1. eNewsletter Sign Up

CoPilot for iphone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by scootertrog, Sep 19, 2014.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll assume you mean the iExplorer app(?).

If so, depends upon your computer: OS X, or Windows?
  2. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Not much help here - I've hardly touched the POI's, lol. A quick Google-fu search turned up this:

http://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/forum/10.html

Maybe the specific info you need is buried within? When I get some downtime, I'll start exploring this forum, up until now, I've just been doing a lot of route reliability testing.
  3. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link to GPS-Data-Team but even the BMP files they have aren't working on CoPilot Premium HD v9.6.2.812.

I think it's a problem with CoPilot. I've consistently used 22x22px, RGB 8-bit, No Alpha, 1K files.

If anyone manages to get a custom Icon to show up in the Icon selection list, please let use know.
  4. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Yes the IExplorer. That is very cool
    Windows
  5. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Windows Explorer will do this for you in Windows with attached Android devices. It mounts as an MTP storage device.
  6. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    At a guess, it's probably the same as Tom Tom. Which accepts a 22px bmp and on some devices a 44px bmp with the same name as the 22px one with an "_x2" suffix.

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/TomTomTips/index.html?creating_poi_set_icon.htm
  7. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Nope. At least not my CoPilot Premium HD. I've tried every combination and none are being used with the imported POI.
  8. SpudMonkey

SpudMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure this will be of much help either, but the latest 9.6.2.807 running on Android the POI custom import works with this format:

Type: BMP
    Size: 24x24px
    Color Depth: 8bit

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/5091-how-add-custom-pois-copilot-live-android (scroll down to end of 1st post)
  9. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess try 24px and then shoot 'em a tech support email and post their reply here.

As a programmer my opinion is that this isn't custom GPS hardware like Garmin uses therefore it should to support any image format at any size.
  10. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    22x22px, 24x24px, 44x44px, 100x100px in both BMP and PNG - none of which work on v9.6.2.812 of CoPilot Premium HD for iOS.

It's been posted.
  11. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Stumbled on this thread - don't know if this info is helpful or not. There's some intermixing of Android in it as well, so it went back and forth. Maybe there is something here that may help:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/31260

At the very bottom of the page, this comment was made:
    With the help of Laptop World I have it figured out. Convert the .bmp file to .png. The Icon can not be any larger then 22 x 22. Install as stated above on "how to download a .ov2 file".
  12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Not applicable - that conversation is all about CoPilot Live v8 (Android), although I've tried all (as note above) Icon format combinations.

I believe that CoPilot Premium HD, for iOS, was not enabled to import custom POI Icon's. I'll find out Monday when Support comes back to work...right after they fix my free ActiveTraffic subscription.

After reading over 30 threads regarding CoPilot POI Icon's, I have come to the conclusion that not all CoPilot Apps are created equal.
  13. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    CoPilot Support finally got around to actually trying to import a Custom POI Icon in CoPilot Premium HD for iOS. It didn't work. They have created a bug report with Development.

Oh, and according to Support, the format is 'suppose to be' the same on all CoPilot Apps: 22x22px, 16-bit, PNG.
  14. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Looks like you've got their attention. :clap
  15. sbklrfun

sbklrfun Looking for Adventure

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to reverse your route that you created? I recently created a route to Death Valley but could not figure out how to simply reverse it to get back home the same way. Maybe this is not an option? I do have the version that cost me $9.00.
  16. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    No, there is no option to Reverse a Route. Would be nice. Post the request on the CoPilot Forum. Keep in mind though that reversing a Route is not as simple as reversing a Track. There can be conditions where reversing a route could add many mile on to a route.
  17. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your pics look like iExplorer on a mac. I don't have a mac. I run itunes on my pc and don't see copilot under apps. Ill see if iExplorer will run on pc.

Update: I did install iExplorer for windows. Works great. Can see all of iPad.

Thanks
  18. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it sorted out. :D Different look, but same folder names within the actual app. Once you do it a couple times, it's pretty easy.
  19. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    With help from here I have been able to get a solution I like. Now to actually try it on a trip. As soon as the temp gets above freezing.

Have Tyre loaded on PC. I like Tyre - easy to use. Can save files in several types, including GPX.

Also have ITN converter loaded on PC. Can open files in several formats and save as several also. Can save as TRP format for Copilot.

Use iExplorer to move files from PC to iPad mini. I'm ready to try this mini as gps on bike. Seems big, but we will see. Will use Copilot.

Was able to get routes from others, GPX, load into Tyre for review, edit.

Convert into TRP files using ITN converter.

Move into Copilot route folder on iPad using iExplorer

Easy. Works great. Easiest yet.

Thanks again for the help and direction.

Frank

Tyre - Free
    ITN Convert - Free
    iExplorer - $ 35. There is a free version
    Copilot - $ 35
  20. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    I think you'll be pretty happy with your set-up. An iPad mini should make one heck of a nice GPS. Don't know what you ride, but a mini would be a little too big (for my vanity, lol) on a Street Triple. I'll probably pick up a 6s in about 3 years, lol. :D

Curious though about how you got $35 into CoPilot? The Premium version was running about $10, at least through December 2014.