CoPilot for iphone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by scootertrog, Sep 19, 2014.

1. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My mistake. Copilot $14.99. Premium HD

I ride a 12GS. No problem with size.
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those of you so inclined, life just got a little easier for getting your Trips Planned and into a TRP format.

Furkot now has a TRP Export. You get one TRP file per Trip Route Day. More than one Day and the TRP files are all zipped together.

The "additional route points" that you can add upon Export are appended to the Route's existing points. If you set the "maximum number" to 20 and the Route segment has 10, then 10 more will be added to the existing route. If the Route segment has 20, then none will be added. The appended points are logically spread along the route to try and assure that the route will be calculated faithfully in CoPilot. CoPilot Premium will take up to 100 route points per route - reliably.

[​IMG]
  3. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dan,
    Is it possible to get Furkot to export the route in trp format but as waypoints? Otherwise Copilot treats every section between waypoints as a separate route with a start and a destination. Changing them to waypoints one at a time in CoPilot is a pain and I have not found a way to do a bulk change.
  4. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    The current Route Export format is the 'standard' CoPilot TRP format. At the end of each segment you will be presented with the next segment. I can see how this might not be the best representation so I will pass the suggestion along to the Furkot Dev Team to see if they can remove the code;

Start StopOpt=Stop 0
    Loaded=1
    End StopOpt

between Stops. This will tell CoPilot to use all of the Route Points as Waypoints.
  5. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    DryByk, I copied your response to the Furkot thread, as they may not be monitoring this one. For those who dont know about it, here is the link directly to the Dev's thread in Vendors. The guy is responsive and makes changes quickly. I love that he is wanting to give a lot of focus to ADV needs.

Furkot Thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959091
  6. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I've sent an email to the Dev Team. For future reference, he is a she. :deal
  7. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Didn't know that. Love that map, though. I have switched to using it for all trips, bike or car.
  8. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am finding Furkot desperately slow once I get about 20 points on it. It seems overly complex too, for my needs. I prefer the speed and ease of use of motoplaner http://www.motoplaner.de/ For OSM maps this is also a lightning fast routing server http://map.project-osrm.org/

I am not sure why routing apps on the web vary so much in speed, especially those that use Google maps as a basis. I am guessing that they have different deals with Google that confer speed options for more money. Or is it simply that the code they surround the routing stuff with, is so variable in efficiency?

I am not clear how many of these sites monetize their service - are they hoping for commission from (eg in the case of Furkot) hotels that people pick while planning a route, I wonder?
  9. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I don't seem to have any performance issues and I have Trips with many more than 20 points in them. My past experience would lead me to believe that the variation in Application performance is due to your ISP's routing to the App and not the App. To my knowledge Furkot only uses Google Map API - which is not compute intensive. Having said that you might share your Trip with the Furkot team and request they try to determine why you're are having a performance issue.

By the way, I did look at how CoPilot was handling the Furkot Export and it would appear to be doing what it should. If you are getting all Stops in your Exported TRP file it's because you have them set as such in Furkot. Try changing most of your route points to "Pass-through". That will make them CoPilot Waypoints upon Export so CoPilot should not segment your route visually.

I expect you have read Furkot's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. They are very clear as to the fact that this site is free to use with no banner Ads. But, they do receive small commissions from Travel Partners when you actually book through Furkot to their site.

As for how various mapping sites make their money, most have a lot of Ads. In addition, most sell your activities and data on the site to various web sources. This should all be outlined in their PP & ToU documents. If they are more that a page or two and full of legalese, you can bet they don't want you to really know.
  10. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    By the way Chris, when you Exported your Trip by selecting CoPilot (TRP) did you also select ROUTES option? If you don't all of your Furkot route points (Pass-through & Stops) are coded as CoPilot Stops. If you select Routes, even if you don't add points, the Furkot Pass-through points are coded as CoPilot Waypoints and Furkot Stops are coded as CoPilot Stops.
  11. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dan,

Thanks for this. I did indeed neglect to check the routes option! When all else fails, RTFM I suppose…
  12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I don't know how others use CoPilot but I have found it necessary to make sure I have the Vehicle Preferences set to Car Routing. If you use Motorcycle, CoPilot will do what most routing engines do and look for small roads that do not necessarily go through your waypoints/stops without routing out-and-back.

The Car option has almost always given me acceptable results.
  13. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Hmm... I'm currently set up using the motorcycle icon. I just did it that way from the very beginning. I've also been accused of using too many waypoints in my routes, lol. I have not encountered any problems yet, maybe a lot of my routed roads are these "small roads" you refer too? The weather is too crappy here to ride, so it'll be a good while before I can make much use of it.
  14. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    It's not an issue of routing on secondary or even tertiary (unpaved) roads. It's more like CoPilot will not route directly between your waypoints/stops if there is any other way to go. I suppose if you added enough points in a route it might calculate the path you had planned. For me, it's easier to use the Car mode and have it route as I planned - not as CoPilot thinks a 'motorcycle' would go.
  15. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    I see. I'll switch it and see how it goes. Right now, I'd just be happy to be able to ride, I wouldn't care if I got lost, lol. :D
  16. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Where there is a will there is a way...

[​IMG]
  17. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought it was only in London where you get your wheels stolen! :D
  18. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    iOS 8.3 has the following limitation:

As of iOS 8.3, only Apps with "File Sharing Enabled" can access the Documents folder.

CoPilot, as we all know, does NOT support File Sharing. So, you can no longer use third-party File Managers to send your TRP or OV2 files to CoPilot.

I have very low expectations that ALK (aka CoPilot) will update the app to support File Sharing or even the ability to Open a received file (email Attachment or AirDrop) in iOS.

Guess I can delete another crap Nav App from my iPhone/iPad.
  19. scootertrog

Oddometer:
    Well this would royally suck. I haven't found another program that is as practical or easy to use.

Then again - I'm still on ios7 something, and no current plans to update.
  20. Larry3020

Larry3020 Been here awhile

Oddometer: