated Garmin GPS, but the Garmin wasn't perfect either, lol. If nothing else.... this will make a great back-up for only $8. I did have to shut my Nuvi off for about an hour during one leg of our trip, I don't know if it overheated and was just really cornfused. I did have it in a RAM Aquabox so I am suspecting it maybe got too warm.
  8. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    OK - I got pretty much everything to work well, except the "turn-by-turn" voice instruction to stream into my Sena SMH-10. Help from CoPilot's forum was very "good luck, it may or may not work", lol. Has anyone succeeded with the iPhone-CoPilot-Sena combo in regards to "voice-by-voice".

As for some pre-built routing questions I have seen, it is very easy to build your route in RouteConverter (best route builder I've ever used, works great for Garmin Nuvi too!) and save as a .trp file. That .trp file can then be transferred to the iphone. After several tests, all my routes have transferred exactly as laid out in RouteConverter. :clap
  9. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Got it! :D

I didn't have the "use same volume as voice prompt" checked, instead I had "mute during voice prompt" checked. I thought by checking that option, it would turn down the music so I could hear the voice prompts, lol. CoPilot isn't too clear with their instructions, or it's just my age, lol. Still need to run a couple tests to see how CoPilot handles short/temporary off-route excursions, but so far this app looks really good.
  10. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    Scootertrog,
    I too use the Ram Aquabox (large) and I did two things to alleviate the overheating of my Note 3.

1. I painted the back of the Ram box white

2. I bought a very small carabiner and I use it to secure the box partially open. The clip that goes over to secure the box I put inside the box and then use the carabiner to close the box. It leaves an air gap about a cm wide which allows the heat to escape. I can quickly close it if heavy rain appears.

Hope this helps.
  11. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    On Android, does CoPilot Pro announce street names?
  12. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    My only experience with it is on iphone, so I can't confirm. According to the CoPilot website, I believe it does.
  13. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    well, it kinda did. copilot was one of my least favorite navigation applications. google maps was a much better UI, better map info, and better rerouting, without killing the battery. oh , and free.

i'd rather use locus pro for street, dirt roads, and no roads than anything else though. every possible imaginable option, with none of the fisher-price ui elements.
  14. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Each program suits a requirement, none are perfect except to the creator, lol. I don't need or want every possible imaginable option. I want simplicity and accuracy - both of which CoPilot so far is providing. :D
  15. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, at least mine doesn't..! But I don't want my GPS to get to chatty anyway, I find it annoying. My friends Garmin does that and it drives me nuts, way too distracting.! And it mispronounces most of the names which makes it even worse..

I'm happy with CoPIlot. I like Locus for backcountry and off-road stuff, loading GPX files, but it just doesn't cut it for most on-road. It lacks decent route planning, doesn't have the 'millions or POI's' built in (which I use extensively while traveling), and just lacks many features I'm accustomed to in CoPilot. It could be that some of them are there, but I don't see the need to try and figure them out when CP does just about everything I need it to do..
  16. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    CoPilot Premium does announce Street Names depending upon your settings as mentioned above. What I find quite annoying is the lack of official support for File Sharing. Yes, you can use backdoor methods to get RTP files into the proper CoPilot directory but that is hardly a method most users would be able to figure out or want to continually deal with given that File Sharing has been enable for years on iOS.

I posted a Tweet to @CoPilotSupport asking, when CoPilot Premium was going to support .RTP File Import via AirDrop. I received a reply-tweet today, "We do not have plans to release this feature. However, I have added your comments our feature enhancement list."

If you are a CP Premium user and would like to see this supported I recommend contacting CoPilotSupport.
  17. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Although I grumble about the lack of File Sharing support in CoPilot Premium, I have found the process of getting RTP and OV2(POI) files into CoPilot easy enough if you have the right software on you Mac/Win computer.

I use iExplorer which lets me mount my iPhone just like any other storage device and I can explore the Apps and their file structure on the iPhone.

It's simple enough to copy my RTP and OV2 files to the CoPilot/Documents/NA/Save folder where CoPilot will find them when re/started.

It would be nice if RTP supported more than one route/file but I suppose I can live with sending multiple files per Trip.

[​IMG]
  18. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    ^ Good program. I've been pretty satisfied with iMazing, another "explorer-type" program for ios devices. It's pretty easy to transfer routes into CoPilot's folder as described above.
  19. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I need the spec's for Custom POI Icons. Nothing I've tried is working.

Type: BMP, JPG or PNG?
    Size: 22x22px, 44x44px, 100x100px?
    Color Depth: 8bit, 24bit?
  20. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    I love that however I have a droid
    Anyone know of somthing like that for a droid?